? 3/21/2021 Kierra - carbs in homemade bone broth

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Diane and Kierra, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Diane and Kierra

Diane and Kierra Member

I make homemade bone broth (using beef or chicken bones) to add to Kierra's food for added fluids and nutrition but I don't know how much carbs that is adding. I add a carrot, couple stalks of celery and some mushrooms while it is cooking but those get strained out along with the bones, meat, and skin (plus after cooling I remove the congealed fat at the top). I found a site that says bone broth is 4% carbs. Does anyone know how accurate that is? If it is less than 10%, is it fine to add a few tablespoons to her food?

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/Keto-Bone-Broth

From this site, carbs are 20% (1.69/8.44)
    https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/551729/nutrients

edit: I guess it matters how it is made? I use just enough water to cover the bones and simmer for 24 (chicken) or 48 (beef) hours in a crockpot. After it is made, I dilute it in half.

edit: maybe if I don't include veggies there would be no carbs at all?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Reason for edit: more info
  2. Mel and Cargo

Mel and Cargo Member

Following. :bookworm:

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It sounds like pure protein to me.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Mel and Cargo likes this.
  5. Diane and Kierra

Diane and Kierra Member

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Cooking the bones in broth can decompose the bones into the broth. Bones are higher in phosphorus. I compare the raw meat I fed Neko. The ones with ground bone are higher in phosphorus than the ones without. I've seen people have their cats phosphorus numbers go down when they cut the bone broth out of their diet. Maybe it depends how long you cook the broth and how much the bones are broken down.