24 SEPT: Teasel on Lev Day 2: AM 202 | +3 241 | +6 139 | +9 151 | PM 173

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kris & Teasel, Sep 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yesterday: 23 Sept

Calm day yesterday and yellow overnight. Close to blue this AM. I increased his dose to a fat 1.5 u because he needs a bit more insulin and I don't see why I should wait. I can monitor today.

2. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Work that new juice Teasel!

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice start today. Good luck with the new dose.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with the increase. Come on Teasel, work that increase.

6. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

Hi! How come you switched???

MyTitan (GA) likes this.
  7. Kris & Teasel

Hi Cherish,
    I want to see if he'll do less diving on Lev. He still had fairly large swings in BG on Lantus and I was making dose changes almost a drop at a time. I want to see if that too improves on Lev. I can get Lev and Lantus without a prescription at a human pharmacy where I live in Canada so it was an easy switch to do.

Cherish Gallagher likes this.
  8. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I hope the switch works well for you! I have considered the same switch, but am so afraid to mess with the status quo, so to speak. Squallie has some really big dives, though, at the beginnings of cycles, and I'd love for that to stop!

9. Kris & Teasel

Well, if Lev can calm down Mr. Bouncy who lives with me, there's hope for other rubber kitties! ;)

ETA: Squallie's SS looks awfully good to me though. Don't mess with perfection!

10. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Happy Sunday to you , Teasel and all Kris critters :):bighug:. Horsie moving day is coming up so hope all goes smoothly :)

11. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

You wait the 6 cycles to let the lantus depot drain and the levemir depot stabilize. It may take a bit to see what Teasel's new pattern is...onset, nadir, duration. Not every cat has a big marked response the first few cycles when switching insulins.

Also going to pick on you about making sure there is at least 1 test every PM cycle as TR protocol calls for. Good to see there were a couple last night!

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  12. Kris & Teasel

Thanks, Karen. Feel free to pick on me - an old dog can always learn new tricks! ;) I'm not really doing TR though.

Doodles & Karen likes this.
  13. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

True;)

14. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Good luck with Levemir! I hope it helps to flatten Teasel out. :cat:

15. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Work it Teasel. Hope he levels out on Lev.
    paws crossed.png

16. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

TR is a more aggressive method but it requires more testing. But it's that extra testing that allows you to be more aggressive and do increases sooner. I would have held at least 4 cycles on the initial Lev dose to see what it's capable of. Since you have increased earlier and are not following TR, I would keep this dose at least 6 cycles.

17. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Good luck Kris!

18. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Be careful what you wish for. I find that when Menace dives she stays in a surf needing monitoring for ages. Caught a 34 (39 on 2nd meter) this morning at +10 of last night's cycle. She is now at 82 eight hours later. I had to chase numbers in the high 40's to high 50's for almost five hours today. I love those lower numbers but I know this means higher ones are on the horizon!

19. Kris & Teasel

Thanks, Linda! I know that these prolonged lows can be a downside of Lev. My goal - and I might not be successful - is to find a dose that keeps Teasel just a little bit on the high side of ideal. He's very good at tripping along in blues with some yellow and then dropping to lime green without warning even 4 or 5 days + into a dose. That's why I've adapted my dosing approach to suit him specifically. :)

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  20. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Menace seems to have one of her precipitous drop every 3 weeks or so with an occasional surprise at a 10 day interval. Just last night I was musing to myself that we must be due for some dramatics as I contemplated raising her dose. Decided to wait till morning to do the increase and lo and behold she delivered and earned a decrease instead! :rolleyes: pullinghair.gif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.