4/5 Newman AMPS 221, 250 raises question. Edit to add 129 @ +6.5, 142 @ +7.5

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Linda and Newman, Feb 20, 2023.

1. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I would definitely say that he needs an increase. But will a whole .25 increase be the magic number? I don’t know. Clearly we don’t want pink and yellow. At least yellow and blue would be preferable. As to why this dose is now not getting him into the same (lower) numbers as before, I will only give the answer that “a cat’s insulin needs can and do change over time.”

FrostD and Linda and Newman like this.
  3. Suzanne & Darcy

I don’t think you need to over analyze the situation. I think that for now an increase would be a good idea. You may end up decreasing again, but if so, maybe we can just skinny the dose a bit? But that is all putting the cart before the horse!

FrostD and Linda and Newman like this.
  4. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Thanks Suzanne. I've been checking the board at least once a day, always learn something and I've noticed it is keeping you very busy! I hope all is well with you, your family and the kitties!

5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I agree with Suzanne.

Which naturally means an AMPS of, oh, about 120 tomorrow lol!

Linda and Newman likes this.
  6. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

lol, you do sometimes have that effect!

Good to see you. I think of you and Evelyn and hope all is well with your family.

FrostD and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  7. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. Newman knows all! He knows we have been talking about this!

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Thanks, Linda. I have actually checked for a post from you for a while. Not that I was looking for trouble! I just was hoping you were okay and all was well with Newman and the rest of your family.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

Hello, Linda. I'm just checking in on you and Newman and looking at his spreadsheet. I hope all is well.

10. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Hi Suzanne. I was hoping that you were watching, so thanks for looking at Newman's SS. I haven't been able to frame a particular question in regard to his numbers so at this point it seems like I stay at the current dose hoping that a pattern will become apparent beyond one good day and the next day is wonky.

As always opinion and guidance are more than welcomed.

I hope that all is well with you.

FrostD likes this.
  11. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Looks good - happy to see many more yellows and blues

12. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Yes, finally seeing some blues!

Good to see you, Melissa. Thanks for taking a look. Come back anytime. lol

FrostD and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  13. Suzanne & Darcy

At least he’s hitting some blues. I think where we are is just about at the same place as usual. His dose could be fattened, but you may end up in the same place where you end up with numbers that you don’t want.

I am all right. :bighug:

14. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I'm not totally opposed to upping the dose, but I want to wait a few more days. Tomorrow I will be home alone when my car goes for service most of the afternoon. Then, I prefer to avoid changing the dose on the weekend since our household schedules are so uncertain.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  15. Suzanne & Darcy

I’m not even really suggesting increasing because it’s up to you and your circumstances. I would be suggesting it if you could get a hold of him when you wanted too, but that’s not always going to happen. I worry about that - and I don’t want you to be upset. On the other hand, I wish Newman would just be a little bit lower. However, with ProZinc not having a depot to keep him from rising too much and him being a little bouncy anyway… we will do our best. He seems to feel well and is happy! :cat:

16. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, and since we just said the “I” word, I expect Newman to show us a thing or two! :)

17. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Finally, made the increase in dose this morning, shooting 2 units.

I found out the hard way that when the vet/vet tech calls in script for insulin at Chewy, they should specify "unlimited" refills. When my vet called the original order, he allowed 23 refills which one would have thought would have provided unlimited refills. At that time I was pleased and since have refilled twice, but, when I placed an order about 2 weeks ago, I was informed it was not refillable. It seems that the 23 refills was being read as 23 ml, which is ridiculous. As you know, the insulin is in 10 ml vials. I had to bite my tongue to say something along the lines of okay, let me have 3 ml.

So it took extra time to contact the vet who is mobile and can be time consuming to reach. He has called in refill order now "unlimited." My current vial was getting low, so I wanted to make sure the new order would be granted. It arrived yesterday afternoon, so it all worked out in the end.

Just wanted to get you caught up. Thanks.

@Suzanne & Darcy

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  18. Suzanne & Darcy

That sounds very frustrating! I'm glad you finally got the new vial of ProZinc! I hope everything will be all right on the 2 units.

Thanks for the update! I have had frustrating experiences with Chewy pharmacy as well. One problem is getting through to an actual pharmacy staffer.

19. Suzanne & Darcy

Good morning, my friend! I just wanted to let you know that I was checking in on Newman’s SS to see how things are going on 2 units. I see a few blues on there, and I see that you are doing your usual excellent job of keeping up with him. We know that Newman can take a little time to settle into a dose. I hope you and the kitties and Minnie are all doing well and enjoying spring weather.

20. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Good morning. Thanks for checking on us. I am so, so grateful to have your knowledge and experience nearby. I often think of the couple of late nights you stood by and kept us going, not to mention the daily support.

Suzanne & Darcy and FrostD like this.
  21. Suzanne & Darcy

I see he had a nice blue mid-cycle number today. I hope he spent several hours there. Nice to see that! I hope your day went well.

22. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hi Linda, Glad to see him still hanging in yellows and blues!

23. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

In the mix of mostly yellows and blues, upon getting the fasting BG 221 this morning, I wonder if at this point, it is okay to proceed without the stall? This has happened a couple of mornings this past month or so. I want to trust that this is the way Newman does it.

He appears to be feeling well, doing all the usual cat things: zoomies some evenings, stalking and catching an occasional unfortunate gecko that gets inside on the screened porch, grooming, eating his FF and Dr. Elsey's treats for testing and play fighting with Ozzie.

@Suzanne & Darcy
    @FrostD
    @Shelley & Jess

Suzanne, I see the board is keeping you hopping. Thank you.

Melissa, I know your time here is premium and I was not sure if I should tag you or not. I know you peek when time permits. Thanks.

Shelley, I appreciate your review. All eyes count and experience is so valuable. Thanks.

24. Suzanne & Darcy

I see those days where he started in lower yellows and you stalled without feeding. Each time it appears he’s on his way up. I would try it next time he’s in a similar range of yellow. Hopefully today will give you one more data point since he did it this morning.

25. Suzanne & Darcy

How’s it going, Linda?

26. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I'm liking the yellow and blues, wondering if I should consider fattening the dose to get a little lower numbers or be glad for what we have going on.

27. Suzanne & Darcy

How are you, Linda. I was thinking about you with all the flooding. Are y'all okay down there? I hope it wasn't too damaging in your area or at your house?

28. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, and I see you've had good strings of blue lately. You've been doing an amazing job of just keeping on with the 2 units! I'm very proud. I see a couple of nights ago he had a good string of blues followed by a red AMPS, but then he got right back to work!

29. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Hey Suzanne, nice to see you stopping by. We had a lot of rain for several days, but fortunately no flooding or standing water. I thought that you may be getting a bit of bad weather where you are.

Thank you, I have been pretty happy about the yellows and blues. I did lose some of my confidence two nights ago when he was 107 @ +4, and since we suspect that he goes lower overnight, I fed some MC food and just a tad of HC hoping to stay out of trouble. So I got the red hit yesterday morning, but seem to be back on track a little more quickly this time.

I hope all is well with you and your family and kitties.

30. Suzanne & Darcy

We did have some rain last weekend, but nothing too severe. Easter Sunday turned out cool but nice. This week has been lovely. I guess to the south of you the flooding was bad?

You did well the other night with the 107 at +4. All good.