? 2/11 Pumpkin time to increase dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jacques and Pumpkin, Feb 11, 2023.

1. Jacques and Pumpkin

Jacques and Pumpkin Member

Previous: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/posts/3042560/

I still don't have consistent testing happening for Pumpkin. I was pushing too hard with my first attempts and Pumpkin was getting wary of me, so I've slowed down (some discussion here). I got two pokes in yesterday, but didn't get quite enough blood either time (she won't let me milk her ear). I just got a different meter that only needs 0.3 uL samples so I'll see if that helps.

For now the main thing I have to go off is symptoms, which aren't improved. Her weight is still trending down, and she's still drinking 16 oz of water every day (she was below 4 oz per day before her diagnosis).

My first low carb food trial is likely a failure at this point. Vomiting twice in four days is not a good sign. I'm going to try a different food, but it'll take some time to arrive.

So, despite lacking much data, I'm thinking it's time to increase her dose to 1.5U and see how that goes. Does that make sense?

2. Erin Ethan

Erin Ethan Member

Hey @Jacques and Pumpkin! Hang in there!

We're still on the struggle bus a bit with Ethan's testing too. You mentioned getting the new meter than needs 0.3 uL samples- is it the Freestyle Lite by any chance?

I ask because I only found out the other day thanks to @Angela and Cleo's help that I was using the Lite strips wrong the whole time... They have tiny protrusions on the side that are supposed to suck in the blood from the side (rather than trying to get the drop on top of the black dots as I had been doing). I'm still using my finger to grab the blood but now using the side of the strip to suck it in.

Not sure if you got the same meter but just wanted to give you a heads up in case it helps...the manual wasn't very clear about this.

More experienced members can weigh in re: dosing - but has the vomiting stopped completely?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
  3. Jacques and Pumpkin

Jacques and Pumpkin Member

The vomiting so far was just bringing up mucus early in the morning, something she hadn’t done this frequently since switching to the hydrolyzed protein food. No food was regurgitated.

I know there’s some risk of hypos with vomiting, but on the other hand Pumpkin is on a very high carb diet right now. And we’re nowhere near a place where the vomiting is affecting her appetite. With the exception of a bad episode that led to her HP diet, she’s always had a very strong appetite.

I could give her old diet 5 days before increasing the dose. I’m just worried because she’s drinking so much water and steadily losing weight.

Erin Ethan likes this.
  4. Erin Ethan

Erin Ethan Member

Good that she's still got a good appetite :). That does sound like 'morning hunger vomit'.

Hopefully a more experienced member can weigh in on dosing considerations.