2/12 Gussie's home, food question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Gussie's mom (GA), Feb 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi All
    Thank you all for all of your support. :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    I picked up Gussies ashes yesterday. Fittingly it was still raining. It still feels surreal. When I opened the box and looked at the ashes I just felt "how can there be so little when he was such a huge presence"?

I am trying each day to adjust to the new "normal" but it is taking its sweet time happening...
    I have supplies for any who need them but won't be able to get them sorted and up until after my surgeries first week of March. I've caught that croup that is going around and it's a nasty one. I apologize it may take a bit until I can sort, box them and send them. I'm so far behind getting work ready for my absence and trying to dig out from under the mess in my house so my sister doesn't trip and injure herself caring for me.

Food question for civvies. When I have my surgeries ( 2 back to back over two days) I am going to feed canned, for ease for my sister who will be caring for me and my cats, and for room in the tiny freezer I have while I'm recovering. They are thrilled with the notion!
    Does anybody know the carb count this food works out to? I confess the formulas and charts completely mystify me...

https://frommfamily.com/products/four-star/cat/can/turkey-pate/technical-analysis/

Thanks in advance to anyone who can decipher it for me..:bighug:

I am working with an artist on Etsy to create a ring to hold a bit of Gussies ashes. Attaching photo of the lampwork beads I had made for littermates Buster (GA 2010) and Jett I (GA 2008). I found them incredibly comforting and set them together with findings from my local bead store. I still get comfort from them. I was going to have a bead made for Gussie but a ring just felt more right this time. He always made it clear if he could choose, he preferred only-cat status so I realized he needed to be a separate, independent piece! I asked her to incorporate the following elements:
    Laurel leaves for his victory over diabetes, hearts for his huge, loyal, independent heart, a gold citrine stone for his november victory and his big orange tabby coat, and wings for flying free.
    I sketched something out and she is going to pull it all together. So a little bit of Gussie will be traveling north to the Seattle area soon.

It's still really hard to write, I do pop in to see how you are all doing. When I can, I will write a tribute to him..my always on his own terms guy..
    Thank you all for embracing and loving him too..it has meant so very much:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Les
    IMG_4147.JPG

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

{{{Les}}} I know too well how you feel. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: I am still boxing out and sending out some of Neko's things. I just send something out this last week. I just dropped off some meds at her main vet this week - I hadn't been able to go there before that. It takes time to heal and do things. Most important - take care of you first. :bighug: Many vines going your way for your procedure.

I love the idea of Gussie's ring. The work looks stunning. Neko's necklace gives me great comfort at times too.

I don't know about the food. @Sharon14 is working on a new carb list - maybe she's seen some new carb numbers for the Fromme food. It would be good to know, I think they have a duck option.

3. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Keeping you in my prayers Les, wishing you all the best for your surgeries, I'd been wondering if you'd got round to getting them scheduled.
    The beads are beautiful and I'm sure Gussie's ring will be amazing, look forward to seeing it when you get it.
    In the meantime, take care of yourself
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

HWright and Gussie's mom (GA) like this.
  4. Lincolns Mom

Lincolns Mom Well-Known Member

the beads are beautiful... i love the ring... the thought that went into it.. you had me in tears... i cannot wait to see it ... sending love and prayers and comfort :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Gill & George

I've put their typical analysis through a calculator and the carb content comes out at 11%

Gussie's mom (GA) and HWright like this.
  6. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

Les, I think about you so much. It's been 3 years since I lost my orange boy and I still miss his huge presence in this house. He, like Gussie, was definitely an independent character that did things his own way as well. I think that's why I immediately felt drawn to your Gussie... similar purrsonalities and I love the orange boys. It takes time to heal Les and there is no timeclock on grief.

I will be sending massive prayers and healing energy to you for your surgeries.

The beads are absolutely stunning and I'm sure Gussie's ring will be amazing. So meaningful the design / stones you picked. I can't wait to see it when it's done.

Please take care of yourself Les. Know that we're all here, whenever you need us. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you:bighug::bighug:all so much:bighug::bighug:
    @Gill & George would that percentage be ok for the civvies? I've got them on merrick pates but have read some folks have found color off in some cans, I've seen that too, and some folks found plastic bits!:eek:
    I think the FF is a bit rich for Jett. They liked the nulo but having a history of fish allergy the notion of pushing Jetts immune system into reacting isn't something I want to trigger.
    I've been working them thru the cans I bought for Gussie trying to get him to eat anything..I think I swept the shelves of everything listed on the ok foods list one trip there.
    I want to feed a good quality food that isn't hi carb as Jett II is, as my grandma out it, " no dainty Miss" and could probably develop diabetes easily. It would not be devastatingly frightening to me like Gussies diagnosis was for I know you all are here.:bighug::bighug:

It's like anything, I think I've read too much on the foods, I'm coming away feeling like nothing is consistently safe! :confused:
    Hugs all, miss you all:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

HWright likes this.
  8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

The necklace beads are beautiful and I'm sure the ring will be as well. Please send us a picture when it is done as we all have a piece of Gussie in our hearts.
    I am sending feel better soon vines now for your croup, and perfect surgery and recovery vines for the first week of March.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:as always from us.

9. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Those beads are bloomin' gorgeous. The ring sounds perfect.

Chanting the surgeries go well and you have a great visit with your sis. Maybe you two could make the Christmas popcorn thing.

10. Gussie's mom (GA)

:) Maybe we could at that! :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Going to watch the Ab Fab movie tonite:bighug::bighug:
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

HWright likes this.
  11. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Sweetie, darling. Enjoy.

12. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Les, I ran the Fromms turkey through our calculator and came up with 12.4 calories from carbs.

13. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  14. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Gussie is back home with you. The ring sounds beautiful. So are the beads. I hope you feel better soon and your surgeries go well. I'm glad your sister can be there for you. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

(((Les))) Alwsys thinking of you and with vines and hugs for you all. I remembered that your eye surgery was to be in March but wasn't sure about when. Vines abounding for successful surgery and healing. Glad your sister will be staying with you and helping. That will be huge comfort.

Gussie's ring sounds beautiful. The beads are beautiful. Les, you are wonderful ❤️❤️❤️❤️

As for food for civvies during your post surgical recovery: would freeze dried raw be an option? Would Jett and Lola like it? It's easy enough to prepare and maybe just as easy for your sister as opening a can ;);)?

I, too, haven't gotten around to sorting out Sootie's FD stuff and meds. Please don't feel stressed about not having done so yet either. I will put it all together but each time I've started has been heart wrenching, never seemed to be the day to do so. One of these days I will feel like the little engine that could.

Les, adding to the bushelsful of love with lots of love and wishes for sweet dreams and successful surgery. ❤️
    Sina

Gussie's mom (GA) likes this.
  16. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

(((Les))), I'm so glad that Gussie is home. I'm sure that is a comfort to you. Your idea for his ring is wonderful. It will be beautiful, just like those beads.
    Wishing you good luck with your surgeries and a speedy recovery from your cold.
    I've seen Fromm's food in the holistic petfood store in NYC, but haven't bought it yet. Rusty has been liking Newman's Own 95% Chicken and chicken liver and 95% Turkey and turkey liver. Both have excellent moisture, and I'm pretty sure they are low-carb. They also have good calories (Rusty needs calories, so that is a plus for us). I can buy them in my supermarket (another plus, since we live in the boonies).

I've been thinking of you and hoping that you are doing OK. It is a tough time to go through, but Gussie will help you.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Ella & Rusty

17. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

Julie and Eleanor (GA) Well-Known Member

Will be saying prayers for your surgeries.
    The beads are so beautiful. Love the idea of the ring.

18. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I'm glad that Gussie is back home. ❤️ The beads you designed for Buster and Jett I are beautiful, I will look forward to seeing Gussie's ring, it sounds lovely and is a wonderful remembrance. You're in my prayers, Les, every day. I am sending special prayers and vines that your surgeries go smoothly and you have a speedy recovery. I'm glad you have your sister there to help you. :)

There is no timetable on grief. You take all the time you need to deal with Gussie's supplies. I know how painful it is to lose a beloved furbaby, and things don't really ever go back to "normal" again, but each day you heal a bit more, get a little bit stronger and better able to cope with it. And we will always be here for you if you need us.

Love and (((hugs))),
    Lucy:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

19. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

{{{Les}}}

I was so pleased to see a post from you. You have been on my mind and in my prayers so much lately.

I'm glad Gussie is home with you, where he belongs. I know how bittersweet that homecoming is.

Your ideas for the ring are just amazing. I can't wait to see it. I'm sure it will give you as much comfort as those lovely beads do. How clever of you!

Take all the time you need to pack up the things you don't need for your other cats. There is no rush. Now is the time to take care of you. Sending you healing vines to get rid of that croup. You need to be healthy when it's time for your surgeries, or they'll be postponed. :eek: We don't want that! Please keep us posted when the time is near, so we can get the vines loaded up and sent out!

20. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

Welcome home Gussie. The ring sounds like it will be a wonderful tribute, though to truly capture how large he lived life it would have to be something like this :cat:

[​IMG]

We miss you Gussie!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  21. Gussie's mom (GA)

Hahaha, too true!! Thank you for the much needed chuckle!:bighug::)

Squalliesmom and HWright like this.
  22. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Made me chuckle too. Leslie - so happy to see your post
    comforting to know Gussie is home where he belongs
    holding you close in my prayers :bighug::bighug:

23. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you all so very much:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    :eek::nailbiting::eek: I can't reschedule this surgery, too many moving pieces that had to align what with my sister able to fly in and be here to drive me and care for me, work, available supports etc...so I'm sweating kicking this horrible cold and trying to figure out how to make all this work! Probably not helping cure the cold! Had surgery dreams last nite, boy were they odd! In them among other things like talking to the Dr. about insurance coverage, and following him thru a maze in the hospital, I was trying to find someone to call to pick me up afterward as he said we would be finished @ 3:30 am! and I couldn't remember any numbers..( a left over from Gussies wild ride down the dosing ladder that never went away, numbers don't stick in my head anymore). But the Dr. Looked like Benedict Cumberbatch, one of the actors I really admire so all was not lost! :)
    Funny thing was once I half asleep reminded myself my sister was coming, I was able to change the channel...

24. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm shocked that Fromm's is so high in carbs - I've been feeding that to Murphy :eek::arghh:

25. Gussie's mom (GA)

Yikes! Hmm seeing a diet change in Murphys future! Maybe it's because of the pearlized barley in it? None of the other ingredients would lead me to think carbs! I'm bummed as my sister feeds it to her cat, dry actually, and it's the healthiest, spry old cat I've ever seen!
    And I like that it's a family run operation, not a big conglomerate

HWright likes this.
  26. Gill & George

The
    I think the gum is also a carb, it's a thickening agent.

I guess for your civies I suppose it's ok, but I guess it depends on what you read Dr Lisa advocates a species appropriate diet, with low carbs for any cat. Think mouse. No carbs to speak of in that tasty kitty snack.;)

Though her big bugbear is wet over dry.

27. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you Gill. I don't believe in carbs either, why I fed raw only for close to 20 years now..so will be passing on the fromms and sticking with something low to no carbs even for the civvies!
    @HWright , hi Sina, they won't go for reconstituted freeze dry, unfortunately nor will they touch raw in any prefab form, pellets, patties, nuggets, shreds etc..bummer...:bighug:

HWright likes this.
  28. HWright

Les, I wish I could have gotten them on raw years ago or even now. That you have been feeding raw for 20 years now is an accomplishment to be proud of for sure. I bow to you in honoring all that you are and do ❤️.

When you mentioned having the croup, I realized that I had not heard that word since childhood and the times when my mother announced "you have the croup. No school today." Then she sent my father to the local sundries store for some Coca Cola syrup from the soda fountain (surely the original formula!). A spoonful of the syrup and sips of broth and crackers was her croup remedy. And a game of parcheezi with her!

I hope you are recovering from the bout of croup. With all you have been through and with your upcoming surgery, I hope you are having some gentle time. You, Gussie as we knew him in this life and feel him now in spirit, and your sweet Jett and Lola are always in our thoughts and prayers.

Wishing you a gentle night and sweet dreams, dear Les. And also, dear friend ❤️Glaedlig Valentinsdag❤️

IMG_1701.PNG

29. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you Sina❤️
    I am flat on my back, even ordered remedies from Amazon rather than going out. This is one nasty bug. I chuckled reading your moms remedy for the croup. My mom's was the same, broth and saltines..I did not however get the original Coca Cola syrup tho I am guessing my mom did as she was definitely addicted to Coca Cola!
    Too funny, we played Parcheezi too! Nobody I talk to even knows what that game is! Fun stuff. That and we played cribbage.i still play on the computer sometimes as nobody else has heard of it.
    I am so incredibly behind in terms of getting what I need done for surgery. It weighs on me as I get farther behind. Getting sick and having to sleep away hours I need was not in the game plan! And I can not have to reschedule..I won't have my sister available to help drive etc if I have to reschedule.not ok at all!
    The feeding raw so early was because Dr. Hodgkins was my vet and she was a pioneer advocate and consequently pariah in the field for obligate carnivores need meat, preferably raw early on, way before the tainted pet food scandal changed minds and hearts. She saved both my cats so I trusted her directions completely. Buster and Jett were a harder conversion that Gussie, he took right to it with a gusto.
    Going to sleep some more now
    Hugs always

HWright likes this.
  30. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Les))) so glad to hear that your sweet Gussie is home with his family where he belongs, the ring sounds a fitting tribute to an extraordinary cat. Hope you manage to kick the croup soon and many vines and prayers for your forthcoming surgeries, hope all goes well for you. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

31. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Same here, lol! I think that must have been the standard remedy for our generation!

Prayers that this nasty bug goes away quickly! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

32. HWright

Hi Les, hope you had some good sleep last night. Good sleep and laughter (we can smile in our dreams too!) good medicine as much as the good old fashioned croup remedies. Yep as @Squalliesmom said;):
    And parcheezi (parcheesi?)! I loved playing that game! Must have been of our parents and our generation, too. Dating ourselves again, ha ha!

Thank you for sharing how you got started feeding raw. And wow, she was your vet! I remember reading about Dr Hodgkins back then and her recommendations for raw feeding was my first template/effort with my cats then. Either they out-willed me or I wasn't finding the sweet spot to their interest, I succumbed to modified diets with several raw efforts inbetween. My best luck was during the past year with rehydrated freeze dried raw, the food fur life cooked home made and spurts of prepared raw. Nowadays the only taker for anything raw is Azalea: liver shakes and sometimes radcat sometimes Stella and chewy frozen raw mixed in or on its own.

Sending heaps of love and healing your way for your and your tribe ❤️❤️.
    Elsker dig
    Sina and Sootie's Tribe

PS: was LaGrippe another name for the croup?!!!??

33. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Les)))

I'm so sorry you've been so ill and I hope you find some remedies that work so you can feel better.

It's always such a relief and yet so very hard when our babies come home. Although I have her urn on my nightstand with her pawprints beside it, I could not bear to look at the urn for a very, very long time. It's still hard for me to connect it with my precious baby girl. I do understand how it is.

I think the ring is an excellent idea. And the beads doe your other babies are gorgeous.

Many hugs, love, prayers for you, my friend. I'm sure my baby girl is showing Gussie a dance or two beyond the stars.

34. Gussie's mom (GA)

35. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Back at you....

Cribbage is fun, don't let them young whippersnappers tell you any different. I miss games that involved other people and not just staring at screens!

Hope you are getting over the plague and can get things ready for the DS when she comes to help out.

Still thinking of you!

36. Gussie's mom (GA)

Thank you!! Been keeping up on you and Jack too:bighug::bighug: I drop in and when it gets too hard pop back out! :bighug: Me big black cat Jett is slipping into the alpha role here. I think he was getting instructions from Gussie all those hours they spent mind melding when Gussie took ill:cat::cat:
    I will make it back too!:bighug:
    image.jpeg

HWright and saltycat like this.
  37. HWright

Right on! I miss the old board games too.

38. HWright

IMG_1713.JPG

Oh for a game of Parcheesi today!!

39. meowsyko

meowsyko Member

Aw, I love those beads and Gussie's ring sounds so special. What a beautiful way to remember your fur babies. Hopefully I won't need anything like that for a long time, but I will keep this in mind.
    I haven't popped in for a while, but I hope you feel better and your surgeries go well. :bighug:

40. HWright

Les, popping in to say hi and ask how are you all?
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.