3/2 Jasmine. PMPS~452 • +2~459

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by flyingduster, Mar 1, 2019.

1. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

previous day

About to do her AMPS so just setting up a thread for today.

2. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

AMPS is 144. I feel like we need to shoot as skipping is NOT gonna help things. But do I shoot the half unit or less?

I am home all day today and have a fresh pottle of strips so can monitor all day long.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Which dosing method are you using? She is on her way up. With recent DKA and you able to monitor, I would go full dose and get a +1 to start.

Gill & George and flyingduster like this.
  4. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

I don’t know what exactly I’m following anymore. We thought SLGS might be more practical for life, but with recent DKA we also are sorta fine with doing TR.

I’m thinking of doing a full dose and monitoring, just wanting other input too!

5. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

My vet agreed to so she’s had her full shot (0.5iu) and I will just monitor her closely today to see how she goes.

6. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

As this is the lowest you've shot before
    Start by grabbing a +1 and +2

flyingduster likes this.
  7. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Yep, +1 is a touch lower but within the realms of the same, given natural variance. Will see what the trend is with another test in another hour.

8. Gill & George

Do you think you could encourage her to eat a little low carb food now, a couple of teaspoons?

We would expect the +1 to be higher, when it's about the same it usually means an active cycle, I'm hoping that if I can get her to eat a little now that we can encourage her to drop more slowly.

9. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

She was eating when I tested her. We will see how the day goes.

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Nice and flat so far. :cool:

11. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

She’s eating again now at +2, which is a wee bit down again on the +1, but not hugely.

12. Gill & George

Nice and easy, clever girl she's feeding her curve:)

13. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Ate again at +3 so checked her again then and a nice slow gradual drop so far. Fingers crossed she continues nicely like this.

Gill & George likes this.
  14. Gill & George

:cool::cool::cool:
    Bedtime here, hope she keeps it steady.

flyingduster likes this.
  15. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

My +4 was late due to lunch and kids, so it was done at +4.5 instead. It was a bigger drop but a longer time too, but either way, we are now in to dark greens. Let’s see how she goes over the next wee while!!

I give high carb food if she gets down to 50, right? Do I try slowing her with medium carbs before then?

16. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

So it’s now +5 (only a half hour after the last one) and it’s almost identical but sliiiiightly higher and in the blue again. Haha! I have removed the the 99 at +4.5 from the title because it’s out of sync anyway. It’s still on my spreadsheet.

17. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Jazz is having a lovely cycle. What a difference the Lantus is making.
    Yes you give h c food if she drops under 50 (2.8) ... that is if you are following TR. I see you have removed the SLGS from your signature. Don’t give medium carb foods at this stage. She’s not dropping fast and all that would do is send her up higher. I’d just feed her the usual food she is due. It will also show you how low this dose is taking her...... down to dark green so far and the depot isn’t even full yet.

Gill & George and flyingduster like this.
  18. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

I removed the SLGS cos I genuinely don’t know what protocol I’m following anymore and was getting confused so just removed it. I THINK we are more following TR than SLGS?

But anyway, it seems she might even be on the rise again already, having just tipped in to the dark green briefly and nicely.

19. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You can be very happy with that cycle so early in the journey. Many cats take a lot longer to start responding to insulin.
    Re the protocol. If you think you can test often and if necessary test at night, then the TR will get her into normal numbers quicker which is good as far as the DKA goes and better for her generally. You certainly have grasped the idea of when to test well. It can get very tiring especially if you have to get up at night often so you will just have to see what you can manage with your busy family life and adjust it accordingly.

flyingduster likes this.
  20. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

I can test often *most of the time*, but I do work 1-2 days a week where I can’t easily pop home to test her. But for the most part I am home and can test pretty frequently as I don’t work full time like many do.

Her curve is perfectly mirroring itself right now. Haha!!! And a clear negative for ketones just now as well.

I’m interested to see what she does tonight. With today being a whole lot smoother than anything she’s ever had at this low level. Is she still gonna try bounce or is she gonna go even lower?? I’m curious where this path is going, and eager to follow along. I love the progress she is having anyway.

21. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Great no ketones.
    I think you could leave off the hourly testing now as she looks like she is on the way back up. Maybe get a test in a couple hours just to see where she’s going.
    Hopefully she won’t bounce as she didn’t drop too low or fast and she didn’t start off too high. Her body has to get used to normal Numbers again so we will have to wait and see what she decides to do.

flyingduster likes this.
  22. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Nice cycle.

flyingduster likes this.
  23. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

She’s rising up quite quickly, so we will see what tonight brings. She ate at +10 and I’ve lifted her food now ahead of her PMPS at 8pm.

24. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Looks like she’s going to bounce again. Fortunately she doesn’t bounce for long.

25. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Haha, yeeeeah, that’s a sharp rise going on now! *sigh*

Am I right that we want her steady at the mid-lower numbers as much as we can so it normalises it more rather than being seen as a big drop, and hopefully will help the bouncing reaction? So today and even last night has been good. That was quite a long stretch of blues from last night and through most of today! Compared to the wild swings she was doing before anyway.

26. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

She was desperate for food so when I did her +11 test I just let her have a wee mouthful of her pate as her reward. I don’t tend to worry much about treat rewards for her as attention is often all she needs to be happy, but she was grumpy at me refusing her food.

And an hour after that mouthful of food, at her PMPS, she is a bit lower (especially compared to the steep rise she was doing prior). It’s little signs like this that make me hope that with the right support, she might be able to go in to remission. If we can just help her body settle at a lower level more!

So anyway, PMPS of 452, let’s see what her +2 is gonna be for tonight! I just know she’s gonna drop and need monitoring through the night again, but ah well. We will get there eventually.

27. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bouncing is pretty normal for cats when they begin their DF journey. Some cats once bounce for a short time, some for a long time and some bounce all the way to remission, so don't be worried about the bouncing. There is nothing you can do about it once it has started. Jazz is already having good stretches in lower numbers so that will help with reducing the bouncing. She doesn't look like she bounces for long so that is a real plus. Some cats bounce for 6 cycles.
    Yes, get a +2 to see what she is thinking of doing. You might get a good sleep tonight.

flyingduster likes this.
  28. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Her +2 is level basically. That means she’s likely to have a steady night right? When should I test her again to be sure?

29. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Id get another test around +7 or +8 just to check she still bouncing and not on the way down. If she goes on form she will come down in the am cycle. But being a cat we never know:rolleyes:

flyingduster likes this.
  30. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Sweet! Alarm is set for 3am to check her around then. I’d expect to see a similar (red/pink) number right? But if she’s dropped a lot more than that I’ll need to do another check to see which way she’s going, is that right?

Be back at 3am! Haha.

31. Gill & George

20hrs in blue green is enough to trigger a bounce, when her body isn't used to it.
    And yes the longer she spends in those numbers the more her body will get used to it. George wasn't as bouncy as Jazz, but he gradually spent longer in good numbers and cleared the bounces quicker and they were less dramatic, then eventually they disappeared altogether as he got regulated.

Another important difference with TR is the rate of remission is higher with folk following TR, basically the sooner you can get your cat regulated and spending most of his/her time in normal numbers the higher the chance of remission, TR allows you with it's more frequent dose adjustments to achieve regulation quickly and safely (if you can monitor) and as a result you find better remission rates.

When you go back to working 2 days, how many hours are you away? are they consecutive days usually?
    At the moment she seems unpredictable, but as you both settle down into lantus, you'll be able to predict patterns and take appropriate action when you have to leave to go and work.

this link is full of useful tips for folk in full time work and managing their fd cat on TR
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ion-possible-with-a-full-time-job-yes.129378/

flyingduster likes this.