2/4 Buddha p.m. -- help please!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Donna & Buddha, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

amps 336
    shot 2.1 ish, think I was torn between a 2 and 2.2 and the plunger slid almost inbetween
    fed a can of ff
    +3.5 102
    fed another can of ff (this is the routine feeding schedule, 2 cans per morning, timing may vary)
    +4.75 212
    +7 467
    +8.5 463

The +3.5 test was a teeny tiny drop of blood, but the meter accepted it. If we disregard that number, then I'd say the dose is too low and need to go higher. If the 102 is accurate (and it probably is, right?), then the curve looks a lot like rebound. (Correct?) With the nadir so early too, then ... longer lasting insulin needed? Shoot tid (no, no, no, please no)? Or would that also just point to too much insulin.

I never pull back on the plunger after I get the needle in to check for blood. So hard to imagine accidentally hitting a vein.

Don't have a clue if I should reduce or stay at 2u for tonight.

2. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

That is quite strange! I'm sorry I don't have any dosing advice for you. Will you be able to monitor tonight?

I have a hard time telling the difference between the liver freaking out (something you should shoot through, i.e. not reduce the dose) and rebound (something where you should reduce the dose). I don't feel comfortable advising you on what to do, I'm sorry. :(

I just wanted to say I know it's hard to not know what to do and to not get any responses. Personally, I would err on the side of caution and get more data on how this dose goes. Better too high for a day than too low for a minute.

3. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

I would assume that the 102 was an error. What meter are you using? I've noticed that with my Contour, if I get a really small drop of blood and it accepts it, I sometimes get a wonky number. A few days ago I got a 165 at pmps when Blackie was normally high. I poked again and tested again immediately and got a number in the 200's. And then yesterday I got a number in the 400's with a very small sample and retested and got 357. I don't think the small samples are accurate.

4. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Thanks Ele! Yes, I'm using a contour meter and yes it was a tiny sample. It happened that way another time for me before too, small sample, unexpectedly low number. In hindsight, I always ask myself why I didn't retest right away with another strip. (edit to add: On the other hand, I don't always know I have a questionable value until I see the curve and go, huh.)

Well then, no rebound, and I should be increasing his dose ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.