? 2/9 Henry AMPS 127 - Giving PM dose early?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Henry’s Mom, Feb 9, 2023.

1. Henry’s Mom

Henry’s Mom Member

Good day all! Due to an obligation later that couldn't be moved, we won't be home tonight for when we usually give Henry's PM insulin. The latest I will be able to give the insulin is 1.5 hours prior to his usual PM time. What is the best practice in this situation? This is the first night both me and the hubby cannot be home since Henry was diagnosed, and unsure what to do, and really do not plan to be away from home again when his insulin is due. Skip? Give a lower dose? Thank you for any insight.

Rainbow Conti likes this.
  2. Rainbow Conti

Rainbow Conti Well-Known Member

So there are a couple factors to consider especially if you're pondering a skip.

First has Henry ever had ketones? If so then no I wouldn't skip. Second how much later past his normal pmps will you be home? It's possible to shoot late and slowly back him up over next couple days. Also given his numbers I also wouldn't skip if it can be avoided. I've had to skip a few times and while they do recover it can drain some of the progress you've made. Since it's tonight and there is no way to slowly adjust him down. My suggestion would be to shoot later if possible. Normally best practice In this case would have been to start adjusting him to new time a few days days ago by moving shot time by 15 mins each shot time or 30 mins once a day.

Life happens and we have to do what we have to do. So by no means is it bad regardless of what you decide. Just my two cents if it were me:cat:

Henry’s Mom and Bandit's Mom like this.
  3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

To add to what Rainbow said, if you were to shoot 1.5 hours early, when would you be back? And will he eat if you aren't home? Shooting early can act as increase and shooting later as a decrease.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  4. Henry’s Mom

Henry’s Mom Member

Hi there! No, Henry has never had ketones. We would not be home until +5 from his PMPS. Would it be too late to shoot at that time? And if we do give it later, do we give the same dose? And yes, I did not want to skip since he's only just started to have good numbers. Noted re: adjusting ahead of time in the future. We try to plan that one or both of us is home for his BG checks and insulin -- I feel awful! Thank you for your reply. :)

5. Henry’s Mom

Henry’s Mom Member

Hi Bhooma! We won't be back until +5 from his PMPS. He could or could not eat if we aren't home - we have an automatic feeder from before that we could use, if he needs to eat during that time we are out.

6. Bandit's Mom

So if you shoot 1.5 hours early, you will be gone till +6.5 or +5 after the advanced shot time?

7. Henry’s Mom

Henry’s Mom Member

Would be gone until +6.5 after the advanced shot time

8. Bandit's Mom

Shooting 5 hours late would throw off your schedule too much, so it either has to be a skip or shooting 1.5 hours early. If you shoot 1.5 hours early, you could feed a little higher carbs with the shot to be extra safe and also leave higher carbs in the autofeeder.

For future reference, for days when you have to go out and need to move shot time forward and back, you can plan for it in advance by gradually moving the shot by 30 mins per day in the days before.

9. Henry’s Mom

Henry’s Mom Member

Thank you Bhooma. I will probably go for shooting early then with higher carbs. Noted re: planning in advance strategy - thank you so much!!

Bandit's Mom likes this.