Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Jessica & furbaby Indie Member

Is it an irrational fear to feel the need to wake up in the middle of the night at +6 to test my kitty, Indie's BG?

I work full time and could definitely use the sleep but get so worried her BG will drop.

Please let me know!

Thanks!!

2. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Not irrational! Especially during the beginning of this FD dance. I used to check Polly compulsively through the day and night. Never had a scary low but still felt the compulsion. I mean...it could happen!!!! Well, it never did. And now I will even sleep through an alarm if I want to catch an overnight test at some point.

We start to "know they kitty." It just takes time. And sleepless nights!

Hang in there.

Marilyn

3. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

It gets easier! It never hurts to get another test in, especially late in the evening. Cats often go lower at night so tests you get then can often be helpful.

Instead of always getting a +6, it can be more revealing to mix up the time you test. One night get a +2, another night get a +5 or a +3. If you think of a jigsaw puzzle, getting a sprinkling of puzzle pieces throughout the puzzle will let you see what the picture is going to be better than getting a stripe down the middle.

Indie's ears will also begin to bleed more easily before long. It takes about 2 weeks of poking before more capillaries grow in the ear. Once that happens you'll get blood pretty much every poke.

How is the testing going?

4. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Jessica & furbaby Indie Member

Okay so I got up and tested and she was 298 at +6. Isnt that odd to be greater than the PMPS reading? Hmmm, I like your suggestion of testing at different hours. I thought because I did one curve that meant nadir was right around +6, +7.....but maybe not????

I love looking at others spreadsheets. And in looking I guess this isn't that odd. Man though, I was hoping for a pattern, haha. Guess that's not the case!

Testing is going well as long as I get that sweet spot. Outside of it I get nothing. So I feel like the poor girl pretty much gets pricked in the same spot. And I say that because she will only let me test her one ear and only in the sweet spot in that one ear. I wish there were additional spots that bled. She is such a good girl though. She doesn't even move when I do it other than flinch when the lancet device makes the pop noise. Someday I will try to free hand. That is my goal just not yet! Still getting used to all of this ;)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.