2/24 Cargo AMPS 353, 316@AM+3.5, PMPS 290, PM+3 253

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mel and Cargo, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Mel and Cargo

Mel and Cargo Member

Yesterday

Good morning. Cargo is still building up his depot apparently. Hopefully he starts getting down into the 200s at least. These suddenly common 300s are frustrating! :banghead:

Happy surfing to all!
    Melinda

2. Mel and Cargo

Mel and Cargo Member

Uh oh, just found puke for the second day in a row. Hopefully that's just related to his high numbers and that he doesn't feel good? I'll test for ketones when he goes up to the box. I've read some people say they can smell ketones on their cat's breath - what does this smell like? His breath has smelled kinda bad since I came back...

3. Mel and Cargo

Mel and Cargo Member

Ok, tested for ketones and seemed to come up with none. But I'm wondering if I'm doing this right - he pees in the box, and I just rub the test strip into some of what is essentially damp litter and that's it? It doesn't feel like there's much actual liquid getting onto the strip. I don't think he'll let me hold it under him while he goes, and since he squats anyway it would be difficult. The only other way I can think of would be to wait for him to finish and hope there's a drop left on his fur and try to test that?

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Ketone breath is supposed to smelly fruity - though never had personal experience. This post might help Tips to catch and test a urine sample

I wonder if what's making his numbers go off are the reason for the puking?

5. Mel and Cargo

Mel and Cargo Member

Thanks so much @Wendy&Neko I appreciate the link! Cargo used to puke a lot when he was first diagnosed and had high numbers. Hopefully its just that and not a sign of something more serious. His PMPS is finally a little bit lower so I'm hoping that's a good sign that the depot is building back up.
    What are your thoughts on my switching to TR? I'll be around a lot more this coming month to be able to keep a close monitor. Which is better for a stable and long lasting recovery?
    Thanks!

6. Wendy&Neko

Tight Regulation allows you to keep them in healing green numbers longer so the odds are better with TR for regulation and hopefully remission. It can still happen with SLGS, though not as frequently. You do test enough for TR, so as long as he's only getting the raw and wet food, you should be able to follow TR. Hopefully the next month around closer will get you some serious progress.

Note that for a cat greater than a year since diagnosis, they are considered long term diabetics, which changes the reduction criteria for TR.

7. Mel and Cargo

Mel and Cargo Member

Great! Thank you so much, I'll definitely switch to TR then if it gives him better odds. I need to re-read the TR document so will do that next. @Wendy&Neko does it explain the difference you mentioned, and any others, in there for long termers?

8. Wendy&Neko

Mel and Cargo likes this.
  9. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

I've smelled it on Minnie, it was a bit like nail polish remover (acetone). Very distinctive.

10. Mel and Cargo

Mel and Cargo Member

Thanks @Liz & Minnie! I'll keep a nose out for it! ;)
    BTW, looks like the new dose is getting Minnie closer to lagoon surfing! I hope she sees some more yellows soon. :)

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  11. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

Me too. She decided to bounce the other way but I'm hopeful.

I first smelled it on her when she was diagnosed and had stopped eating and then smelled it this last DKA, before it showed up in the ketostix even. It was only afterwards I discovered that not all kitty breath smells AND not everyone can smell it! Can't remember where I read it (probably somewhere here) but there are 3 different kinds of ketones and only one of them has the smell. A handy indicator though she is not impressed when I stick my face in her face to smell her breath....but I'm pleased it's nice and meaty these days.:)