2/27 Jasmine. PMPS 8.2 - skipped shot

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by flyingduster, Feb 26, 2019.

1. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

ok, first ever shot of lantus last night.

PMPS: 21.8/+2: 21.2/+4: 18.7/+7: 18.6, and now +11 is 11.8.

She was eating the remains of overnight food when I tested her at +11, and I’ve now withheld that cos I don’t want her AMPS mistakenly up.

If it’s going up again, I can shoot still right? I will be home all day except for one hour this afternoon.

If it’s still going down or the same though, do I give a reduced dose?? She has no depot of it to speak of yet and she’s a notorious bouncer on caninsulin so don’t want to skip do I??

2. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Oops and I’ve forgotten to add her name to the title. I can’t edit it in. Sorry! Newbie. Haha.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

To edit the title, go to your first post of the day. On the top right of the post should be an Edit Title button. It's small.

Most people here talk US numbers, but I'm Canadian so know what you meant by 11.8.:) For newbies, it's fine to shoot anything over 200 (11.1). While you are still new, it's a good idea to remove food for the two hours before the shot, so you know it's not food influenced.

4. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

I can edit my post but it won’t let me edit the actual title. *shrug*

And I normally do withhold the food two hours prior to her PS, it just didn’t happen today until 1 hour prior. So no I have 20 mins until her dose is due and I’m hoping it’s not too low!

5. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Hah, found it under “thread tools” lol

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

The Edit Title button is not on the text box for the post, but rather up to the right on the screen.

flyingduster likes this.
  7. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

AMPS is 12.0 (216) so it’s ok to shoot still??

8. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

1U shot anyway. 12 isn’t tooooo low, it’s just lower than I am used to for a preshot number on her! I am home all day to keep an eye on her. She is eating well (sometimes a problem for her!) and has a history of bouncing so we will see how she goes.

9. Wendy&Neko

Lantus is good at keeping low numbers flat. You shouldn't see the big drops you would on Caninsulin. We also dose based on how low the dose takes the cat, with little consideration for the preshot numbers. So yes, it requires different thinking at first.

A good next test to get is the +2 test. For many kitties on Lantus, the +2 gives you a heads up on what the cycle might look like. A normal Lantus cycle will have a +2 similar to the preshot. A more active cycle requiring closer monitoring has a lower +2. A quiet (likely bounce) cycle has a higher +2.

flyingduster likes this.
  10. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Thanks! I’ve heard about “active” cycles and wasn’t sure what that actually meant, but a possibly dropping cycle needing more action/attention makes sense! Haha.

I felt reasonably confident that shooting her at 12.0 was fine because it’s a “gentler” insulin than I’m used to!

I know you dose on nadir, it’s just that it would appear her PS was almost nadir! Haha. But we will see, it’s very early days yet. I’ll get a +2 and see how she is then. Thank you!

11. Wendy&Neko

The nadir will be hard to tell until you get the depot established. And they can move around even then. My girl like to nadir late, some cats like to nadir early.

flyingduster likes this.
  12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Amy, I think Jazz likes the Lantus! A much better Preshot than she was getting on Caninsulin. So glad you have managed to get her swapped over finally. Wendy helped me with Sheba when I arrived here in 2015 .... you are in good hands:)
    Here is the link to your previous post.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/starting-lantus.211207/

flyingduster likes this.
  13. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

I’m really interested to see how she goes over time!! I feel like finally we can try to progress better anyway so I’m glad.

Her +2 has dropped a bit so I will be watching her ongoingly through the day.

Here is a cute video from last week, of my youngest daughter pretending to test Jasmines ears! Jazz is so tolerant of it now, she clearly can just leave if she wanted to! haha.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  14. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That’s very cute! And how good isJazz!
    I taught my 9 year old granddaughter to test Sheba ( this was 4 years ago)and when I had to go into hospital unexpectedly she taught her mother and my hubby how to test.
    Jazz is looking good !

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    flyingduster likes this.
  15. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Gosh I am loving these numbers. A nice gradual drop so far; a little over 1 mmol/L per hour. Such a change from the caninsulin drops. Lol. And still room to drop at that rate and stay safe, so I’m happy just keeping an eye on her as she goes without worrying too much.

What I am really interested in, is how much she rises again!

16. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Jazz is looking great! Such a difference to the caninsulin!

flyingduster likes this.
  17. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

I’m going to be out at the +6 time, but will be home about 30-45 mins later. I’ll test her once I get home but I don’t feel like she’s plummeting down at all and she’s still in the blue anyway so I’m sure she will be fine. Hubby is home and I’m only 5 mins away so can come home if she suddenly acts out of sorts and needs attention.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  18. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

She’s down to (dark) green! We are at +7 now so I’m hoping it won’t really go too much lower now and will just surf a bit before rising again. But I am home for the rest of the day so can keep tabs on her.

19. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Her first green number and she’s been on Lantus less than 24 hours! It will be interesting to see how she goes over the next few days.
    Have you given her any food during the cycle..... her usual snacks I mean?

20. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Yes she’s had her usual food all day. She tends to eat about a spoonful every couple of hours pretty much like clockwork. She reminds me when it’s time to test her as she gets up for more food then. Haha!

She has friskies pate and also another NZ brand of canned pate that seems to have low carbs and she likes.

21. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Just did another check and she’s still dropping. I’m now starting to hope it doesn’t keep dropping. I have some gravy friskies in the cupboard if needed. At what point do I intervene with gravy food to try and just head off the drop? She shouldn’t be too far from nadir now?

22. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If she drops below 50 (2.8) give her some h c food or some honey to bring her back up over 50. Then test again twenty minutes later.
    At this point test again an hour after your last test to get the next one.

flyingduster likes this.
  23. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Thanks. I was thinking I’ll just do hourly testing for now and see how she is going to keep tabs on her. Currently she’s snuggled on my lap happily.

I will be ordering more strips tomorrow! I have enough, even if she goes hypo and needs frequent testing, but realised this is my last pottle of them now so will order more tomorrow when my pay comes through.

For now I can only order a couple at a time because I’m still paying off the vet bill from her DKA, as well as now $50 for the lantus! Haha. Once that’s paid off I will have more money to save up and buy more at once and save on shipping. Same with syringes!

24. Bron and Sheba (GA)

How many strips do you have left now?

25. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

I just opened my last pottle of 50 yesterday (I thought I had another!) I will order more tomorrow and they arrived the next day last time. I can also go to the pharmacy for some off the shelf if I really have to, they’re just much more expensive there!

And now +9 is up again anyway. I’ll still check in another hour to be sure of course but here’s hoping that was nadir!

26. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Also, I’ve been editing the title with her updated results at every reading. Is that right?

27. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes that is correct to put the BSL s in the title. That way we can see at a glance what’s happening without going into the thread.

flyingduster likes this.
  28. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

She’s definitely on the rise now. I’m just giving her a feed now and then putting the lid on that ahead of her PMPS. Interested to see how far she comes back up. And wondering if she will bounce after the greens today. We shall see!

29. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Her PMPS is only 8.2. I haven’t given her shot and I am still withholding her food.

Do I give a decreased dose? Skip the shot??

30. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I was typing the below message when you posted. I think you should skip. You need to decide what method you are going to follow. See below.
    Amy have you decided if you are going to follow the Tight Regulation or the SLGS method?
    if you can’t test during most cycles it might be better to start with the SLGS method because the TR is quite aggressive and needs quite a bit of testing most cycles. I know it can be hard for you with 3 little kids
    If you decide to do the SLGS method, Jazz has earned a reduction down to 0.75 unit. Any number under 90 earns a reduction with the SLGS

31. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Yeah I hadn’t yet figured out what method to follow as I haven’t quite understood them despite reading the posts a lot.
    I am home most days still so can test during the days 4-5 days a week. But when I’m at work I can’t obviously, and I do struggle with testing overnight if it is needed regularly. So maybe I am best with the SLGS?

I did feel like she might need a reduction if the depot hasn’t even *begun* to level out yet and she went quite low today.

So skip it and let her eat?

32. Bear & Lora

Bear & Lora Well-Known Member

Bron thinks you should skip.
    Bear and Jasmine are both being active tonight, lol.

33. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You can always swap to TR anytime if you do start with SLGS.
    And yes, she has started brilliantly on the Lantus and I think a reduction is warranted as this is only her second dose and she has earned a reduction on the SLGS method if that is the way you are going to go.
    Yes feed her, skip dose tonight, and in the morning give her 0.75 units.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Reason for edit: added skip dose tonight
    flyingduster likes this.
  34. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Ok, thanks guys! Shes eating now and I will skip the shot. Tomorrow is a new day and I will aim for 0.75.