2/25 Oberon AMPS 368 (0.5 R), +2 346, +4 299, +6 225, +9 156, PMPS 215, +3.5 157, +5 81

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lisa & Oberon, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Give the antibodies an inch, they’ll take a mile. :mad: I have seen one other IAA kitty that really needed to stay in the greens.

Lisa & Oberon likes this.
  3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

At least Oberon will eventually stop producing those troublesome antibodies, right? About a year max?

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Oberon comes back down soon. :bighug:

5. Lisa & Oberon

Yeah, time to be less cautious about reductions, I think. This is the second time he's done this now. The last "good" dose was really 6 U. Do you think I'd be justified in not waiting a full 6 cycles to bump back up to that? I don't want to have to play catchup all the way back up to 9 or 10 again.

Supposedly. It's been about 5 months since the IAA was diagnosed, and about 7 months since he came out of remission and started on Lantus again. We've seen signs that they're fading a bit, but we seem to hit a wall around 5 U or so. Seems like when we get to that point and then take the dose down a little too fast the IAA and/or glucose toxicity kicks in again.

We also still need to really definitively rule out acromegaly. His first test was negative (IGF 47, normal range 12-92), but we did it a little too early. Maybe it's time to get that test rerun?

6. Wendy&Neko

I won't hurt (except your wallet) getting the IGF-1 redone next time you are getting blood work done. Howie, who was originally just IAA, added acromegaly on his retest, though his original IGF-1 was higher, though still negative.

Oberon saw greens just 3 days ago on 5.25 units, and he's drifting down today. Let's give a couple cycles to see if he gets sorted. Hopefully NDW was the last couple cycles. For next time, I'd do increases by 0.5 units when over 5 units total dose.

7. Lisa & Oberon

Back to blue, finally. He's also been licking his lips a bit this afternoon. Nausea? Thirsty? Appetite seems fine, but I'll keep an eye on him. (My 0.25 increase was because my caliper measurements include about 0.5 U of dead space, so 5.5 U is really about 5 U. Anything above that will get 0.5 U increases.)

He's due for followup bloodwork in a month; I'll see about the IGF test then. My regular vet wanted to send us to the internist for it, though.

8. Wendy&Neko

Blood work is blood work. Maybe your vet can learn how to send blood to MSU from the IM vet. Good skill to have.

9. Lisa & Oberon

I think it was mostly because if it came up positive he wouldn't know how to treat it and would have to refer me out. Maybe I'll suggest that he go ahead and do it, and if it is positive, then I can go back to the internist (or maybe shop around a little to make sure I've got someone with acro experience).

10. Wendy&Neko

My vet tried to refer me out after a positive diagnosis, I refused. :p She didn't have acro experience but we learned together. With the help of people here. She even helped when we added kidney disease to the list, but "fired" me when heart disease and lymphoma got added to the list.

RachelG and Lisa & Oberon like this.
  11. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Come on Oberon...mama is going to increase your dose....maybe get back on track and show us a good number?

Nice job Lisa! It looks like he might need that nudge to get on back to the lagoon...oh these kitties :)

12. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I’m feeling your pain but would be overjoyed with your dosage. Howie is back up to 40units BID and his R isn’t doing much. I highly recommend doing the IGF-1 again. I did it in Sept and he was 83. Did it again in January and he was 532. Chasing these antibodies sucks!

13. Lisa & Oberon

Hmm. Wheezy hacking hairball noises earlier, but nothing's coming up yet. Maybe he's just dealing with a hairball and that's bringing BG up? Any hairball remedy recommendations? All I have is Laxatone, which is full of sugar, so that's no good.

14. Wendy&Neko

Yes, hairball pending can raise the numbers. Do you have any unsalted butter (as long as he's can take dairy), virgin coconut oil or olive oil? Dried egg yolk powder also helps. Details here.

15. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Egg Yolk! I buy from FFL - here's their blog on it (and within the blog it has links to their product and how to make your own). if you order from them, take their COVID shipping with a grain of salt - I got my last shipment within a few days (I think they just have the message up to cover themselves :)). And if you make your own egg yolk, be prepared to sacrifice your oven for much of the day (unless you have a dehydrator) - I made my own once (when FFL was out of stock) and it was not hard but also IMHO not my favorite thing to do :joyful:

Surf safely, Oberon :cat:

16. Lisa & Oberon

Salted butter, but no unsalted; I think we may have coconut oil and olive oil. I'll have to check. How much would I give him? I'll look into the egg yolk. We make hardboiled eggs all the time, but of course don't have any right now. :rolleyes: Is the drying/powdering process just for storage/dosing convenience? If I were to make some eggs now could I just give him a bit of yolk (and then powder the rest to store for later)?

FFL is less than an hour from me, so I'm guessing shipping would actually be pretty fast! I'll think about that option, too.

17. Wendy&Neko

Try something like a 1/2 tsp of oil to start. I'm sure you could give fresh boiled egg yolk, it just won't keep without drying.

18. Lisa & Oberon

81 at +5, because who needs sleep? :D