2/7 calliecat I need to vent !!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by calliecat an marty, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calliecat an marty

calliecat an marty Member

Good day everyone!

I haven't posted in a while dh's has problems with his computer so he took over mine!

I have had problems with callies ps for quite some time :?: I have tried everything , TID and 11/11 dosing , which I quite a week ago. my venting is about callies vet/vets I have tried them both :evil: I feel like they don't give a **** about callie ! when I talked to then about dosing 11/11 all I got was ya you could give that a try ??? I feel they would have said that if I would have said I want to give callie a shot every hour ( yaaaaa you could try that wtf)

sorry if I am getting nasty but I have been trying to touch base with one of them about maybe switching insulin and when I talk to the girl vet yesterday about the 2 LL's I said my concern is with the shed !!! she said what is the shed ???? are you f'n kidding me !! :evil:

I stopped the 11/11 shooting because it didn't make a difference except for messing up her feeding scheg, callie has not been getting such good mid cycle numbers so she has about a 1/4 of of vial left that I started on 12/6 I also asked the vet if she thought it was getting bad she said it could be ???

she is supose to look at callies spead sheets and let me know what she thinks about switching insulins butttttttt do I even what to go there if she doesn't know what a shed is ?? I have a new bottle of prozinc waiting at the vets office I'm supose to here from her today , you want to bet me she doesn't ! switching vets is not an option these are the only one's in town !

I'm sorry this is so long but I am so pissed right now I just had to vent :sad: so any imput on callies ss would be so appreciated :YMHUG:

ohhh and Carl I seen a picture of you on my facebook from DCIN you look like you love your job that is awesome !!

callie and I hope everyone has a great day , thank you !

2. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

I understand your frustration. It's very possible you now know more about feline diabetes than either of them. I know it's sad, but too often true. It seems when folks don't have a choice in vets, the vet becomes the insulin pharmacy and "normal stuff" vet, not the diabetic "vet". At least you have a great resource here to help. :D

Hang in there. :smile: Everyone knows you are doing the best for Callie, even if she's being stubborn right now with her numbers. I'm the folks with more experience will have some ideas to share. :D

3. calliecat an marty

thank you Teresa, :YMHUG: I just don't know what to do to get her ps down , this morning she was 536 and about 1/2 hour after her shot she puked , my poor baby cat_pet_icon

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sure you have heard this many times, but vets are like gps. They get a workshop in FD and maybe a nutrition class put on by Purina. They may see a few diabetic cats a year and most of those probably have owners who don't want to mess with shots.

You might post on Health to see if there is anyone in your area who has a good FD Vet?

Re the spreadsheet, it looks like the 1.7, F1.7 gave you some good numbers. Wonder if she is one of the slow moving kitties that take several cycles to recover from the low numbers, and then need several cycles at one dose to react to it? When you get your new insulin, I would consider the 1.7 again and hold it a few cycles?

5. calliecat an marty

Hi Sue :YMHUG: when callie was first dx I called every vet with in a 50 mile radious one had worked with fd before but refused to put callie on insulin she wanted to put her on the pills , I asked her then if she had good results with the pills she said no, so she was out of the question and the other 2 its sad to say but they really didn't want to deal with callie, I was told that any other cat brought to them with fd there owners had them pts :cry:

6. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

I haven't transfered Graysons SS to google yet, but I had a few consecutive days when he was throwing up his FF also. It appears that his stomach is not too fond of the beef flavor. No problems since, as I've been consistently using the seafood and chicken varieties. Maybe it's something that simple... hopefully!

Lu-Ann

7. calliecat an marty

Hi Lu-Ann, I keep callie on the same feeding routine morning she gets ff chicken , then 5 hours later ff turkey and giblets, then pmps ff beef and 1 am ff chopped grill , this was not a scarf and barf she ate slow and didn't finish it ???? she has been on ff classic now for 8 months so I don't know what the heck is going on, could have something to do with her amps was 536??

callies + 4 = 293 I fed her 1/2 can as always and she ate 1/2 and so far so good at keeping it in !

8. owlgal

owlgal Well-Known Member

Understand your frustration. I live in a very rural area and hard to find a vet that is knowledgeable or gives a S...T. I've gone to 3vet's now and still not too thrilled with any of them. The last one is the better of the three. He at least did the bloodwork and seemed somewhat knowledgeable. So i will stick with the last one and use him as a pharmacy and vampire. I'm so glad that i have some knowledge on the subject or i would of had a dead cat with the 1st one.

Good luck at finding a vet. Just know we all have been there. It's rare to find a good one.

Lori

9. dmartini4

dmartini4 Well-Known Member

Funny cause I was kinda in line with what Sue was saying
    In looking at your SS, you havent seemed to pick a dose and stick to it
    Just a thought
    why dont you pick one dose...like 1.8 or 1.8 and hold it no matter what....
    difficult, yes but maybe that is what she needs
    some cats like the consistency....just a thought

10. calliecat an marty

when I have changed the dose it was because she went real low and bounced so i reduced a bit or because of ps , I tried to stick with 1.7 and that worked for a while but then I increased to 1.8 and at + 4 she would be at like 66 or 55 so I went back to 1.7 I don't know if she is in 200 ps's which isn't often I get scared to shoot a 1.7 or 1.8 I try to be consistant but sometimes it scares me ! :cry:

11. calliecat an marty

when I have changed the dose it was because she went real low and bounced so i reduced a bit or because of ps , I tried to stick with 1.7 and that worked for a while but then I increased to 1.8 and at + 4 she would be at like 66 or 55 so I went back to 1.7 I don't know if she is in 200 ps's which isn't often I get scared to shoot a 1.7 or 1.8 I try to be consistant but sometimes it scares me ! :cry:

12. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

Wow! What a story! Unfortunately you may need to use your vet for a pharmacy instead of anything diabetic related. The responses you received are just unacceptable but at least you have a resource outside of them. Thank goodness for FDMB.

In looking at Callie's SS I think I would be in agreement. I would probably hold the dose (yes, it can be hard). I know that Jax's #'s are becoming more consistent because I've held the dose longer than I have since his dx. I would not have believed it possible if I am not seeing it with my own eyes. When I was changing the dose frequently the #'s were more erratic. I know ECID but maybe it may work for Callie...?? My new vet actually challenged me on holding the dose and I kinda poo poo'ed it but I figured why not...? Couldn't do worse as Jax's numbers were bouncing all over the place and the preshots were ugly. I figured I'd try it and see. If it didn't work I would go back to what I was doing. The vet scheduled me 10 days later, asked me to see her then with the results...what can I say??? She was right in my case. I am glad that I tried it.

13. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

I’m sorry you are having such vet woes. I live in a rural area and left a really mean spirited vet here, and now drive 45 mins to an even more rural area, but have a great vet. You never know where they are, but some are out there. And then there seem to be a lot of clueless ones :cry:

I agree on dose holding. It seems to work for us. Dose holding and same amt of food each day too. Worth a try I think.

Better days ahead Marty. :YMHUG: Hugs and good vibes for better numbers comin’ your way.

14. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

Perhaps choosing a dose, or something that can be a fixed thing and no longer a variable, will help. I'm with Lisa and Donna on this.

I recently switched Poopy to just one food (Oh, how boring!) to remove that variable as his numbers kept going up and down. While I'd love to be a "good momma" and feed my boy a variety of tasty items (can you tell I'm a southern cook?), food does have an impact. I also set a "sliding scale" for doses. (If PS is this, shoot this, PS that, shoot that, etc.) In just a few days, I can see the difference for Poop. His numbers have leveled out, somewhat, and I'll stay at this for a few more days and maybe bump up my scale this weekend.

It might be worth a try. :D I know Callie would love to give momma bean pretty colors. :D

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I think the problem is terminology. "Shed" is Lantus ISG slang. If you asked the vet about the insulin depot you might have had a different response. Lantus and Lev are depot-type medications. This is a specific term used in pharmacology. Shed is meaningless outside of FDMB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.