3/23 Cleo AMPS 364 PMPS 295

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Angela & Cleo, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/3-22-cleo-amps-368.261012/

Morning!
    Now I am a little . Last night I mistakenly left my dinner plate in the sink and did not wash it right away - got distracted. At PM +2 I heard quite a ruckus in the kitchen. It was Cleo in the sink licking my dinner plate clean. I had pasta alfredo with extra parmesean cheese. :banghead:
    I'm confused because she's flat from pmps 3/22 to amps 3/23 despite contraband. I at least expected an increase in BG? ( @FrostD has taught me its not necessarily the BG #s but the trends which are more important).
    If she didnt have contraband, how low would she have went?
    Now I am rethinking the food change to a day where I can be home all day and night to monitor.
    Just when I think I've learned the steps to her sugar dance, she changes music!! We're doing the fox trot then a salsa then a tarantella and in no particular order.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  2. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Same here with Ol' Spike.

Angela & Cleo likes this.
  3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

That's funny :joyful: quite a few cats on here like to steal anything they can get, chocolate cake, whole chickens.

The easiest way to explain this is that from what I've seen, most cats have a sort of capped high number. So despite carbs or doses that aren't enough yet, they always kind of top out around the same number/range. Couldn't tell you why, probably some combination of pancreas and other biological stuff.

That's not to say she won't throw an occasional red number though. And some cats are just aaallll over the place.

Angela & Cleo and Lee Renfro like this.
  4. Angela & Cleo

Thanks Melissa!!
    She's always been a food thief which is why since her dx we've cleaned up the kitchen after every meal and I was punishing myself for getting distracted. Geez its like having a toddler. Can't turn your back for a second HA.
    :confused: expected her BG to be back in the blacks this morning. I AM NOT COMPLAINING! Your explanation helps. Guessing higher end of 300s might be her "new normal" and therefore I have to learn her new sugar dance.
    The last time she had cheese (dropped some shredded Monterey Pepper Jack and Cheddar on the floor) she had diarrhea for about 2-3 days. We will see if her tummy tolerates parmesan.

PS Thank you too @Lee Renfro for keeping tabs. It makes me feel really good! Please know I'm praying for Spike when I light my help my kitty candle. He's adorable!

FrostD and Lee Renfro like this.
  5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Don't let today's numbers scare you. I suspect she saw blue last night and bounced - that quick rise up to 381 is pretty good clue, plus the higher than usual AMPS (though technically within meter variance). Tonight was interesting as well, quick bump up to 300. It's also the reduction talking, but hopefully you start to see numbers come down over the weekend. Not sure what your schedule is, but if her tummy is tolerating it ok, you can change the food ratio by 1/4 every 3 days or so. Just obviously be vigilant, because it can sort of cascade a bit - i.e. the carbs from the first change start to wear off, then the carbs from the next start to wear off faster because youre giving less of it, etc

I have some ideas about meal timing, but I'll reserve that til food change is done, one thing at a time lol just don't let me forget!

6. Angela & Cleo

Thank you so much! The numbers don't really frighten me as much anymore unless the change is 150 or more (plus or minus) within 2-3 hours with no explanation. She's a food thief and stole some stuffing from stuffed peppers the other night so I kinda expected the 400+ amps on 3/25.
    Since we just started food transition and lowered the dose and her extra curricular scavenger activities- she loves her carbs lol- testing right now is just to see if onset and nadir shift. That 70pt jump to 300 last night was interesting and also allowed me to go to sleep without any further testing lol. My primary goal is just getting her into lower numbers slowly and safely and under the renal threshold for a majority of each cycle.
    She seems to be tolerating the food ok. No stomach issues so far and solid bowel movements.
    Still doing food research. I cant help myself. I'm a paralegal by trade and am constantly researching. DH and I were actually talking about transitioning to raw BUT thats too many changes for her all at once. We tabled the discussion until she has hit a trend/average BG cycle of yellows and blues. After that we will talk about it again. SLOW AND STEADY. I'm wearing my patience pants.
    Thanks again for checking on us. It means the world to me and Cleo!

FrostD likes this.
  7. Angela & Cleo

@FrostD
    Hey Melissa
    Question about food transition. I have Ziwi Chicken, Venison and Mackarel. Ive started the transition with the chicken flavor bc its a similar protein profile to the savory DM. When Can I start introducing the venison or mackarel flavors...one week two weeks? Sorry if this is too soon to ask. I like to be prepared lol.

8. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

That's really up to you. If they're all similar in carbs, doesn't matter as far as BG goes. Only issue might be tummy. But for example, abrupt food changes have never really bothered my cat. Others ended up with diarrhea for days. I'd say if she's tolerating it well, feel free to mix in different stuff