2/19 - Wally - AMPS=209,+3=121,+6=55,+6.25=69,+7=101,PMPS=449 AT2 & 338 Relion ,+2=517AT2,389 Relion

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ginger Cat, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Ginger Cat

Ginger Cat Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

That 321 is Wally mid bounce he was blue in the am cycle and bounced of that because his body is not used to these blues now,
    The following are bounce cycles
    pm 2/17
    am 2/18
    pm 2/18
    He is high and flat. the followed the 126 on am cycle 2/17

This morning is indeed a nice start, I think it looks like he is clearing his bounce, if I had to guess I would say he is going to dip into lower numbers this morning.
    However if you see no better than blue I would take his dose up to 2u, this dose is not getting him into green nadirs, with TR the aim is to have ktty nadiring in the normal range, he hasn't been doing that so he needs to go up. Their insulin needs can and do change, so don't worry about him going lime green. He may even need to go higher than 2 to get him back to greens.

A lime green is not automatically a hypo, a hypo is when a cat has a symptomatic hypo.

3. Ginger Cat

He just tested 55 at AMPS+6. Not acting hypo, just hungry. Will keep testing.

4. Gill & George

could you recheck that number
    Just in case it was a wonky result a 55 doesn't seem to fit with his current patterns,

5. Ginger Cat

I can, but I fed him so it could mess with the reading. He just tested at 69 20 minutes after the 55 reading so I'd say it was accurate.

Gill & George likes this.
  6. Gill & George

I wish you had that relion up and working for these lows. To see how far below 50 they actually are, I really think he would benefit from you holding on for three drops below 50 on a human meter.

7. Ginger Cat

He's up to 101. I really don't know why using the AT2 and having a reading of below 68 wouldn't be basically the same as a human meter reading 50 or below. I understand that the TR/SLGS protocols were developed using human meters, but shouldn't we be able to extrapolate for the AT2?

I am going to keep him at 1.75 tonight.

8. Gill & George

The problem is that you don't know what number on the AT2 with the PetSure strips is equivalent to a 40 on the human meter. Folk have done extensive tests and there is no conversion possible.

So with a human meter you would do 3 drops under 50 but above 40 a drop below 40 is an instant reduction.
    You have no way of telling when he is under 40 on a human meter.

That is why on both methods it clearly states to use a human meter. Using a pet meter does not allow you to benefit from the TR protocol in it's totality, and is contributing to the problems you are having with regulating Wally.
    Even more so, because Wally is a long term diabetic.

I would especially recommend the use of a human meter to anyone with a hard to regulate cat or a long term diabetic, I just think that otherwise progress is going to be very difficult at best.

9. Ginger Cat

Thanks for the explanation. And - guess what arrived in today's mail? The control solution for the Relion. I have to let it warm up to room temp before calibrating the meter so at least now I can do a comparison if he's still very low tonight.

I had a hard time getting the test strip to easily slide into the meter. Is that normal? I really had to force it in.

I compared the AT2 and the Relion Prime PMPS. AT2=449 and Relion Prime=338.

And, of course, he's not very hungry tonight. Probably because he ate a bit more than normal after his low readings. He's eating enough to get his insulin, for sure, and hopefully will eat more later.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  10. Ginger Cat

PMPS +2= 517 AT2 and 389 Relion Prime. Ate another 1/3 of his dinner.
    That's a big difference between the 2.
    0 ketones, 2000 mg/dL sugar