? 2/19/21 Marmy’s numbers amps 249, +3 -251

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by tonimarmalade, Feb 19, 2021.

1. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

When I last posted I asked for dosing advice but I only received answer from someone who doesn’t give dosing advice who suggested it that I link my files and I am not doing very well on that either. I did increase from 2.02 2.25 on the 17th. I am not sure if that was the correct thing to do but when her number started creeping up into the 300s I decided on my own to just do that. Marmy is eating an average of 12 to 14 mini meals consisting of 1to 1 1/2 tablespoons of her food , roughly about half during the am cycle and then thru the night. I am EXHAUSTED. Please advise.

2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Sorry no one else chimed in :bighug: Here's your last condo - https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...lade-terrible-fur-shot-day-on-the-7th.242898/

You can always tag people that have helped you before (start writing their screen name with the @ symbol - I would be @JaxBenji ) or bump up your post (just comment on your own thread with "bump" and it will push it to the top).

I'll help tag a few folks that stopped by before and hopefully the tags go through:
    @tiffmaxee
    @Gill & George
    @Christie & Maverick

3. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hey sorry you got missed last time. I ll come take a look a bit later just about to get dinner ready and feed the starving furries.:bighug:

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Have you considered getting an auto feeder? I don’t see mid cycle night tests yet you are up feeding. Is she hard to test?

5. Gill & George

You are right to be thinking about whether Marmy needs a dose change or not, you are on cycle 5 of the 2.25u dose.

To decide whether he needs more insulin or not we have to ask
    'How low is this dose getting Marmy?'
    With the tests you have been able to get we can see that he did not go lower than yellow during the day. But there are no pm midcycle tests, so we have no idea if he did drop to blue or green and you just didn't see it, it's not unusual for cats to have there lowest cycles at night.
    on Feburar 17 and 18 th the PMPS was significantly lower than the earlier tests in their respective cycles, so it makes me wonder if Marmy did have active evening cycles on the 17 and 18.

So before you do anything with the dose I think we need to fill in the 'gaps'

Would it be possible for you to get some pm tests over the next couple of days so we can see if marmy is having lower cycles at night? maybe a +2 and a +5 or +6?

Going forward if you can always get a test just before you go to bed that would also be helpful when it comes to making dosing decisions. For example my before bed test was +5, so that would often be my last test at night (though sometimes I would set an alarm if I needed to), but I would also get a +2 or maybe a +1 and +3, I would mix it up.

I notice you mention he is waking you up asking for food, when did that start? My George would come pester me for food when he was low or dropping fast, just wondering if Marmy's BG is low and that might be why he is being particularly persistent about being fed at night??

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  6. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

The night time tests are clearly on her chart. I don’t know why you can’t see them. Thank you for checking again. I took a picture for your information upload_2021-2-19_18-26-28.png

7. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

I go,to bed an hour after after I test her at 8 pm. When I do test her in the wee hours, as you can see, she is not dipping low. An auto feeder will not moisten her dry pulverized nuggets. She has resorption disease and not many teeth.

8. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

9. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

Thank you so much, Jax Benjii

10. tiffmaxee

I was referring to nights when she starts blue. Those are the times a+2 and later test might show a drop in bg and you didn’t get later tests.

11. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Hi Toni, just for clarity what is the "dry pulverized nuggets" is that some type of dry food, or is it a freeze dried raw brand? If you are feeding dry food, that may be contributing to some of the higher numbers. And if there is dry food in the mix, you'll have to go back to SLGS. With Lantus, you may be missing some of the lowest points in the cycle, which is why trying to get some spot checks at different times might be helpful, especially at night. Nadirs can and do move around. For many kitties that might be +6, but I often found sometimes on Lantus, I'd see early nadirs, like +3 or +4.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  12. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

She only eats freeze dried primal nuggets which are raw. She is on Levimer. I will do my best to test her at +2 when she shows blue for,pmps. Thank you.
    I will do my best. It is very difficult. There is a lot on my plate. Not complaining just saying at 77 as the 24/7 caregiver for my 83 yr. old sister with dementia and many physical needs I am a very busy lady around the clock. I will try. I love this little fur baby. We have cared for 9 special need and rescue feral cats for years. They have all passed over and Marmy is our first diabetic kitty. She is a sweetheart. Thank you for your advice.

13. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Ah, sorry, might need stronger prescription glasses, I saw Lantus in your signature, missed the switch. I think I have mentioned this before, but sometimes they get a little too comfy in higher numbers, so with TR, if you can get a mid cycle test in each cycle, that will help determine what the dose is doing, and you can evaluate the dose every 6 cycles. If the nadirs aren't where you want them to be, you can increase, but you will want to get a mid cycle test each cycle before doing so. I believe you mentioned at that time that your vet wasn't too keen on increasing past 2u?

The primal freeze dried still has carbs in it...Looks fairly low, which is good.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  14. tiffmaxee

I’m sorry about your sister. That’s tough. The extra tests don’t need to be every night. If you have a blue preshot and the +3-4 is even lower, then a late test might help. If it’s too hard, do t stress yourself. Your health is important or you can’t take care of your ss or Marmy. I on,6 brought it up as you were trying to figure out what’s going on with her numbers. :bighug:

15. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

Yes, I have researched the Primal and quite a few other freezedried raw options. If there are any lower carb options I am open to trying them. These are pretty low. And she likes them
    Thank you for the guidance regarding testing. I will do my best to test ar +2 when the ps is in the 100’s range and then at mid cycle. Just to be clear, a cycle is 12 hours, not 24, correct. I am not too concerned about my vet’s observation that most diabetic cats do quite well in the 1 to 2 unit range. I don’t believe that is true. So I will adjust upward if I can get the mid cycle tests and they are too high. Thanks again.

16. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

I Appreciate your understanding. I will do my best. How do I give you a hug back?

17. Gill & George

Hi Toni,
    Thanks for posting the picture,
    I can't see any pm tests with the 2.25u dose, those were the ones I was referring to. Maybe you popped them on the wrong line?

You have a lot on your plate, we looked after my dad for a while, and I know how hard it can be for my MIL at 80 with my FIL who has dementia, the constant caregiving is exhausting:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Correct a cycle is 12 hours two cycles a day.
    Those wee hour tests, because she is on Lev, which is a later nadir test are really good ones to get. It's just that I cannot see any on the 2.25u dose.
    You are correct cats need what they need, do post and we can help you with the dosage Toni.

When did she start getting really hungry in the night? and demanding to be fed?

18. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

Here are her numbers from last night and today so far. upload_2021-2-20_12-38-47.png
    I will post a new thread for today but I don’t know how to connect all these from yesterday to it.

Gill & George likes this.