3/2 Miles AMPS 360 +2 353 PMPS 416 +3 284

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chris and Miles, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Continuing from https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/3-1-miles-amps-394-2-401-6-387-9-407-pmps-412.243932/

My next objective has to be going to the pharmacy (although I think I'll call to see any info they can give on the phone) to find out if they carry Lantus and where their supplies are. My vet "helpfully" provided me with one of those pen devices measured in whole units only.

They wanted me to bring Miles in for a full curve after a week but honestly I'm not sure I see the point. *sigh*

2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Morning, Chris!

A lot of us use pens with a syringe. So I insert a syringe (w/ half unit markings) into the bottom of the pen (the spongy part) and draw out the insulin I need. Pens will last down to the last drop. Good info on Insulin Handling in the yellow sticky at the top of the board - link here.

This is of course up to you - a lot of us follow one of the dosing methods here and use our vet's knowledge for everything else.

Hope you have a wonderful day!

3. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Thanks! Do you use a pen because it is the most convenient method of purchasing the insulin?

4. JaxBenji

I'm in the US and order pens from Mark's Marine Pharmacy in Canada :) Pens are generally the most economical as they can be used to the last drop when stored in the refrigerator (I believe vials lose potency after 6ish months even when stored in the refrigerator). Since you are in Canada, it's my understanding you don't need an Rx for Lantus like we do in the US so you can probably shop around at different pharmacies? Perhaps @Butters & Lyla can stop by and share how she buys her insulin?

PS - If you hit "Reply" or tag the person (use the @ symbol and start typing their screenname) then that person will get a notification you responded. You can also highlight part of someone else's text and a Reply option shows up for just that highlighted portion (this is easiest on a computer but can work on phone/tablet too).

Chris and Miles likes this.
  5. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Correct: You do not require a prescription for insulin. So don't feel you have to buy it from your vet, either, going forward.

It will be less expensive in the long run to buy a multipack of pens (5 pens - 3ml each) rather than one vial of Lantus, which is huge (10ml) and unless Miles is a high-dose cat you will end up wasting some of it. Store Lantus in the fridge, do not shake it, and also once you have pulled insulin into the syringe, do not express any extra back into the vial. Doing that can make it lose efficacy even faster.
    FYI: There are 100 units of Lantus /ml.

Costco has generally been the least expensive place to get pens from, but of course requires a membership. You may want to shop around as prices can vary wildly.
    I buy a lot of supplies (syringes, lancets etc) from https://diabetesexpress.ca/ Best prices that I've found. They also sell Lantus, as do other Canadian websites. So compare prices online and in stores as well.

Chris and Miles and JaxBenji like this.
  6. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

I'm really traveling not very far so - well there are a few pharmacies in the area, but I would probably start by just going to Shoppers Drug Mart. I have been buying supplies from Diabetes Express but I do wonder about whether someplace local would be cheaper because of not paying shipping - but possibly not depending on the price charged.

I tried to do that thing with the pen where you gently press on the end (but not enough to trigger) while it is set to +2 in order to make sure everything is working. I think I have to (?) stop that as Miles' number right now is definitely a step lower than normal. Not such that I think I should be too concerned but - I need to get syringes and put him on a stable 1.25u. I think I'm going to try Start Low Go Slow although I have started at 1u rather than 0.5. It is long past time that I advanced past 1u.

7. JaxBenji

I've never used the pen to inject but you do need to prime it - sounds like you're kind of doing it? Per the instruction (link here), I think you need to push out some insulin? And yes I'd definitely get some syringes as soon as you can so you don't have to mess with the priming :)

You may want to check the fine dosing guide if you haven't already to see how to measure a 0.25 unit (well, 1.25u but you'll get the idea...plunger will need to be halfway between 1.5 and 1.0). If you ever have dosing questions, use your title to ask and pick the ? from the drop-down; I don't personally give dosing advice but the more experienced folks do.

Hope you all have a good night!