3/2/21 Chicamonkey update IAA / Igf1 positive

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Suzi and Chicamonkey, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Suzi and Chicamonkey

Suzi and Chicamonkey Member

Edit: I made a list of questions for my telemed call with the vet tomorrow and posted it in the acro forum. Please add anything you think I may have missed.

Well, gang, I had my suspicions from the beginning... but received confirmation this afternoon that Monkey is IAA and acro.
    I need some time to read everything and ask intelligent questions at our telehealth call Friday afternoon.
    Suggestions for what to ask the vet are welcome!
    I have been extremely busy lately with work and personal issues and have been writing monkeys numbers down.... bear with me... I will get my ss up to date again over the weekend.

Are there financial resources available...
    I think a friend mentioned DCIN?
    They have helped me ... so I’ll reach out to them regarding this, too....

thsnk you all
    @Wendy&Neko @Sue and Luci @Gill & George

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Sue and Luci likes this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

@Chris & China (GA) Chris works for DCIN.
    I’m so sorry about the diagnosis but at least you now know why she’s not regulating on lower amounts of insulin. Wendy will be a wonderful source for you. :bighug:

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

(((Suzi))) I am so sorry to hear the news about your sweet girl. :bighug::bighug::bighug: Do you have the IGF-1 and IAA numbers? So far she's a pretty low dose kitty for those conditions. And Chicamonkey doesn't know any different, she's just the same sweet girl as ever. Give her some scritches from me. But you now have an explanation for what is happening with her numbers and can plan what you want to do next.

If funds are tight and you want to treat, you should take a look at cabergoline. It's a daily medication that seems to help a lot of acros and isn't too bad a monthly cost. We've even had 3 cats go OTJ on it. Almost all the others have had some dose reduction, and most important, reduction in symptoms. Most of the other treatments are considerably more spendy. I was "lucky" in that radiation therapy was about half it's current cost when Neko was diagnosed. Also know that the majority of people treat these cats just with the insulin they need, and manage any side effects that can occur.

You probably have a million questions. I did at this point. Fire away. With known diagnosis, we can come up with a dosing plan too.

4. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hugs Suzi and Chicamonkey :bighug::bighug::bighug: You'll get lots of advice here and you'll figure out what works for you all. Thinking of you :bighug:

5. Suzi and Chicamonkey

6. Suzi and Chicamonkey

Good morning Wendy
    Here are her results!
    I’m working on a list of questions to go over with the new vet ... any input would be GREATLY appreciated
    upload_2021-3-3_4-39-22.jpeg

7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Hi Suzi! So good to see your post and so unfortunate to hear the diagnosis for Chicamonkey - but the good news is there she doesn't know - and she's the same sweet girl - but just needs a little more help from the experts who've been through it already!

I'm going to tag Chris for you - she can help you with information on DCIN - @Chris & China (GA) - can you work with Suzi?

Looking forward to seeing your SS soon - I so understand about work and life getting in the way! I'm already on FaceTime with my boss! Started 45 minutes ago!

Sending hugs! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

((((Suzi))))
    I am sorry to hear the diagnosis, to echo Wendy and Sue, Monkey is still the same cat she was yesterday, and going by your notes on the SS she's been happy and hungry, try to keep that in mind.
    And as Wendy has pointed out there is more than one way to proceed with Monkey's care/treatment.

9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sorry for the dual diagnosis. The IAA is self limiting. Once you wrap your head around it, you will have many questions. You will come up with a plan of action.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  10. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Hi Suzi! I just wanted to welcome you to the IAA/acro family. Lots of folks on here are amazing resources so you’re in good hands...they’ve helped me immensely trying to figure out plans and next steps. I had a bazillion questions and still do! My Howie is happy to have another special kittie in the group!

11. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Sorry for to hear about the diagnosis but Monkey is lucky to have you taking care of her. You're such an awesome advocate for her.
    :bighug:

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry for the late response (DH and I took a ski day). The IAA 80 is pretty high, and I can say I'm not really surprised looking at her spreadsheet. As Paula said, it is something that can go away in time, took about 9 months for Neko. In the mean time, it does mean you'll want to be a bit more aggressive about dosing to try to get her to the point where she's seeing some green numbers. Otherwise you could end up on even higher doses. The size of the IGF-1 number doesn't really correspond to anything, other than to say she's positive.

I'd ask the vet if they've ever dealt with a cat with these conditions. If yes, do they have thoughts on treatment. If not, it's likely that they have, but just don't know they have. It's a common enough condition. Neko's acupuncture vet, and my current general practice vet did a lot of reading about acromegaly before our first appointment (one reason I like her :). That plus she's a self admitted crazy cat lady.) Said she'd never seen a kitty with acro. After we talked, she realized one of the neighbourhood strays she'd adopted had probably had it. Neko's general practice vet also said she'd never seen it, then realized one of the hard to treat diabetics in her clinic probably had it. Feel pretty chuffed I've educated a couple vets on it. I was also pretty happy that they let me run the show on treatment, with help from here. The vets helped me manage symptoms/side effects of acromegaly.

Sue and Luci and Gill & George like this.