$200 to test for acromegaly!

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Nancy and Cody, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

I just spoke to the vet office and they told me they would charge me $200. to run this test, just this one test..... I think I'm speechless. I plan to bring a print out of the $44. DCPAH info sheet in to them tomorrow with his latest bg readings. Comments? other recent experiences with this?

2. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

WOW - that sounds like an awful lot. I know different vets charge different amounts for drawing the blood and then shipping it. But your vet is not running the test. They are just drawing it. I paid $100 4 years ago for Merlin but we are on the west coast . Others have paid much less than that. Are there any other vets you trust or near you that you can check with?

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The $200 sounds a little high. That is a little over for times the cost. The mailer package/shipping costs about $5. A lot of vets typically charge 2 to 3 times the costs of tests. It takes time/overhead to draw the blood and prepare it for shipment. The vet also has to receive the the results and evaluate them and come up with a treatment plan.

4. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

As far as evaluating the acro results Larry - all it takes is reading the level. It doesn't involve much more than seeing whether it's >100 or not. It's a standard answer on most printouts on all the acro results. So Nancy's vet shouldn't really be charging for that. And as far as treatment for the acro - most vets don't even know what the treament is. The treatment is giving more insulin - and if the mom/dad can afford it - giving radiotherapy which again is something Nancy's vet cannot provide. So her vet should just be charging for drawing the blood, sending it, and receiving the results.

5. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

Nancy and Cody,
    I just had the Acro and IAA testing done on my Buddy, and the total cost was $254.50

Shipping/Handling: $10.00
    Hazardous Waste Fee: $2.00
    Insulin Like Growth Factor IGF-1 $110.00 For test and the drawing of the blood.
    Insulin Aotoantibody IAA $30.00
    Vets Visit: $37.50
    Additional overnight shipping $65.00 The Vet wasn't aware of this before hand.
    Jan and Buddy

6. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Is your vet sending it to MSU? I think Antech can also run the test, so maybe that's what the price is based on?

I was (AM!) very lucky in having the vets I do. When we had Fletcher tested, I only paid for the IGF-1 & IAA tests and shipping. He didn't charge me for the blood draw. I'd try talking with your vet and seeing the breakdown of the charges. I know it's a lot of money, but it's definitely worth it if it answers some questions.

Oh.... and Larry? The interpretation of the results is done by MSU. And as Patti said, it's not like there's a treatment plan for her vet to create since all we can do is give more insulin or go for the SRT at CSU. So saying that the cost includes those things is incorrect.

7. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Wow.. I'm speechless too. My vet cut me some slack due to how much money I was spending there every week, but it cost me about $110 for draw, tests for acro and IAA both and overnight shipping from VA to Michigan. Seems someone's math might be wrong there..

8. Nancy and Cody

I agree, been trying to let the steam from my ears slow down before I go in today. I feel like I pay their mortgage every month. and i used to work there....

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Antech's web site does not list either of the two tests in question. Regarding the results 100 cutoff, the vet takes responsibility for diagnosis. If the results came back 99.9 then OK but if 100.1 not OK? I think that like diagnosing diabetes, you have to know more than the two test results for aero just like you have to know more than the BG for diabetes.

10. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

MSU is the only place in the country that tests for IGF-1. The blood needs to be spun and then shipped frozen to MSU. They run the test AND they provide the interpretation...it literally says something such as "This number is consistent with acromegaly." There is absolutely nothing that a regular vet can provide besides a kleenix, some kind words, and a promise to contact Dr. Lunn @ CSU. As has already been mentioned, the ONLY treatment right now is radiation and the only worthwhile radiation is SRS. There may be a drug trial at CSU in the future, but due to the cost of the drug, it may not be a viable long-term treatment.

I would ask your vet to reduce the cost - all they need to do is draw and spin the blood. I would also ask to take responsibility for the shipping. You can order a pre-paid, insulated shipping box from the MSU website.

Heather/Boo
    Successfully treated with SRS June 2009

11. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Jeepers! definitely you're paying for the vet's mortgage

12. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Again Larry,
    I don't mean to sound so antagonistic here but after the past 3.5 years of working with and having had an acro cat - I can't tell you the number of vets who know NOTHING about acromegaly other than they have to have a large head, paws, etc. MANY don't even know what an IGF1 even is let alone an IAA. And don't even know that 99.9% of acro cats don't have the standard enlarged paws, etc until much later in their diagnosis. Some vets don't even know that when the IGF1 is >300 that it truly means acro - they are still telling the mom/dad of the cat that it's NOT acro - which is what happened to Jennifer and Spunky.

So please excuse me for being so emotional about all this but this IS a very emotional topic for ALL of us who have dealt with this. People who haven't had an acro cat don't know the half of what alot of us have gone thru to even convince our vets to get this blood test drawn. So please don't try to convince us that a vet is charging more to evaluate the test results. THAT is absolutely ridiculous.

We can carry this on if you would like in defense of the vets but the truth is we are trying to help Nancy get this test and not have her pay more than she has too when she already is paying alot for her cat's care and may be looking at even more expenses.

Thank you for your input tho.

13. Nancy and Cody

thanks for the info, I poked around the MSU lab web site which describes ordering the insulated shipper etc. I hope I don't have to do that, but maybe when I read it again and give them a call when I'm not so tired...

I had printed the test description page out and brought it in- which was very helpful. I think she is going to help me out, but she still thinks I'm wasting my money. Just like Patti said, I got the whole big head, big cat talk. Honestly I hope she's right but, ....

and thanks for the support I needed it today

14. Wendi and Milo (GA)

Wendi and Milo (GA) Member

Your lucky you don't live here in Canada, I paid my vet $700. He told me I was wasting my money and he had never tested a cat for Acro (got the story 1 in a million scenario, after he looked up what acromegaly was). He didn't have much to say when the results came back positive, and suggested I discuss it with the "people on that website that told you to get the test" , lol

15. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

ROFLMAO - THAT is the best story yet Wendi. I hadn't heard this one!!!

My husband just about choked to death on his orange when I got home and we read this! :lol:
    Oh Wendi - the things some of us have been thru! :YMHUG:

16. Juanita & Chika (GA)

Juanita & Chika (GA) Member

I just wanted to chime in and say that my story is very close to Wendi's experience. My vet initially refused my request, I called back a second time and basically insisted. She agreed but was not happy at all. I had to send all the links to her as she hadn't tested any cat for acro. The cost for IAA was $100 and for acro $300. She was flabbergasted when it was confirmed that Chika was most definitely acro. Her attitude towards me has changed for the better since that day and she no longer rolls her eyes when I mention the internet! :roll:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.