?? 2/19 Phoenix + 9 110 Someone Please Respond

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Scdal, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Scdal

Scdal Member

I have updated from a previous post. I just checked Phoenix's BG before he ate lunch at +6. He has dropped to 106 even though I skipped his a.m. insulin yesterday.

I would normally be happy but I am snowed in and can't get to a vet if needed. What should I do about his insulin this evening if his BG is low? Should I skip or give a reduced dose? Someone please help ! I am getting very worried. I still have 5 hours before his next insulin injection is due.

2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hi Susan,
    Phoenix recovered well from that skip didn't take her long to get back to blue.
    With 5hrs to go a lot can happen with the BG.

I think that it would be a good idea to check her BG again at +7 or +8, see if she is still dropping, they can continue to drop way past that +6.
    See where she is at.

3. Scdal

Scdal Member

I just fed him a big lunch. I am going to check him after 1 hour. I think I would rather keep his BG a little high since I am snowed in. You know it is bad when you haven't had mail service in 4 days. Thank you for your advice!

4. Scdal

Scdal Member

I checked Phoenix again at +8. He has dropped to 99 even after a big lunch.

5. Scdal

Scdal Member

Phoenix's BG is 110 at + 9. What should I do about his PM shot. Someone please respond !!!

6. Scdal

Scdal Member

I have been posting since this morning trying to get help. Phoenix's AMBG yesterday was 51 and rising very slowly. It was recommended that I skip his insulin because here in Texas I am snowed in and the streets are impassable. I wouldn't be able to get to a vet if I needed to.

Last night, his PMBG was 404. I gave Phoenix his 10 units of insulin. This morning his AMPS was 166. I gave him his 10 units of insulin. His BG has been falling all day until +10. Then, it rose to 177.

I am worried about giving him his 10 units of insulin in another hour. Should I skip his shot? Under ordinary circumstances, I would give insulin but he is close to a reduction. Please advise me what I should do !!!

7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Looks like Phoenix is rising so you should be able to shoot safely tonight.

Susan, have you printed out the instructions on what to do in case of low numbers? Sometimes that's helpful, to have the written instructions printed out and right out on the counter - along with your hypo kit. You should be able to head off any unexpectedly low numbers with high carb food up to and including karo syrup or maple syrup or honey even...all of those things will bring on immediately higher blood glucose numbers.

Did you get your strips from Walmart today?

8. Scdal

Scdal Member

No, they did not deliver my test strips. The roads are still impassable. I only have about 40 strips left to last me until Tuesday. The stores haven't been able to get any supplies.

I am getting frantic. I am really considering skipping his shot tonight. I don't want him falling real low and being unable to get help. Marge advised me to skip yesterday's morning insulin and Phoenix still remained low this morning.

I am really getting stressed. I have had days of no electricity no water and now Phoenix decides he is going to keep his BG low !!

I can't test a lot tonight if I give his insulin. I had 250 test strips when the snow started but only have about 40 left. I need to conserve them.

9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Under the circumstances you may need to skip tonight unless his number really comes up by PMPS.

10. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Laura and Gremlin (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm no expert but if you're concerned about not being able to monitor for a low and also not wanting to skip, I would lower the dose. That's what I would do and have done for my Gremlin when he's been low in the evening but I've really needed sleep. I think the PMPS number will be a decider for you.

Hopefully someone can give you more advice... @tiffmaxee @Wendy&Neko @Bron and Sheba (GA)

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

With the size of Phoenix's depot, a skip would mean his won't get into horrible numbers. Your other options is something like a half dose tonight, but no guarantees he won't come down some. Maybe tomorrow take his dose down to 9.5 units until you know you can get more strips.

12. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

See what the PMPS is.

13. Scdal

Scdal Member

I just did his PMPS and his BG is 207. Normally, I would be thrilled by these numbers and give his insulin. I hate to skip his insulin tonight but since he has stayed so low all day, I think it might be better to skip.
    It warmed up to 38 degrees today but the streets where I live are still impassable. I live on 5 acres down a small one lane farm road. I am lucky that my electricity was only out 2 days. Just a mile from me they have been without power for 5 days and it is still out.
    I will take your advice and reduce his dose to 9.5 units in the morning. Thanks all of you for your help and sorry I made a pest of myself with all my posts today.

14. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Be kind to yourself. These are stressful times for you. Phoenix will recover from the skipped shot. Stay safe.

15. Scdal

Scdal Member

Thank you, I am really thrilled with Phoenix's numbers. I have always kept an extra 100 test strips in my cabinet. When I got down to 100, I always ordered more. I never thought that Walmart wouldn't be able to restock them. You have a wonderful weekend and thank you !!