2/21 LT AMPS 117, throwing up; +2.5 57;+2.8 64; 50@+5; +5.5 73 PMPS 120 +3 189

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Suzanne Burton, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Suzanne Burton

Suzanne Burton Well-Known Member

No previous condo.
    LT threw up white foam several times before dinner last night. Today, he threw up yellow liquid about a 1/2 hour before eating. He then threw up his entire breakfast around 20 minutes after eating. I gave him a 1/4 tablet famotidine and a Vets Best hairball/digestive tablet. I then fed him another meal. Of course, he got his insulin. He has now thrown up a part of the second meal.

I talked with his vet and she said not to feed him again for about 4 hours. I asked about giving him high carb gravy if he should go low and she said that was fine. She thinks it’s just gastritis since he’s not sick in other ways.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  2. Suzanne Burton

+2.5 1/2 tsp MC14% gravy; testing again in 20 minutes

3. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hope LT’s appy improves. Been struggling with Ruby’s for the past few weeks so I know how worrisome it is when it comes on with no warning. :bighug:

Suzanne Burton likes this.
  4. Suzanne Burton

Was 59@3.5-fed more MC gravy.

50@+3.5- 15 grams of regular food with 1/2 tsp MC gravy

5. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear LT has a bit of a tummy problem! I sure hope it settles down.

If he slides anymore - you may want to put a drop of honey on the back of his paw...just to keep him up until he phases through this time. It's hard when they're not keeping the groceries down.

Luci threw up today on my new rug! She hasn't thrown up in two months - and now of course, has to 'christen' my new rug :( ugh...

6. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Are you still using a pet meter?
    Which one and what strips are you using?
    Since she is not managing to keep her food down, and she has been below 68 for quite a while now, and that is very concerning.
    I think you should rub a some honey on her gums see if that does the trick and brings her up.

7. Suzanne Burton

The 15 grams pate with 1/2 tsp MC gravy brought him up to a 73- Phew. I still use a Pet Test meter. I’ll check him again a 1/2 hour from last check to make sure it holds.

Not the exact way I planned on spending my birthday :rolleyes:.

8. Gill & George

I see he has come up into the 70's phew!

Is there any reason you did not stick to the single drop dose that @Wendy&Neko suggested on your previous condo.

I really do think he is on too much insulin and you should take a reduction to that drop dose,
    Push the plunger down firmly, insert it into insulin and let it suck up the dose, you should get a drop that way.

Today was 3 drops into lime green, (although with a pet meter you should be taking the reduction when he drops just the once below )
    and I know that him being sick today didn't help his BG

If this were my cat I would take the reduction.

When are you feeding him? If he is getting acid tummy, the foamy vomit, you might want to make sure he is getting a little something every 3hrs, George will get foamy vomit if he misses a snack. Maybe that would help if you are not already doing it.

9. Gill & George

you also need to make sure he is still up 2hrs from when he last had HC, as the carbs wear off and they can drop again.

10. Gill & George

Happy Birthday.

11. Suzanne Burton

The vet thought he had a touch of gastritis since he threw up last night and twice this morning. It’s pretty unusual for him to throw up- maybe once every other month. I’ve gotten some salmon pure bites that I can start giving him every few hours if he continues to do this.

We thought we figured out how to give him less than what we had been giving him without dropping him down to the needle juice (NJ). It’s been a while since giving him only NJ , but last time it sent him into high 100s/200s. We can try it again starting tonight if he comes up high enough. @Gill & George , should I wait about 20-30 minutes after his meal tonight before injecting? He had held down the 15 grams fed at midday.

12. Gill & George

Do you want to try giving him a +9 snack, it can help bring those PS down and it will help with the tummy issue. Some cats do get sick at times if they go too long without food.
    When you are on a microdose feeding at 3 hourly intervals can help keep his BG more level, it keeps his sputtering pancreas ticking along.
    You don't need to feed him more just divide up the meals.
    If you do that today maybe it will give you a better feel of whether he would hold on to his food.

You could test him 20min earlier see if he is high enough, give him the snack wait and see if he holds it down and shoot. That way you can shoot on time.

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Here's the link to your previous post here. As I said then, you really need to give less insulin. How he reacts this time could be different. There is too much lime on his spreadsheet.

The foamy vomit is often a sign of need more frequent snacks. The bile vomit can also be a sign of an empty tummy. I'd occasionally see it when Neko was going low.

Suzanne Burton and Gill & George like this.
  14. Suzanne Burton

@Wendy&Neko and @Gill & George , I gave LT Pure Bites Salmon treats every couple of hours throughout the afternoon and he kept it down. He didn’t throw up before dinner. He already gets a meal at fasting, a smaller one at +1 and then another smaller one at +3. It seemed to help prevent big drops at + 3 and big jumps at fasting.

We have heeded your advice and lowered his dose to NJ starting tonight. That turns out to be a good-sized 1 drop.
    Thank you so much for your guidance and direction :). I’ll try to be more consistent with my posts on here.

15. Suzanne Burton

Up to a 189 on NJ dose. Hopefully not too high in the morning.

16. Gill & George

He may bounce a little after that run in lower numbers

Hope he is feeling better, and that he settles into this new dose.