? 3/12 Bear - Daylight savings q

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Meredith Bear’s Mom, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Meredith Bear’s Mom

Meredith Bear’s Mom Member

Hi everyone,

omg, completely forgot about daylight savings and now that might affect shot time. I didn’t do any planning this week for it like the post on here suggested. Shot time is usually 7:30AM. What time should I shoot at? TYIA!

2. Meredith Bear’s Mom

3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hope much time till his shot is due? Shooting at your usual time is like shooting at +11 (1 hour early) and could act as an increase. If he is high enough or if you can monitor you can just go ahead and do that.

The other option is that you shoot the 30 mins late today and 30 mins late tomorrow and you will be back at your usual time by Tuesday. That's provided your schedule can accommodate that delay.

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Meredith Bear’s Mom likes this.
  5. cecile & bella

cecile & bella Well-Known Member

I forgot as well. I am going to get back to 7:30 (my usual shot time) slowly over a few days. Today I shot at 8:15, tomorrow I will do 8, then 7:45 and 7:30. My cat does not like big changes but you can do 30 minutes a day if your cat is fine with that, too.

6. Meredith Bear’s Mom

7. Meredith Bear’s Mom

Thank you! He seems to be okay with 30 minutes so we just went with that. Hope your kitty does okay :)

cecile & bella likes this.
  8. Meredith Bear’s Mom

I did 30 min. Thank you!

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Conflicting vet advice happens a lot. Most of us find the opposite but every cat is different. I fed 3-4 mini meals before nadir but Max was always a grazer and it helped with his pancreatitis. It did also level him out. Let’s see what Bear thinks.

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

More smaller meals also eases any fast drops, and resulting bounces. It's the same thing that's suggested for human diabetics. For the older style hard and fast insulins, you did want a lot of food on board early on. Not so much for the slower and gentler insulins. Unfortunately, many vets don't have as much experience with the newer insulins and think the old feeding guidelines are still appropriate.

For moving shot times, I found it easier to just move ahead 15 minutes per shot cycle.

The link to your last post here: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/3-8-bear-amps-182-119-2-75-74-4-75-74-6.275048/

11. Meredith Bear’s Mom

Bear seems to think he’s starving to death still. Lol. We will give it a shot - she will re-evaluate at our visit next week.

12. Meredith Bear’s Mom

Thank you Wendy! That makes total sense about smaller meals and was what I was doing before too. Funny I’ve had multiple vets suggest the 2x a day big meal. So contradictory.

Melinda and Kitkat likes this.
  13. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

My vet told be that in the beginning when I found out Tyler was diabetic and he was starving . When I joined this group I listened to the members here and started to feed Tyler at least 2-3 mini meals before nadir .

14. Meredith Bear’s Mom

Do you only do those 2-3 or do you do more? I was doing every 2 or 2-3 hours, so maybe it was just too much. Also trying to help him put on weight, which he has been, thank God! He was so so skinny when we first got him.

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Meredith I'm happy to see all those blues lately.
    I would give Tyler small snacks @+2, , +4 and maybe +5
    Snacks can be given up to three times every cycle and best during the first half of the cycles.
    . A snack is a teaspoon or two of low carb food. Snacks can be given up to three times every cycle and best during the first half of the cycles.
    If Tyler was haunting me for food I sometimes gave him a small snack @+8 or @+9

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  16. Meredith Bear’s Mom

This is really helpful. Thank you!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  17. Meredith Bear’s Mom

When I would give snacks I would give like 1/4 of a cup of LC. So probably way too much.

18. Diane Tyler's Mom

They say to give 2 teaspoon fulls of lc , add a smidge more if you want to

19. Meredith Bear’s Mom

Oh yeah, he was going ham on his food portions then lol.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  20. Diane Tyler's Mom

Wow what a nice string of greens today 3-13 I didn't see that coming :cat:

21. Meredith Bear’s Mom

Yes! Sadly I gave him a furshot last night so probably messed it up for today :(

22. Diane Tyler's Mom

Things happen sorry about the fur shot, hopefully Bear will get back in track ,let's go cutie pie :cat:

23. Meredith Bear’s Mom

Thanks for your encouragement :)

24. Diane Tyler's Mom

Nice 132 +7.5 already :cat: