2/6 - Sadie needs dosing help!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kacie and Sadie, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kacie and Sadie

Kacie and Sadie Member

Hi Everyone!

Its been a few days since we lowered Sadie's dose from 2 units to 1.5. After seeing an 83 for a AMPS, we got nervous and lowered it to 1 unit. Did we mess this up? Should we have left it at 1/5 for a few more days? Today's numbers were higher. She is acting normal and eating normal - all wet food. Need some advice. Have to give her the shot in a bit.

Thanks again!!

Kacie and Sadie
    (And Tim :)

2. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Re: Update on Sadie - Dosing..Am I doing this right?

I think I would leave it a 1.0 for a week to see how she does. You may end up increasing again, but I think it is better to collect some data at this dose rather than change the dose again so soon.

3. Kacie and Sadie

Kacie and Sadie Member

That's what I thought- I just wanted to double check with you all. But is it ok with her numbers looking like that (today). I plan to do a curve this Saturday since I will be off work.

4. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

What do you think about moving to u-100 syringes?

Which PZI are you using? If you get the chance you may wish to put together a Profile - instructions can be found in the Tech Support Forum.

5. Kacie and Sadie

Kacie and Sadie Member

Hi!~
    I don't have an opinion on the u-100. I read that it has to be u-40- is that right? I'm using the IDEXX PZI.

6. Gator & H (GA)

Nope not right [necessarily].

You can read our sticky about using the U-100's
    viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1979

They really do help dosing in more consistent and finer gradients. And many here use them successfully.

Using U-100 syringes would allow you to make changes in 0.2u or even 0.1u increments.

7. Kacie and Sadie

Kacie and Sadie Member

Thanks so much. I just read it and now I get how some of you are getting .6 etc. It seems pretty easy with the conversion chart but it makes me a little nervous.

8. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Since you've already lowered the dose to 1.0 you might as well stay with the dose for the next 3 days. By then you'll know if you need to increase to something between 1.0 and 1.5. It will also give you time to pick up some U-100 syringes. I was very nervous about making the conversions too at first, but after 3-4 shots, the conversion becomes almost automatic. Those smaller increment adjustment really do make a difference, especially if you need to find a dose between 1.0 and 1.5.

9. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Kacie,
    If you decide to try the U-100 syringes, you can get them at Walmart or you can order them online from Hocks.com. They really do take a lot of the guess work out of dosing. I keep the conversion chart next to our notebook where we record the bgs. I check the chart everytime before each shot. The U-100 syringes are also shorter and smaller, so they are more comfortable for the kitty. If you want more info on the syringes, just ask and we'll get you the links/info.
    Ele & Blackie

10. Kacie and Sadie

Kacie and Sadie Member

Thank you very much! Wal-mart is very close. Can you tell me the exact type of U-100 syringe to get?

11. Gator & H (GA)

U-100, 31 Gauge, 3/10cc, 5/16 inch Needle, 1/2 Unit Markings

1/2 unit markings is important and 1/3cc is important. If they are 30g that's OK too. 5/16 inch needles are the "short" needles that most prefer but it is not crucial.

12. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

make sure that it says 1/2u markings on the box, and I always take a syringe out and double check the markings are there - can't tell you how many boxes the clerks have brought me saying "yeah, this has 1/2u markings" when they don't! I think maybe they aren't bought as commonly, at least at my Walmart.

13. Gator & H (GA)

Joanna,

I know we've gone back and forth on this before, but at Costco [in LA] now they won't even sell/give me syringes that do not have needles. This is a change from just a couple months ago where I could get syringes without needles. I'm stunned that you can get something with a needle in CA without a prescription.

grr_red

The whole thing is SO stupid!

14. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hmmm, well I haven't tried buying them in months, so perhaps it has changed. I concluded I liked the Hocks ones better, so I've gone with those, plus rarely shooting these days anyhow...

15. Kacie and Sadie

Kacie and Sadie Member

Re: Update on Sadie - Did the Curve today....

Hi everyone,

I did Sadie's curve today and her numbers were highish. She ate pretty well today so I don't know if that has anything to do with her numbers being higher. (I updated her spreadsheet) By reading the regulation article on this website, her lowest point of her curve was above 150 so it means to up her dose .5 right? (from 1 to 1.5 units)

I talked to Tim about switching to U-100 syringes and he was so against it because of the fear we may do something to hurt her and it be irreversible. At this point, we are still using the U-40's.

16. Gator & H (GA)

How would you feel about eye balling .25u changes?

An upside down curve like you have can be a sign of too much insulin. Also on 1 unit you ended up with a PS of 49 from over 300. Again, IMHO this may point to the need for a reduction rather than an increase. Was there anything special that happened overnight that could explain that big drop? Less food maybe?

I hope others will chime in here.

Maybe you can buy some U-100's and play around with them [fill with water and go through the routine while you are actually shooting with the U-40's but not actually shoot with the U-100's] and see if you can get comfortable with them? I do understand if it is out of your comfort zone -better to be safe than sorry. Or I can mail you a few if you think that could help.

17. Kacie and Sadie

Kacie and Sadie Member

Hi there!

The drop to 49 I'm thinking was that she ate her last snack to early and didn't eat overnight. (She slept until we got up). I did leave food for her and put it out late so it would be at least fresher. My gut was to eyeball the .25 but went with the .5. I think I can get some U-100's from the vet and practice with water first and then I will show Tim. I am happy he cares so much about her and that something like that matters to him. Tonight, i will make sure she eats before going to bed. Did we screw up by giving the 1.5? Thanks so much Gator~ We'll eyeball tomorrow for 1.25u right?

Kacie , Tim, and Sadie

18. Kacie and Sadie

Kacie and Sadie Member

On another note, Tim just agreed to getting some U-100's and practicing with water in the sink!

19. Gator & H (GA)

You may get your vet very worked up if you tell them you are going to use U-100 syringes. They can be very touchy about this since it is their name on the prescription. Are they cool with you home testing? If you would like, PM me your address and I'll send you some on Monday. I used to go down to the LBC a lot but no so much these days. But if your vet is cool like that then no reason not to get from the vet.

I was just out and was thinking about what you said about the document. Doesn't it actually suggest one may want to start out at .5u and change in .25u increments unless you cat is insulin resistant? I'm betting Sadie will not end up needing a whole bunch of insulin. There are many cats here that need less than 1u [especially once they get on the low carb wet diet]. You guys are on the low carb wet food ONLY now right? And for how long?

Any ideas why she did not eat overnight that night?

I'm hesitant to tell you what you should dose your cat with as I'm not much on giving dosing advice. And who knows what tomorrow will bring. Some may say stick with 1.5u since you started down that path.

20. Kacie and Sadie

Kacie and Sadie Member

There were 2 vets I was working with and one out of the two suggested to home test. The other never did. Sadie is on wet food only. Fancy Feast (the 4 kinds that are low card) and wellness (no grain yellow label). No dry at all! She might have just been sleepy and didn't get up to eat. We usually can hear her eating because her ID tag hits the dish when she eats. I believe it said start at .5 but I thought it was from the very beginning - she was in the hospital for 6 days and they started her really low and ended up at 3 units twice a day....until I changed her diet to wet food only! Now, I don't know what I should do - do a week of 1.5 or lower it to .5? Help please :)

Gator I am going to PM my address -thank you so much.

Kacie, Tim, and Sadie

21. Kacie and Sadie

Kacie and Sadie Member

I forgot to add that when she was in the hospital it was back on Dec. 23rd.

22. Gator & H (GA)

If no one else chimes in here soon to help you with dosing, you may want to start a new topic in PZI like "[date] Sadie - need dosing help"

Also you may want to make noted in your SS about what happened with the food and mosr stuff like that. Also when you changed to low carb wet etc.

23. Kacie and Sadie

Kacie and Sadie Member

Will do- thanks! I updated her ss that she started all wet food back on January 17th.

24. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Hi Kacie,

I'm with Gator that the 1.5 is going to be too much. The fact that she went to 49 because she didn't eat is worrisome. I'd drop back to the 1.0 unit until you get the U-100 syringes (with 1/2 unit markings). Then I'd try a dose of .8 units (draw up to the 2 unit mark on the U100 syringe). I'd stick with that dose for 3-4 days since Sadie seems to take longer than others cats to equilibrate on a dose. If she stays high, I'd go to 1.2 units (drawn up to the 3 unit mark on the U100 syringe). That way you are bracketing a dose (1.0) that seemed to work pretty well, but not quite good enough. At these very small doses, even .1 unit change can be significant.

25. Kacie and Sadie

Kacie and Sadie Member

Thank you so much. I agree. I appreciate the help. Let's see how it goes...

26. Gator & H (GA)

Hey Terri, what about Sadie's SS makes you say this [hoping to learn something here]?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.