2/16 Charlie

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by FurballLover, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Charlie is still in the green!!!

I told him how proud I am of him--and he said he's feeling much better:)

They are off the kibble crack-4 days now!! I was really worried bc they weren't eating as well for the first 2 days, but they have regained their appetite. I added an afternoon snack, and big C has already gotten used to it (he woke me from a nap yesterday to say it was time!)

Hometesting has been going really well, he mostly purrs while I'm doing it! He's just such a happy, loving guy :YMHUG: He 'waits' for me in 'his' room--the bathroom--when its time (I think its bc he knows he'll get food right after)

He is missing the carbs, though. Last night, after DH and I went to bed I heard him on the kitchen counter. He was trying to get into the V-day frosted cookie cake!! He really wanted that sugar! Luckily, DH put the lid on tight so C couldn't get to it. Little stinker!

C's numbers have been in the green for over a week, and they are steadily and slowly going down. LC is making all the difference! I hope with his results, my vet (who is really wonderful) will start to recognize the power of hometesting and a diet under 10% carbs! I dropped off a copy of his spreadsheet last fri while the drooler was getting her 'nails done' and the tech, who I've known for years, was astounded!

The fur on his neck is growing, but the patch on his front arm will take longer. The vet left an IV port in overnight (super taped) in case he had probs overnight, and we had to return to her office after his hypo. The tape took off some skin, but he is doing a great job keeping it clean, and it looks great. Its a daily reminder to me of how important our new process for dealing with his diabetes is to his longevity and health. It keeps me going when I get frustrated with their unwillingness to change their food. They have been chewing the h*ll out of my houseplants! No worries, they aren't swallowing it, just destroying. Its their way of telling me they haven't appreciated the new food.

Its funny how quickly I've become 'addicted' to seeing those numbers! Every test, when the meter tells me his 'score', I feel like a contestant on a game show who just won a prize :lol: Hopefully, these numbers won't go away.

I do have one question--do I need to test for ketones with these low numbers? I haven't yet bought any--my budget has been busted with all the other supplies, but could get them if its necessary.

Thanks to everyone who has been so supportive and helpful! We couldn't have done it without all your help!

Jen and Charlie

ETA: Has anyone else had probs loading the fdmb? Last night and this am, took several tries to load- all the other tabs on my firefox 'homepage' are loading fine.

2. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Wow! That spreadsheet is beautiful! You do not need to test for ketones with those numbers.

3. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Very happy for both of you Jen.

Regarding the ketones--the only reason you would need to test is if he had ever had problems with ketones in the past.

4. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Great news, Jen. You and Charlie are the winners in the FD Gameshow! party_cat

5. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Jen from Chicago, COME ON DOWN!!! :mrgreen:

Those are really great numbers, and I am so happy for you guys! :) I'm sure the vet is impressed, particularly if she doesn't see stuff like that very often. Hopefully your data will inspire her to recommend that same diet switch to lots of other kitties.

Charlie trying to get into the V-Day cookie made me chuckle, although I know there are kitties here who will get into ANYTHING and it really makes their beans crazy. There was one who was on a bagel binge for awhile, I can't remember who. I'm pretty hyper about putting anything carby in a cabinet, but I've definitely forgotten before. Luckily, no harm no foul, but it's scary to think what could happen. As Professor Moody would say in Harry Potter, "CONSTANT VIGILANCE!" ;)

Just out of curiosity, where in the Chicago area do you live? I understand if you don't want to say, I only ask because I grew up in Arlington Heights. :)

6. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Sarah,
    Usually we don't keep any kind of junk food in the house--I have no self control with sweets!

We moved out of the city 7 yrs ago to my hometown of Morris. In case you haven't heard of it, its about 20 miles west of Joliet. I used to spend a lot of time for work in the western + nw suburbs and am pretty familiar with Arlington Hts. nice town! Do you still have family there?

7. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

I actually have heard of Morris, believe it or not! I went to college at ISU in Bloomington-Normal and I have spent many hours driving I-55 or on Amtrak from Normal to Chicago.

My parents have moved from AH but I have other family in the city (Wrigleyville) and in Wilmette. I love the Chicago area; it's just expensive to live there. And don't get me started on the traffic. ;)

8. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Don't get me started on the traffic too!! I used to commute all over the suburbs from the city every day--I would spend an average of 3-4 hrs in the car:( Now I have a 5 min commute!! My poor DH has to commute from here to oak brook which on ave. is about 1hr each way--until it snows!
    We do miss the city a lot though, but for what we bought our house for, we would've only had a convertible studio in a so-so neighborhood. There are definitely trade-offs. I have a garden now for me and the pets to play in, but can't get any decent ethnic food!
    We go to the city as often as possible, but now we have to take turns being DD, I miss not worrying about having a few cocktails, and just hailing a cab. My liver is probably happier:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.