? +2 69

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Viktoria, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

HC food? Test every 30 mins? What do I do? And what do I do about the dose going forward?

Edited: +2 69 (I can’t seem to find where to edit the subject line)

2. Leah

Leah Member

Can you give a tablespoon of high carb food and test in 20 minutes?

3. Leah

Leah Member

If memory serves with SLGS lower than a 90 earns a reduction. So you'll be at 0.75 tomorrow.

4. Leah

Leah Member

Do you have a hypo kit - some karo/corn/maple syrup, lots of test strips, and some HC food?

Sorry, i'm not an expert, i'm just here because you shouldn't be alone. Someone more knowledgeable will come along. Can toy change the icon on the thread to 911?

5. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

Yep, re-testing him in a bit. I gave him some HC wet food, which he didn’t approve of. So I snuck him a few kibble pieces (3) just to see if that helps.

Leah likes this.
  6. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

I do have all of those, yep!

I appreciate you being here! Thank you so much. I can’t seem to edit the title of the post, let me try again.

7. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

Does that mean that I reduce it each day if he goes below 90? Or do I hold the lower dose the way I did with the higher dose?

8. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

68 is the take action number for the Alpha Trak, you are not in any critical danger.
    I would just give Ninja a little food, MC or Low carb and test again. Don't panic, you are ok. Ninja is ok. Regarding the dose, a more experienced member will advise.

Here's from my saved notes:
    If your cat is testing in low numbers and you are not getting a quick response to your post, there are several things you need to do. (Low numbers are under 50mg/dL or 2.8 mmol/L.)
    Depending on how carbohydrate sensitive your cat is, feed approximately a teaspoon or less of gravy from high carb food or high carb food only. (If you have a cat with GI issues, using a couple of drops of syrup plus low carb food is an alternative.)
    Test again in 15 – 20 min. Depending on the numbers, give more HC food.
    Repeat the above steps every 15 – 20 min. until your cat tests in the 50 mg/dL (2.8 mmol/L) or above range for 2 consecutive tests. Continue to feed in small amounts to keep numbers in a safe range.
    Test in 30 - 40 min. and repeat the test and feed process until there are 2 consecutive tests where numbers are stable or rising.
    Test in an hour and follow the same steps.
    DO NOT become complacent. If number have risen after one or two tests, it’s important to continue testing. Numbers may bobble up and down as the HC food and/or Karo wear off. DO NOT get one test where your cat has risen from low numbers into the 50s and go to sleep or leave the house. You are putting your cat in a risky situation. When in doubt, leave HC food out.

Viktoria and Leah like this.
  9. Leah

Leah Member

Viktoria likes this.
  10. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

Thank you so much! That makes prefect sense about dry food - that was silly of me. He has dinner out still (he’s a grazer, so it’s out until about 2.5 hour prior to his next shot) so I might add some syrup to that.

11. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

Thank you so much! I’ll be testing him here again in a few.

12. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

And now he’s at 87, at basically +2.5
    I’ll keep testing every hour or so until it looks more stable, correct?

Also, as far as dosing, should I start .75 tomorrow?

CassAndGordy(GA) likes this.
  13. Idjit's mom

I don't advise on dosing, let's see who of the senior Lantus users are on and might chime in.

Viktoria likes this.
  14. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

Thank you!

15. Idjit's mom

Viktoria likes this.
  16. Pearl and Emily

Pearl and Emily Member

Though that's not a great number, I would give high carb additives modestly. You don't want him to sky rocket. And it's better to see what his body wants to do naturally so that you can guess as to how he's responding to the insulin. When you add lots of factors that break routine, it gets complicated. I'm speaking from experience as we speak. I'm going to be staying up late tonight because my own is diving tonight.

Viktoria and Leah like this.
  17. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

Ugh, that's 100% valid. I totally panicked. Saw the number, posted on here and went for HC :/ Less than ideal response, obviously.

18. Idjit's mom

No kicking yourself allowed. You are new, and it's a bit scary. Lots to learn and get used to. If it happens again, which I hope not, you will be better prepared. Honey, you did great..you noticed, you did something. Ninja is a lucky puddy.

Viktoria likes this.
  19. Pearl and Emily

Pearl and Emily Member

It always happens, and of course it's always better to be safe! I did it a few times for different reasons. It might take a couple cycles to get back to where he was but we all know those go by quickly! He's lucky to have you looking out for him!

Viktoria likes this.
  20. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

Yes!

For beginners, it's usually suggested to take the back-to-back reductions. Its safer. :) you can always bring it back up if the numbers start to rise.

Carol in Chicago and Viktoria like this.
  21. CassAndGordy(GA)

Panicking is allowed. You're new at this and safety is important. The longer you do this dance, the more you learn.

I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is to not feed too much at these times. Teaspoons. You don't want Ninja getting full when there are still carbs to have.

I am up for a little longer since my own is pulling some antics.

Pearl and Emily and Viktoria like this.
  22. Leah

Leah Member

Hey, no beating yourself up - i panicked too ;)

Viktoria likes this.
  23. Idjit's mom

Viktoria, you can edit your title and take the 911 off, since Ninja is coming up. Saves on heart palpitations for members just checking in. :)

CassAndGordy(GA) and Viktoria like this.
  24. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

Ha! Good call :) Done!

25. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

You're fabulous for keeping me calm while I sat here, half ready to take him to the ER (I might love this cat just a little...) Thank you!

Leah likes this.
  26. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

Thank you so much! I apparently need to find a HC food he'll eat, since the stuff I had on hand was not up to his picky Siamese standards... lol

I'm sorry to hear that you're PJ partying it up also :bighug:

27. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

That's a fair point. Thank you!

I thought about this tonight, I know how to properly increase the dose, but have NO idea how to lower it, lol. Is it too soon to hope for OTJ soon with so many quick reductions?

28. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

Oh, you're too kind. Thank you so much :bighug:

29. CassAndGordy(GA)

It's been known to happen. Did you do a diet change when he was diagnosed? Some get lucky ;)

But take it one day at a time.

Viktoria likes this.
  30. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

Thank you so much <3 I can't even imagine what I would do without this group. You all are some of the best humans. Thank you.

31. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

Yep, we changed him from dry food to LC wet food at the end of July, right when he was diagnosed.

32. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Viktoria and CassAndGordy(GA) like this.
  33. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

Excellent! Thank you!

34. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Your Ninja is beautiful, or should I say handsome! :) great work on him tonight. Deep breaths. :) it gets easier

Viktoria likes this.
  35. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You can always add a drop of honey or karo to his regular wet food, if he doesn't like the HC you have. Though I would off on that unless he goes under 68.

Your dosing has been a bit all over the place. The idea is to hold the same dose a week unless he earns a reduction, which he did tonight, though it could be the 1.25 unit depot given recently. The under 90 earning a reduction takes precedence over holding the dose a week.

Viktoria likes this.
  36. Idjit's mom

How's Ninja? I am about ready for bed, I don't want you to think you have been deserted tho. Let me know.

Viktoria likes this.
  37. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

Thank you so much! :cat: He’s my little, furry best friend.

38. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

That makes sense. Thank you!

39. Viktoria

Viktoria Member

Thank you so much for checking in :bighug: ninja seems to be doing much better, he was at 101 +5 so I feel pretty comfortable heading to bed myself here soon. Thank you again for your help!

Idjit's mom likes this.
  40. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Gotta jump in with my "first hypo" story!!

First time China dropped below 50, I knew I was supposed to give her HC or Karo/honey/syrup but wasn't real clear on how much. I had a bottle of syrup in every room in the house (just in case).:nailbiting:

I grabbed the nearest bottle and dumped about a cupful into her bowl and let her at it (she liked it!!) She lapped up quite a bit of it too! WHEW!!….I felt better!!

Later I found out I was supposed to give a drop or two.....not half the bottle!! OOPS :rolleyes::oops::rolleyes::oops:

Needless to say, her BG went up...and up.....and up!!:banghead:

Everybody panics the first time.....it's totally normal!!

41. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

So funny! I'm sitting here alone laughing out loud at that one! I still totally freak out every time Luci goes into the lagoon! Ninja's got some nice looking lagoon time there Viktoria! You guys have come a long way...now hang on for the ride...Those green numbers will send you into 'crazy mode'...it's what we all want...but oh my...it's like a high roller coaster ride...scary and fun and great and terrible... all at the same time. Good for Ninja!!!