2/13 Edward AMPS-137, 61@+6, 80@+7.5

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SnowKat, Feb 13, 2020.

1. SnowKat

SnowKat Member

Yesterday

@Wendy&Neko was kind enough to point out that Edward earned a reduction with his 76 on 2/8/20, and considering his start to today, I think that's warranted. I'm going shoot .75u and check him in a few hours.

I've been waffling back and forth about whether to stick with SLGS or to try to commit to TR... Intellectually I want to do TR, but I don't know if I have the stomach for it...

Everyone be healthy and safe!

2. SnowKat

SnowKat Member

If I *did* decide to try TR again, I'm thinking I should go back to 1u tonight? I will be home over the next 3 days, so I can monitor regularly, and I have all the necessary supplies.

3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Beautiful start this morning...why did you reduce?

4. SnowKat

SnowKat Member

@Sue and Luci Because I'm a big wimp, LOL! A few reasons... (1) I'm still skittish about shooting below 150, (2) I won't be able to test him until +8 today, and (3) he had a 76 BG a few days ago that would have warranted a reduction on SLGS. But... now I'm thinking I should put on my big girl pants and go back to 1u and TR. I *know* I need to get over my fear of shooting less than 150.

5. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I understand...sometimes you just gotta take that deep breath and say to yourself - this is going to save his life! I had to do that...I was so terrified at first...of so many things...the first time I shot a green number I thought I'd have a heart attack.

So, best that you can switch to TR when you're going to be home and can test a few extra times - it'll help settle your nerves.

You'll get to see patterns develop over time - about when he's likely to go low...and you'll be prepared for those times.

And I cannot emphasize this enough - you really must, must, must get some night time tests...a lot of cats go low at night - and that's what you'll need to know - more than anything else - how low does this does take him? If you have to set that alarm to get up...then please do it...get one test before going to bed...and then (yep, I know!)...set the alarm to get another one around the middle of the cycle...

Si am cat mom and SnowKat like this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The biggest change for you is that you need to start getting a night time test, in addition to PMPS. There is too much white space on that part of the spreadsheet. Many cats go lower at night and we need to know how low the dose is taking Edward. A before bed tests, even a +2/3 will give a clue to what is happening at night. That second night test is required on TR, and just good practise even on SLGS.

One housekeeping note, when you know or think you did a fur-shot, it’ll help us if you note that in the units, so write something like 1.0 FS. Did you see wet fur? Did you smell the Lantus? High numbers could also be from a bounce from however low he gotnthe night of the 9th.

SnowKat likes this.
  7. SnowKat

SnowKat Member

Ugh, the night tests are so tough - this mama needs her sleep! But you are right - I will start getting some night tests in, starting tonight. I think I will enlist my dear husband to help with that ;)

OK, so I'm thinking I will commit to TR (again), starting tonight. I will be home for the next 3 days straight, so I can keep an eye on him.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  8. SnowKat

SnowKat Member

@Wendy&Neko I am planning on enlisting my hubby to do at least a couple of night tests. He's way more of a night owl than I am! I'm usually in bed an hour and a half after Ed's night shot.

Yes, we did detect that distinctive Lantus scent on his fur on Sunday :( I don't know why I had so much trouble shooting him that day.

9. Wendy&Neko

Fur shots happen. Put a dollar in a jar for each one. Buy something for yourself end of year. :)

SnowKat likes this.
  10. SnowKat

SnowKat Member

I'm glad I managed to get a test at +6... he's at a cool 61. Curious to see where he's at in a couple more hours.

11. Wendy&Neko

I think I would test in less than an hour. What if he's still dropping? Did you give him a couple tsps of his regular food with that 61? That can help them surf along safe numbers.

That 61 might also be telling you to stick with the 0.75 unit dose for now.

SnowKat likes this.
  12. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

TR requires 2 test at least per cycle. So, you would have to test him every night.
    Sometimes a +10/ +11 test can help take the edge off shooting lower numbers than you are used to. If Edward is clearly on the way up, you know generally he has more time to rise before onset. This also gives you time to get a plan of action together if you need to post for help or stall

SnowKat likes this.
  13. SnowKat

SnowKat Member

Gah, I'm already back at work (I snuck out to test). I did convince him to eat a few bites of his regular LC food right after testing, and he was acting quite normal (purring and grooming). I tested at 2:15pm CST... I could be back home by 3:40 for another test.

Yes, thinking .75u would probably be safest.

Sue and Luci and Wendy&Neko like this.
  14. SnowKat

SnowKat Member

80 @ +7.5 :)