2/16 lower PMPS 61 #s I gave 1 unit instead of 1.5

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hammy, Feb 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammy

Hammy Member

Hello, I posted this in my lantus board, but I don't want to wait much longer.

This is first time having these lower numbers and I dont know if I continue same dose or lower it.

Hello. This morning George was 85 AMPS and tonight PMPS he is 61. Would you still give him the 1.5
    I know I need to do a curve. This is the lowest he has been and I don't know when I should continue the same dose or skip, watch, etc. He did eat already about half of his can of friskies.

Thank you
    Heather

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Sorry, you don't really have enough data for anyone to advise...unless something is wrong with your spreadsheet? I see very few PS and midcycle tests done, and most days don't have a dose listed? Were those skipped shots?

The safe thing to do is skip, but keep an eye on him. If you've been giving 1.5U consistently, there will still be a depot in effect and he may drop lower tonight.

Does he have a history of DKA or ketones?

3. Hammy

Hammy Member

Thank you. I tried researching and thought it would be ok to give 1unit. SO I did. I tested him right before giving him the shot at 830 and his numbers were at 68.

Tested now 1 hour later ( I usually inject him at 8pm CST, but waited until 830pm, I didn't want to wait longer, maybe I should have just skipped it. His BG, 1 hour after shot, is 70. I will try to test frequently tonight, I don't know how frequently I should do it. Every hour?

I don't know what DKA is and he hasn't had keytones, but I need to recheck now that he is home.
    I also do not know what a depot in effect means, does that just mean since I have been giving him 1.5U consistently that he will probably drop lower than 60?

4. Hammy

Hammy Member

I will continue this in the lantus board. Thank you so much again. <3

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

With each successive dose of Lantus it builds up a store of insulin under the skin that releases over a period of time, the 'depot'. This is behind the greater duration of effect typically seen in Lantus and Levemir. The amount of insulin in the depot will exert some effect on levels in subsequent cycles. More info in this sticky post:

What is the insulin depot?

Mogs

Hammy likes this.
  6. Critter Mom

I just had a look at George's spreadsheet. He's getting down into a really good range. I know from your other posts that you've had off days with the testing. However, I strongly suggest you start testing before every preshot and at +2 after each dose to see where the cycle might be heading (and whether additional testing is indicated). First and foremost it will help you to keep George safe in really good numbers. He has made really great progress and his numbers are really good for a cat so recently diagnosed. The extra testing effort to help him stay in such a good range has the potential to move George closer to a possible remission. If the kitty gods smile and he does get to the Falls, then he would become a diet-controlled diabetic off insulin, and life would become much simpler all round. :)

Mogs

Hammy likes this.
  7. Hammy

Hammy Member

Thank you. Very encouraging! With this scare, I am definitely getting better at testing now. It's easier when I have an extra pair of hands also.
    Thank you!

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Critter Mom

Focuses the mind a bit, alright! :D

Fab cycle last night, and lovely AMPS today! Go George!! :cat:

:bighug:

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.