2/24 Maggie AMPS 131; dosing thoughts/advice

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by cab, Feb 24, 2021.

1. cab

cab Member

Hi,
    This is a follow-up to post I made on 2/19 seeking thoughts about dosing recommendations as information to take with me when I speak to my vet about how to go forward with her. Last week I switched to wet food and it has made a difference in her bg #. My vet told me not to shoot if under 250 (using Alpha Trak). So I haven't given insulin in a week. I'm in Texas and everything shut down last week. I've left a message with my vet to talk about her #s, (both via call Friday and email yesterday) but haven't been able to talk to him yet, though I just called again and they said they would get back to me today (he was in surgery and I understand he just got back to office today). (I like him, but wonder if I should speak to another). She is in green normal zone in mid-day tests I've taken the last 2 days; it's about 3- 4 hours after she eats. I'm scared about dosing as I have seen, with 1 u, her bg drop as much as 200+ points.

Diet: As for eating, she is eating about 5 oz of wet. 2.5 in morning, and 2.5 evening. She doesn't seem to love it, but i don't want to go back to the dry.
    Thanks so much,
    Cecily

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/2-19-maggie-pmps-168-dosing-thoughts-advice.243402/

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi again. Would you do something for me? Get a test 3-4 hours after she eats breakfast and/or dinner. She’s higher than normal but that test in the 50’s without insulin is interesting and makes me think we can’t start insulin. Also it would be helpful to get some tests using a human meter. The Relion from Walmart is pretty cheap. Our methods were formulated using a human meter. The bg reads lower on a human meter. You can’t really compare the two though. Thoughts?

3. cab

cab Member

Hi,
    Thanks so much for responding. I just tested her and it's been about 3.5 hours since she ate. Her #s 76 (alpha trak). I shared her spreadsheet with my vet yesterday, and he thinks she is reverting and basically just wants me to monitor, and so we're not giving insulin. He said the fluctuations are normal. My fingers are crossed that this continues and improves.

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I agree. I think the pancreas is coming back to life. Keep monitoring like you are and get a test 3-4 hours after eating. Good luck! Keep posting.