2/10 Moses PMPS 315 +4~264

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Erica & Moses, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Yesterday's Condo:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5782

So after yesterday's escapades of getting into Ellie's HC food downstairs, Moses is in the red, on my off day that I wanted to do testing. Suprisingly, he seems to be acting just fine. Completely normal behavior. We'll see if he goes potty a lot today, I guess I can check that out, yay!

*Question- It took him around 5 days to gain lower bluer numbers after he had a treat taste test on 2/5 (spiked BG 50 points). Today he's almost quadrupled that BG with his 416 AMPS (spiked BG by 242 points!). Is there anyway I could help him get lower quickly?

I gave him .75u this morning. Should I up it back to 1u? Or more? I just see this taking weeks to get out of his system and Moses in the reds that long does not sound good. :?

He actually looks pretty wiped out right now. Maybe nap time... poor Moses....

2. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Re: 2/10 Moses AMPS 416 Question

Moses.. what is happening here? Give momma those good #s again...

Erica.. Baby & I are cheering you both on!!

:RAHCAT

3. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Thanks Nicole & Baby.

I'm totally worried about him. Now that we're up and about, he doesn't seem fine at red. I will test him at +6 to see how much the .75u of insulin is helping. :sad:

4. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I wish I could help you with the dose question...let's see what others say about increasing his dose. What is he doing that makes you think he is not ok? I am thankful this happened at time where you would be off to watch him.

My thoughts are with you and Moses. cat_pet_icon

5. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

hmmm, got into dry food could explain the reds...Erica, do you have any numbers from last nite?

Spotcheck what you can in this cycle and we go from there.

and let's get some details on what exactly he is doing that is worrying you besides the numbers. Look at the whole cat. k?

6. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Sometimes exercise helps to lower BGs...it really would be good if you could test
    him before bed, even if he is high. As Ronnie said, more tests today and see if running
    up and down the stairs helps....withOUT stopping by the dry food dish of course... :lol:

7. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Okay, half an hour later and Moses is active. That might have been cat nap attitude earlier, but Moses never has attitude. I just heard him playing with Tailey right now, that's good. And I heard him "surprise" meow in the background. Okay good.

Earlier, he was slumped in his chair. Looking really uncomfortable. Soft purring, his are usually deep like a motor. Moses is the kinda cat that you can bury your face in his big belly and he'll "hello" meow and purr and start grooming you. It wasn't like him.

And just now, I found a blanket he peed on. That is not totally unusual behavior, but it is rare. I do things to control it and that's slightly odd.

I guess it's all just one big learning process and my emotions are still in play! I'm still not used to his healthy BG behavior when he was blue/green, going from bouncy to tired bouncy to tired. He used to always be tired, with a random smack here and there.

LB is good, a couple healthy poops. No pee b/c it's on the blanket, which is now being washed. And he's preening now.... so he's seemingly better.

You are so right Ronnie & Luna, about the spot checks. I thought in my thrifty brain "okay, now I can save strips for the better days, I don't want to waste them." Thanks for clueing me in, I will get a spot check. I'll go for three.

And now that he's hyper, we can play. Oh, Moses doesn't go downstairs... that's Ellie's territory. She's the other cat.... I'll get some pics up :mrgreen:

8. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

My gut tells me not to go to 1.0 IE. I would do that if he would stay in the reds for a longer time (say 3 to 4 day's or so).
    But I don't know.
    I hope more experienced users have input on that.

9. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Re: 2/10 Moses AMPS 416 +5~295 Question

Yay!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 295!

It dropped 121 points and we're not even at his peak yet!!! yay!!!

I thought he'd have to inch around like he did those yellow days recently. I guess if it's higher BG, his comeback is greater. Oh yes! Happy happy joy joy!

We will definetly get some playtime in today. And I'll give you a +6 peak in an hour.

Thanks for the support ya'll, we couldn't be here without you. My brain woulda been spent a long time ago! cat_pet_icon

10. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Re: 2/10 Moses AMPS 416 +5~295

YaY Moses :RAHCAT

Keep up the good work boyeee!!! bcatrun_gif

Erica I bet this makes you feel soooo much better. Hope he stays down from all the party time downstairs.

11. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Re: 2/10 Moses AMPS 416 +5~295

Thanks Paige :mrgreen:

B/t/w I really like your updated photos in your signature. It's so cute how Webber has little silver hairs with his coat, especially in those kitten photos! I don't think Moses is that fluffy and silvery. I lack a lot of his kitten photos b/c we got him when I was 14. And as a 14 year old, obsessed with her kitten, I took tons of photos and cut them out and taped them everywhere. None left ohmygod_smile

Chococat power!

bcatrun_gif

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 2/10 Moses AMPS 416 +5~295 +6~281

What a sneaky boy! Maybe Moses learned his lesson about inhaling dry food and how it makes his belly feel! (One can only hope.)

Before seeing your updated numbers, my suggestion would be to give the dry gunk time to work it's way out of Moses' system - at least 24 hours. Trying to evaluate what's going on or bumping up the dose when the HC stuff is on it's way out could be a recipe for an unnecessary drop in BG. Seeing your updated numbers makes it clearer that Moses is getting back to better places. I hope you talk to your family and make sure they understand that they aren't doing Moses any favors by letting him hang out where there's a bowl of dry food around ('cause the minute they turn their back, you know where Moses' face will be!!).

13. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Re: 2/10 Moses AMPS 416 +5~295 +6~281

Hey Sienne & Gabby, thanks.

Ya, it was actually quite the situation yesterday with the family. Not to get into the details, but ya'll saw me flip when I came home and got a test of 423. Went to talk to my parents about it and they were just :?:

My mom told me to do a sliding scale. I was like :?: Then an hour later, after racking my brain, she told me about his escape b/c she didn't put the gate back. And how she didn't want to tell me.

I'm so irritated. Sure accidents happen, but not telling me when they do? Words cannot describe how irresponsible that is.

All and all, Moses and I need to move the heck outta here. We're working on it. I'm trying to convince him to take on the night shift as a baker, use those paw paws and bake it! We'll see where that gets us :mrgreen:

14. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Based upon what? Why are you advising this?

I see 3 things going on.

1. Cartridge on 28th day right when these numbers started which means one of two things.
    a. the cartridge is still in use, and has failed
    b. the cartridge was changed out and a dose reduction was inadvertently missed due to higher efficacy of new cart
    So, Erica, what cartridge are we on? New or old? :mrgreen:

2. Very few spot checks. No dosing given should be made without sufficient data to back up that advice.
    My answer: The cat is showing some rather steep drops in comparison to earlier numbers, leading me to again question whether we have a dose too high situation. I can not say though, without more data, and without knowledge of whether she is using a new cartridge or the old one. (if it's the old cart, toss it, it very likely has failed)

3. High carb food. Always read the SS notes. No way to assume these numbers are related to insufficient insulin if there is dry food on board. Dry food can last in the system for several cycles.

For Erica,
    Is this the old cartridge or the new cartridge? We need more spot checks, even if you can only get +10/11's during the work week. We know you guys have lives and we encourage you to have them rather than become a homebound cat lady :mrgreen: but when you've got numbers going all blooey, we can't help if we can't see where he's going during the cycle.

Don't stress about occasional food "incidents". We all have them. I don't even have anyone else to blame them on :lol: Shake it off, it'll all straighten itself out and nothing terrible happened. He'll just be a little high for a while is all.

Edited: Can't spell

15. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Re: 2/10 Moses AMPS 416 +5~295 +6~281 +7~318

Hi Carolyn :mrgreen:

I have continued using the same cartridge this whole process. I haven't changed out a new one b/c I've heard good things about cats on cartridges lasting months. I know this isn't always factual because ECIS, but I wanted to try.

Now that I can see the big picture, I truly think the treat taste test I gave him on 2/5 caused the yellows and he's been trying to get those out of his system. I want to continue to find a treat he'll enjoy, but I'll only treat test those ones made for diabetic kitties. I was going on a hunch that the treats on 2/5 would be healthy and they weren't.

I'll definitely continue to gain more spot checks, they are important. Especially now to see what his curves look like with his red BG from the HC food yesterday. I must keep financials in mind, I can't do 8 spot checks a day. But I would like to gain enough data to make appropriate judgments.

Thanks for taking the time to understand Moses' SS. I always appreciate input. I freaked out this morning b/c I continued to see red and I wanted to do anything to speed this process a long to get him back where he was in January. But, I also want to be smart! :mrgreen:

Thank you so much for helping me cat_pet_icon

16. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Re: 2/10 Moses AMPS 416 +5~295 +6~281 +7~318

It's not all due to those treats. I saw that note too and disregarded them as sole cause of the numbers because it doesn't explain what happened on the 8th. You probably didn't give him 1/4c of it so it's likely they lasted 1 maybe 2 cycles. For treats, try Happy Hips (jerky consistency), Wellness (also jerky consistency) or dehydrated chicken, salmon, cod or fish flakes (bonito). You'll be fairly safe with those and you can probably find them all on the internet. I know petfooddirect has the first two and you can find the chicken at petsmart in the DOG section of all places LOL In the cat section they have the salmon, cod and fish flakes, though they are ridiculously overpriced.

So, in summary, I think your cart is bad and needs to be tossed. :mrgreen: Once his shed refills, be ready. You're gonna need those strips, he is gonna go down in dose when he gets back into normal numbers. Not sure what meter you're using but you can get good strip deals on ebay. :)

17. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Re: 2/10 Moses AMPS 416 +5~295 +6~281 +7~318 Question

Yes, that date on 2/8 is interesting.... Refering back to my posts, I did accidently spill treats on his head during the day. (2/8 Condo http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5635) But for the AMPS, you're right, Carolyn, thats curious.

Moses only eats crunchy treats. He will not eat jerky textures nor freeze dried stuff. He's a very picky boy. He loved Party Mix a long time ago. Now he loves Greenies. I must find a diabetic treat that has crunchy texture, he won't eat it otherwise.

*Question- Does anybody else think that my cartridge is bad and needs to be tossed? It's 28th day was on 2/4.

18. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I don't know that any of us can say for sure that your cartidge is bad. But today is 34 days? If in doubt throw it out (hey that rhymed :lol: ).

Better to throw it out and see if that helps than to continue to question yourself. :?: :mrgreen:

19. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Good point. But how can I tell how well it's working when Moses has all this HC Ellie food in his system?

The same old insulin I used today brought him down 121 points, so something's working. I'm not trying to play the devil's advocate, I just want opinions on all sides :mrgreen:

20. paige

paige Well-Known Member

You make a very good point. You would think that if it was bad it would not have done that. Forget what I said... ;-)

21. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hey Erica,

u know that saying about sticking to one meter or you'll drive yourself craaaazzzeee?

well the same holds true for the cartridge.

when in doubt, if u have doubts, ur gonna doubt, and doubt, and maybe it is, maybe it isn't , when in doubt toss it out and start fresh, you have the option to eliminate things, why not start there?

just my opinions, cuz I've been there too.

22. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Erica:

Go back and look at Gabby's condo earlier this week. It turns out I should have pitched her cartridge on 2/4 -- I thought it was a month on 2/11. Her numbers were wonky -- red pre-shots. Gabby's numbers get weird whenever my Lantus is in the least bit toasty. Yes, some people can get more than 28 days out of a cartridge. Gabby can't. I may need to check the temp of my refrigerator to make sure it's not too cold and that's what the problem is, but I tend to think she's very sensitive to Lantus that is in any way not full force. So, do I think it may be time to go to a new cartridge? The best way to tell is to try a new one and see what happens to Moses' numbers. Then you will have your data.

I'm not sure how long you can expect the dry food to work it's way out of Moses' system. I would think that 48 hrs. would be a generous amount of time but I have no basis for that assumption. Jill or Carolyn or Libby may be better able to give you an estimate.

23. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

with regards to toasty insulin, we don't necessarily see that it stops working completely, just that it stops working consistently. In my opinion, loss of regulation without explanation is a good reason to assume the cartridge might not be fully effective. The 400's and probably today's 300's can be partly explained by the dry food, but Moses actually lost regulation several days before that happened. The treats would not have affected him for this long so I agree that a reasonable thing to try changing is the insulin.

24. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Re: 2/10 Moses PMPS 315

Alright :mrgreen:

I already shot Mr. Moses' PMPS. Tomorrow AMPS he'll begin anew!

Thank you all for your opinions and input. I have found them all most beneficial :mrgreen:

Now I'm off to a cake decorating class. Moses, your over-the-top treat times are long gone, buddy! Don't even think about it.

I plan on getting a bedtime spot check tonight. bye!

25. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Re: 2/10 Moses PMPS 315

Erica, I remember the other day on your thread someone pointed you in the direction of Chicken Crispies... I actually did order them after reading your thread & they arrived today (I paid extra for 3 day shipping) Baby LOVES them. They are soooo crunchy!

**I would start a new cartridge - it just isn't worth wondering. I started Baby a new one on the 29th or 30th day because I just did not want to stress or wonder.. I know they can last.. but why wonder?

26. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Exactly, Nicole. I don't want to wonder. And thanks to everybody's great tips, I'll be starting a new one tomorrow. It's not worth guessing about anymore ohmygod_smile

And I do remember that Chicken Crispers link! I knew I still had some arsenal from squeem3 that I need to check out. I was hoping to shop locally for it, but looks like I'll have to order it online. Thanks for telling me how much Baby loves them. Gives me more confidence in buying them and trying them out on Moses. Him and all his treat issues, geez!

Have a wonderful night!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.