2010 Winn Feline Foundation Grant

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Larry and Kitties, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

New Grant:

10-017: Management of feline acromegaly with a long-acting somatostatin receptor ligand
    Katharine F. Lunn, BVMS, MS, PhD, MRCVS, DACVIM; Colorado State University: $7,302
    Acromegaly is a hormonal disease of cats in which excessive growth hormone (GH) is
    produced from a tumor in the pituitary gland. Although previously considered to be rare, there is now
    evidence that acromegaly may be under-diagnosed in cats. One reason for this is that there are
    currently few effective therapies for feline acromegaly, and therefore veterinarians may not test for
    the disorder. Acromegaly is important in cats because it causes diabetes mellitus with severe insulin
    resistance. It also causes weight gain, enlarged organs, thickened bone and soft tissues, and heart and
    kidney disease. Cats with acromegaly often die or are euthanized because of heart or kidney disease,
    or the complications of uncontrollable diabetes mellitus. Acromegaly is diagnosed by measuring GH,
    and a related hormone called insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1). The latter is responsible for tissue
    and organ growth in these patients. In this study we propose to evaluate a drug that is commonly
    used in human patients with acromegaly. The drug is a long-acting form of octreotide, which acts to
    decrease GH production from the pituitary tumor. This medication has not been previously evaluated
    in cats. The goals of the study are to determine if the medication safely reduces insulin dose, GH and
    IGF-1 levels in cats when given monthly for six months. The appropriate dose of the medication will
    also be determined. If effective, this medication will provide a more accessible therapy for cats with
    acromegaly and may increase awareness and diagnosis of this serious condition.

All Winn 2010 Grants:

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/Pages/H ... _Final.pdf

2. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting Larry! Dr. Lunn is supposed to send me a little more information, which I'll post as soon as I get. Hopefully, it will have more details of the study (like, how long it will be, how much it will cost, and what it will include).

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

4. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Woohooo! I'm so glad Dr. Lunn got the grant.

Thanks for letting us know, Larry... and Phoebe thanks for the cross-post, too!

5. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Very exciting!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.