2/25 Pearl AMPS 78....PMPS 101, +1.75 96, +3 86, +6 107

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Margaret (and Pearl), Feb 25, 2021.

1. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

Good morning everyone!

Pearl earned her reduction last night PMPS in a dramatic way (well, to me). And I had a tough time getting her numbers to come up - and to be honest, I'm SUPER shocked she hasn't come up out of Green given that she has been eating MC (13%, well I thought it was 13 but it could be 12%). It's Hills A/D.

Yes, Pearl eating MC! Usually I stop her drops with 3%, she is THAT carb-sensitive. But the lows when she wanted that reduction - whole different story.

So this morning I started off with the MC and I hope she doesn't drop and doesn't spike.

Thanks for reading and have a great day. Pearl is testy from having her ears pricked and I am very sleepy.

Thanks to all who helped support me and figure this out last night. @JaxBenji @Marje and Gracie @Wendy&Neko @Butters & Lyla @Tina Marie and Jan@Missy & Tammy @Adrienne & Molly @tiffmaxee

Yesterday's post: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...2-5-60-6-61-7-5-69.243646/page-2#post-2748766

2. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Congratulations! It is scary, but good for them! Hope you can get some rest soon!

3. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Just here to drop off :coffee::coffee::coffee:

Good job last night and beautiful AMPS this morning :bighug:

Have a wonderful day, Margaret :bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Adrienne & Molly (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, good job last night and a great start to the day :D. It is scary to see low numbers Molly has been low alot past few days. Sometimes it's hard to get her numbers up. Surf safely today Pearl and enjoy your day Margaret here some more coffee :coffee::coffee::cat: and congrats on the reduction!

5. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Good morning Margaret - I would add more coffee, but I think you have plenty! Awesome job all day yesterday.

It's true - you were right at the mark of a week in green reduction, SO no doubt, Pearlie wanted less insulin.

I was excited about the reduction, and thought, "oh how brave she is to shoot . . . at all when right at 50". I've seen a lot of people more hesitant, and some even skipping (which isn't "wrong"). You did awesome, but I hurt for your likely exhaustion:bighug: Positive side is you learned more!

Lantus likes to work with, and keep numbers pretty stable and flat. It is a basal insulin used to keep level numbers, with small dips, ideally managed with food. But when first using it after our cat's diagnosis, we see those big curves, making it easy to be fearful shooting an already great number! I tried hard for that to make sense:D If it didn't, I apologize:joyful:

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  6. Margaret (and Pearl)

Does anyone have thoughts on how much I should be testing today? Pearl's ears need a break, but with having to give the 13% (and NO spike!) I don't know how much I should be testing?

7. Margaret (and Pearl)

Thanks so much Susanne. What a weird night! I appreciate you being there and having the foresight to know that I wouldn't know what I was doing lol, it would be THAT different from normal ;)

8. Margaret (and Pearl)

Good morning Karen, and thank you! I don't know how much I like reductions, now that I think about it lol ;)

9. Margaret (and Pearl)

Thanks Adrienne. I haven't even had a cup yet. I kept going back to bed, and setting my alarm to test this morning. Now I'm late to the office (home office hahaha) it's always weird to be behind on a day already at this hour.

10. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Thinking I would feed exactly as you were feeding (regular schedule), before the reduction, BUT with the 13% until nadir.

OR to start, instead of testing next hour, give a 13% snack. What do you think?!

11. Margaret (and Pearl)

Thank you Jan! I try not to think too hard about shooting numbers, or it would make me sick ;) I am glad I shot last night and hope this can give Pearl a leg up!

12. Margaret (and Pearl)

Hi and thanks!! I needed this input! I can do this, yes.
    I can do this, too. If she has a snack, she theoretically SHOULD be stable, so yes! And thank you! :bighug:

13. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Hopefully, you can only test 1/2 as much or less than yesterday!

Another of my ideas to lower testing, based on yesterday at the same times. The dose is lower, but depot still in play (less as time goes on).

Feed 3% mixed with a bit of 13% at +4.25, test at +5.25, feed 3% at 6.25 (unless higher, then 0), test at 7.25

Trying to save Pearl's ears!

14. Margaret (and Pearl)

Ok this sounds good I can try to do this. The thing now that she has had the 13% (which she loves) it might take a lot for her to go back to the 0% ugh, but she should be good with the 3% (she also loves that).

My worry (yes no data to substantiate it) is what if Pearl is just on the run now to get off insulin, and she just steamrolls down and the new dose is still too high?

15. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

if the new dose is too much, you will see it in your testing! She may very well start sliding down the scale quickly, like my gal did, after taking her up to 3 units. I was NOT doing as I should have though; I was winging it until I found this place. Thank G and FDMB Tina was ok.

If the same scenario as last night happens again, you might want to skip to help drain the depot. There are choices, but what you did was good, just rougher on you:bighug:

Ideally, Pearl would spend several days on a dose before each subsequent reduction. Cats just don't read any rules though;)

Margaret (and Pearl) likes this.
  16. Margaret (and Pearl)

Thanks, Jan. I think if she earns her reduction at pre-shot again or late in the cycle, I should perhaps consider a skip. She's had way too much of the 13% to keep her steady, even now. I do need to get back to her every-3rd-day Prednisolone, so maybe that will help her move down slower. I want her OFF of it completely, but just not sure her breathing can handle it - the jury is out on my conclusion (yes lots of other asthma meds long term).

17. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Whew! Ok, now I think you can relax a bit. Glad she's still under 100. I don't think you know how well you are doing!

What do you think about putting her on her regular snack schedule now?! I'm so happy she quit going down . . . and is still green:D

18. Missy & Tammy

Missy & Tammy Well-Known Member

Hey Margaret... congrats on the reduction :bighug:
    So funny to read your post about Pearl and her eating MC 13% and STILL in green. The same thing happened with Missy. It was so strange.. I was feeding her HC for 3 hours and she hardly budged. It's exhausting... hang in there you're doing amazing. I hope you get some rest and Pearl has a great day! :)

19. Margaret (and Pearl)

Lol, thank you. You are right, I have no clue if I am doing well or not. Yes, I will get back to the normal snack schedule (if I can remember what it is - not too great in the memory department hahaha). I think, if the rest of this cycle is stable, I will try doing her normal food at PMPS tonight, and will adjust with more 13% if she starts to go down again. What do you think? (LOL I'm a planner, I know I've got lots of hours before this happens...)

20. Margaret (and Pearl)

Hi Tammy, and thanks for your message. Actually, remembering that about Missy really helped me with Pearl last night and this morning. I was really not expecting it since 3% is usually the upper limit on what Pearl can do. And it makes me wonder if Pearl is set for another reduction after observing Missy's pattern with having a lot of work to keep her numbers up enough with the food.

21. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

If you don't want to take the credit, we will just say Pearl is making you look good! Don't be surprised if she goes up a little more than you like with all the 13%. Your plan is a good one. I love planning too, but Pearl will need to show her PMPS. I don't think she will repeat yesterday's excitement at PMPS. Ya hear me Pearl?

22. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Margaret, I was watching the Pearl drama unfold last night but didn’t want to add yet another voice to the chorus of helpers and cheerleaders but you are doing GREAT! I used to have to feed Ruby 28% HC to get her to come up from lows. She is on a mission. It’s exhausting physically and emotionally for a while but it’s all good. Keep it up, mama bean!

23. Missy & Tammy

Missy & Tammy Well-Known Member

Hi Margaret

It's kinda neat how we started this journey almost at the same time. You started the forum on Dec 25th and I started Dec 30th. I've learned a lot from you and Pearl as well..like the first time you shot GREEN... :D I was following the conversation and I remember being on the edge of my seat with anticipation :woot:. I'm glad us newbies can learn from each other. It's exciting to watch our girls get better every day. I love the support and encouragement from people like you here on FDMB and the absolutely amazing admins that give their time and dedication everyday. Have a wonderful night! :bighug::bighug:

24. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Well, Pearlie....what you have been up to today!! :D:D:DYour poor mama. I think you are just liking that 13% too much.

(((Margaret))) You’ve not had a moment to catch a nap. I hope she will give you a break tonight. If you feel like it’s too much and you are having to fight the BGs a bit too much, you can choose to take another reduction. You can also skip a shot to drain the depot and then pick up where you left off. There are options. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

25. Margaret (and Pearl)

I think she miiiiight be calming down (??) This evening's cycle I've given her usual 0 and 3%s, but more 3% than usual. She is not really dropping. If it turns out to be too much and she does something wonky tonight, maybe I should reduce again for the AM shot tomorrow only and then I can sleep in the morning. Does this sound reasonable if tonight is too much activity on her part?

LOL I don't think about options - I don't even know to ask about options (my brain just doesn't think that way oy!), so this is good information. I will have to keep this in mind to start asking.

:bighug:

26. Marje and Gracie

Absolutely it does. Yes, please ask because we always have some options :smuggrin:

27. Margaret (and Pearl)

Ok, and thank you. So, if I reduce tomorrow it's another 0.25U for the one cycle, yes?

28. Marje and Gracie

Yes but remember, there is always a depot in play. We can hope the 3u depot might be depleting.

Margaret (and Pearl) likes this.
  29. Margaret (and Pearl)

I am hopeful she is stable back on her usual food selection tonight :D:D:D

30. Marje and Gracie

Me too.