2/28 Cargo AMPS 329, +4 303, PMPS 338, +3.5 290

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mel and Cargo, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Mel and Cargo

Mel and Cargo Member

Yesterday

Morning all. Well, we're going on day 6 of this bounce. Does anyone else's cat do this - lick plastic and then puke? Cargo was licking a plastic bag for a little while, and then he puked. I'm not sure if he's doing this when he's hungry and then he's so hungry he pukes, or if there's something in the plastic that makes him puke, but either way: Cargo licks plastic = Cargo pukes.
    I haven't checked for ketones yet today but obviously something is going on so I'm thinking I should call the vet? Even though I trust them about as much as anyone else on here and especially if I don't have any real symptoms to report other than high BGs and more puking than normal. Thoughts?

Anyway, hope everyone is having a good day, or night!

2. Mel and Cargo

Mel and Cargo Member

Ok, it's been 6 cycles at 0.25 and nadirs are still high. I think I'll raise up to 0.5.

3. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but I am mostly responding to bump up and get more eyes! :)

Mel and Cargo likes this.
  4. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

I would bring him to the vet to be checked out, Mel. The recent puking doesn't seem normal, and if flowers are the culprit then he could have eaten something toxic and that's throwing off his numbers.

5. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

Minnie's civvie brother Sam loves to lick plastic, especially to remind me when it's feeding time...but doesn't typically puke. I have wondered what causes it. Minnie likes to eat paper so now she's diabetic I'm keeping that out of her way because I'm sure paper = carb.

I haven't really helped much here but at least offering moral support! Good luck getting to the bottom of this.

6. Mel and Cargo

Mel and Cargo Member

The eating of the flowers was after many days into this crazy bounce. But one thing I did see, come to think of it, when this all started was some bird poop he found outside while on one of our morning outings into the garden. But there's no associated diarrhea like with giardia. Is there any possibility of insulin resistance? I'm no longer thinking pancreatitis because his appetite is fine.

7. Mel and Cargo

Mel and Cargo Member

That IS interesting! I figured there was some chemical or taste that somehow satiates them. Or probably just that it's loud and annoying so is therefore the best way to bring to our attention their plight! LOL!!

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  8. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

my cats always like to chew on plastic bags.... worries me and I try to keep on top of it, but it happens. The do puke often afterwards, and I have the same thoughts as you... that they might be hungry or looking for something to eat and puke, like when the go in the garden, eat grass and puke:rolleyes:
    I would think that if it was something toxic that he would be unwell and not eating?

9. Mel and Cargo

Mel and Cargo Member

:joyful: LOL Karen, that's too funny! They're like kids, put stuff in mouth that shouldn't be there, and up it comes!
    I agree - don't really think it's anything toxic due to good appetite and no unusual bathroom surprises. So I'm down to the world's longest bounce or some type of insulin resistance. Or for all I know this is normal to be close to OTJ and suddenly jump back up to crazy levels! I'll happily take any advice or even random thoughts! He's still my happy purrbaby - all Ps in place (but with the additional Puke). o_O

Hercule's mum likes this.
  10. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

The sixth "P" - puking:confused:. Lol.
    Butters also likes to chew and lick plastic: specifically plastic bags. I caught her tearing plastic packing tape off a box with her teeth a few days ago. She was having a ball. But this behaviour has never induced vomiting.

My random thoughts:
    -You've seen blue nadirs on the .25u dose: it looks like Cargo could be bouncing from those blues. It's not the world's longest bounce. Cats bounce from a number that feels low to them, but doesn't necessarily look that low to us.
    -With nadirs <200, you'd normally hold the dose for ten cycles before increasing. Unless someone told you specifically to increase...tbh I didn't look back on your condos.
    -It's possible that Cargo could be going lower at night. Many cats do. It wouldn't hurt if you could get an extra overnight test in, like you did on 2/25.

11. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

YES. He's trained me to hear plastic-bag-licking from a mile away. Also sound of scratching the wall or sides of the litter tray or anything but the litter to let me know I must IMMEDIATELY remove the offending items.

Mel and Cargo likes this.
  12. Mel and Cargo

Mel and Cargo Member

Thanks so much Lyla! Ok, hopefully he recovers ok from the 0.5 I already shot tonight. But I'll go back to 0.25 for a few more cycles.
    Do you think this is anything that I should take him to a vet over? Or wait it out a little longer? So far no ketones and he's truly acting normal - although has regained some of the standard diabetes traits - always hungry and a little wobbly in the rear.

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Given the blues are mostly high blues, you are OK with sticking with the 0.5 unit dose. Nadirs under 200 are held for 6-10 cycles. I tended to longer for lower blues.

The pukes are rather frequent. What do they look like? Foamy white, greeny/yellow, fully digested food, fresh food? Yes, may ways to describe puke and mean different things!

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  14. Mel and Cargo

Mel and Cargo Member

His puke has been mostly just light brown, non-foamy, small diameter (maybe 3 inches for the first, 1 inch for the second - because if there's one there's two!), fully digested food unless it's plant stems which are recognizable. He puked more frequently back when first diagnosed and had higher BGs so I'm hoping that's all this is. Just sad that it's back.
    And thanks Wendy, I'll stick to the 0.5. I liked this morning's AMPS!