2/28 Marley |AMPS 407|+6 118|+7 174|+10 450|+12 HI

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MarleyMoo, Feb 28, 2021.

1. MarleyMoo

MarleyMoo Member

2. MarleyMoo

MarleyMoo Member

He should be getting his shot in about 5 minutes and his reading is "HI". Keep sticking with this dose or reduce? Im only worried because he gets really sickly with bouncing. He ends up peeing out the box which he did an hour ago.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hold the dose, it takes 5-7 days to build the depot. The Hi is just him bouncing. More in a bit.

MarleyMoo likes this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Hi and welcome from me. Just wanted to get the dosing out to you while I type more.

With Lantus, we look at the nadirs, or how low the dose is taking this cat in deciding how to change the dose. 2.5 units, without the depot even being full yet, got him to 101 yesterday. That's pretty good for starting out on Lantus. Now, unfortunately, you will have to be patient while he finishes the bounce and will learn why we say that Lantus teaches patience. :)

Unfortunately the only way to get them to stop bouncing is to get them spending more time in those lower numbers he's not used to. It doesn't work to gradually work your way down by getting them used to higher numbers first. More insulin can also reduce the height of the bounces. Lowering the dose now would only make his bounce numbers worse.

You asked about bubbles yesterday. I found it easier if after I got the insulin in the syringe and out of the cartridge (pen), I deliberately drew the plunger back a tiny bit more, creating a bigger bubble on top. Then do the flicking. Little bubbles seek the bigger one. Then twist the syringes to get out the bubbles.

MarleyMoo likes this.
  5. MarleyMoo

MarleyMoo Member

Sounds good. It was just so shocking with yesterday being so great and then boom, back to high numbers. We've never had such great numbers so I was on one hand, not surprised to see high numbers because I'm used to them, but also surprised because of how great the day was. It was a little sad.

6. Wendy&Neko

Besides being such nice numbers, they went on a really long period of time. Which I found freaked Neko's body out too. He will get back there again.

Are you testing periodically for ketones? Just asking because he did have a DKA incident last year. And having a history of ketones, especially if recent, is yet another reason not to lower the dose. If you are testing periodically, it'd be great to put the test results in the Remarks section of the spreadsheet.

7. MarleyMoo

MarleyMoo Member

I do. No traces as of yet.

Wendy&Neko likes this.