? 27/11 Mo - AMPS 299, +3 329, +8 295, PMPS 283 - What can I put on his ears that isn't neosporin?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by katy and mo (GA), Nov 26, 2020.

1. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

Thank you @Sue and Luci for your advice on yesterday's post. We increased Mo to 4.5u.

Unfortunately my partner didn't do his +6 test today so I had to do one when I got home. He's hovering around 300 today. He's also easily irritable. I'm really, really hoping he's ok. He's been lethargic lately and it's not like him. I tried to give him belly rubs, which he usually likes, but he meowed and swiped at me. I'll try touch his tummy again later but I'm worried his pancreas is sore. I may be paranoid (I'm really hoping that I am) but I'm keeping an eye on him. He still has a healthy appetite. It has been warm the last couple of days so he could also just be feeling too hot. I'm not sure.

Ugh, I hate this. I just want me pre-diabetic boy back :(

Sue and Luci likes this.
  2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

It's Friday afternoon for you, I believe. Do you have the meds on hand if needed? Is your vet open on Saturdays?

3. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

Yes, it is Friday. My vet is open tomorrow (thankfully) so if I notice him going downhill, I will take him in. He has just been sleeping a lot, which is somewhat normal for him, but he does enjoy going outside and he doesn't do that as often as he used to. I'm checking him to make sure he's not dehydrated and he seems fine. We are adding plenty of water to his food and he's eating everything so I know he's getting enough fluids. Fingers crossed he perks up soon :)

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  4. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

I forgot to mention, I only have Cerenia on hand. Hopefully I won't need it...

5. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

I just ordered a cat tree for Mo. It should arrive in the next couple of weeks but I'm so excited for him. We are going to put it up again the window so he can sit on it and bird watch. He enjoys sitting on our dining table and watching us. Hopefully he likes it and that it encourages him to climb.

6. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

So Mo swiped at me while I was testing him this evening. I don't blame him, I had to do multiple pokes because he kept moving and I couldn't see where I got him and I think his ears are sore. I'm ok, just a scratch on the hand.

Does anyone know what I could put on his ears that I can get at the shops here in NZ? I'm worried his ears are sore :(

He ate all his dinner and he was very keen to eat it all up and he got a yellow PMPS :)

7. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

I guess you are alternating ears and poking him on both edges of both ears? If you know what I mean!
    Some people use paw pads also to test, but I've never tried that.

Do you not get Neosporin in NZ or is Mo allergic to it? Apologies if that is a stupid question!

katy and mo (GA) likes this.
  8. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

We don't feel comfy testing paw pads just because he's an outside cat and don't want him to get infected or anything.

Neosporin is a North American only product and I can't get it in NZ unless I want to spend $50...:(

9. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

So strange. I am in India and we get it here pretty cheap. Can't think of anybody else in the NZ who can help. Let me tag a few folks in Australia and see if they can help.

@Bron and Sheba (GA)
    @Vyktors Mum
    @Nelson and Taz

10. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

Thank you :)

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I can’t get Neosporin in Canada either, but we have something called Polysporin which is similar. But it used lidocaine instead of neomycin for pain relief. Maybe take a look at what first aid gels you can buy, with pain relief. After the poke, try putting a cool compr SS on his ears. Might be more tips here: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/testing-and-shooting-tips.85113/

12. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Good luck with the increase, Katy.:bighug: You're doing a great job. Keep it up. It's hard when kitty is stuck in high numbers. This journey is not an easy one.
    And let us know how Mo is doing, if you needed to take him to the vet or if he seems better. Butters swats me when I touch the sides of her belly sometimes. I've figured out it is related to her pancreatitis. When she has pain meds on board, she lets me touch her sides. I'm not saying that's what it is for Mo, but it seems like there is discomfort for some reason.

I hope Mo enjoys his new tree. What a lucky boy!:cat:

13. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Here in spain we get neither, I got an ointment that just had the lidocaine.
    I didn't use it that often, and I tested a lot.
    I found that applying a cold compress and gentle pressure minimized the bruising, and that worked well.
    Kitties with black ears make it real difficult to see the blood and the sweet spot.

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If you want something that will help the blood bead up, you can use a tiny bit of petroleum jelly -- Vasoline here in the US.

If you end up taking Mo to the vet, please have the vet test for pancreatitis. A cat that's lethargic and takes a swipe when you give a belly rub may be experiencing pain. Have you been testing for ketones? Ketones can make a kitty lethargic, as well.

15. Scdal

Scdal Member

I put 3% hydrogen peroxide on Phoenix's ears after every test. I pour a small amount onto a paper towel and just wipe his ears. It doesn't sting and just feels like water to him but will kill any germs on his ear. I tell Phoenix "wipe, wipe " when I approach him so he doesn't think I am about to stick his ear again. He quickly learned the word. It only takes seconds for me to wipe his ears.
    After, I wipe his ear, I wipe off his Relion BG tester and ear pricker with the same paper towel. This disinfects them as well. Phoenix has never had a sore ear or infection even though on some days I have had to test over 8 times.

16. Scdal

Scdal Member

My cat has dark ears. Last month, someone suggested using a small headlamp spotlight. I can now see even the smallest drop of blood clearly. The elastic strap fits across your forehead and leaves both your hands free. They are great in a dark room.
    They are very inexpensive and range from $10 - $15 here in the states.

17. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

Thank you all so much for the tips! His ears seem better today, but I will look into finding something here in NZ that will work for him :)

18. Red & Rover (GA)

19. Red & Rover (GA)