? 3/19 PMPS- 408 +3- 39 Dosing is a mess need help

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by ASHFUR, Mar 13, 2021.

1. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

Last night I returned to original dose after my husband accidentally reduced ashfurs dose for 2 doses and he dipped way below 90.
    I have to go to work right now. His BG is high probably from all the treats and syrup given to bring him up last night. I have no idea what I am supposed to do now. Obviously I reduce it again. Back to the 1.75 my husband accidentally gave him? Makes no sense why all the sudden I would get these results. I feel like I just want to start giving him Dry food again because his BG was predictable. With the wet food only diet I have NO clue what will happen on a day to day basis WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!?!?

I am at my wits end.
    Can I skip todays dose or is that going to make things worse? I wont be home to moniter him, Ill be at work all day.

Previous Questions:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/posts/2759022/
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/posts/2756762/
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/posts/2752504/
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/posts/2749209/
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/posts/2748584/

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Skip today’s dose. It looks like he will bounce and stay high but without being able to monitor it’s the safest thing to do. Just feed lc.

3. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

My plan is to just keep with the low carb but start from a lower dose. Im just going to start over at 1.5 wait a week and go from there. Is that a resonable plan? All this bouncing around Im sure is the problem with dosing.

Also I have a ketone blood meter. If I check for ketones today. Do you happen to know what number is dangerous for DKA? For blood meters? I have urine strips too but havent been able to get a urine sample from him. Easier to get blood.

4. tiffmaxee

Bouncing occurs from dropping into lower numbers than the cat is used to or big drops in the bg. The more time spent in healthier bg, the less many bounce. I’d try 1.75 because the low numbers were from the higher 2.0 and 2.5 depot but if you are more comfortable with 1.5 that’s fine. Once a depot is built it can effect 4-6 cycles.

5. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

While your here.....He was acting like he felt amazing last night when his BG was reading those low numbers. IVE NEVER seen him play so agressively. He was running like crazy. He didnt act sick at all. I still gave him sugar because I am so new and I was scared. How much sugar is needed? Internet says a whole tablespoon and that sounds like ALOT. Would dry food do the trick just fine? I would rather not have to give him straight maple syrup if it could have been avoided.

6. tiffmaxee

The 39 was the only really low test you saw. With a human meter under 50 is when hc and or a little honey or karo is needed. How much depends on how carb sensitive a cat is. Max rarely got karo and if he did maybe 1/4 teaspoon or less. I used hc food. Dry really isn’t a good idea except in a pinch. It takes longer to work and stays with them too long. We have seen many cats that when dry is stopped and they are fed a lc diet they become diet controlled quickly and no longer need insulin. Even the low carb Young Again and Dr. Elsey’s when stopped seem to make a dramatic difference. With SLGS the reduction number is under 90. You want to keep them between 90-120 as much as possible but 50-90 is normal cat bg for many cats that aren’t diabetic.

7. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

Ok I was under the impression under 60 was a emergency. As soon as I took away his dry food his number decreased drastically and I havent been able to get a consistent dose yet. Between the mistakes and errors the decreases the increases and now throw in the random sugar last night....I feel like having a melt down.

So if I skip todays dose and tonight I dose him at 1.75 am I likely to see another dip because of the skipped dose from today?

8. tiffmaxee

If anything the bg should go up from a skipped shot. Post your PMPS tonight and ask for dosing advice. Then it can be decided what to shoot. Since you skipped this morning put NS in the dose box. Get a test 3-4 hours after eating. That will be helpful for tonight.

9. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

It would be a good idea to read some of the Sticky Yellow notes to understand better how Lantus insulin works. The more you know the easier it will be to help your Kitty. :)

Insulin is a very powerful drug. Lantus is a Depot insulin. It works gradually. You need to hold the dose for several days to see how his body will respond. If he drops too low again is the only time you would lower the dose.
    He's not likely to drop from skipping a dose.

( Eliminating all dry food is best. ) https://www.catwatchnewsletter.com/health/disease/study-finds-higher-risk-of-diabetes-in-dry-food/

Study Finds Higher Risk of Diabetes in Dry Food

Take a few deep breaths & know that it WILL get easier!:)

Best of Luck!

[​IMG]

Sue and Luci likes this.
  10. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

I just ran home and checked his BG is "HI" and my husband is going to stay home today. Is it safe to dose him? He just ate and right now is his normal shoot time? Or safer to skip??

11. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

I have read that sticky I cant say how many times. Ive read everything over and over. I still feel like I know nothing. Im sorry. I swear Im doing my best.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  12. tiffmaxee

Yes you can dose him now since it’s the normal time. I’d do 1.75.

13. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

14. tiffmaxee

Do t worry. There’s a huge learning curve. We will help you. :bighug:

15. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

I know how you feel! When I started I copied the sticky notes & kept a folder so I could refer to it over & over. ( I'm 74 & old fashioned !:rolleyes: )
    You're still very new . It takes a lot of patience & time. Eventually you'll see,it will get easier!

Hang in there :bighug:

upload_2021-3-13_12-44-36.jpeg

Sue and Luci likes this.