3/24 Mouzer: AMPS 176/+2 161/+4 134/+6 138/+9 116/PMPS 151/+2 138/+4 142/+6 114

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cherryl & Mouzer, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Cherryl & Mouzer

Cherryl & Mouzer Well-Known Member

I did the shot!!! Go Me!! And Now, Go Mouzer!
    amps + 2 is to come, unless someone tells me I should do +1.

3/23 Mouzer: AMPS 210/+2 209/+5 131/+7 172/PMPS 216/+2 194/+4 182/+8 152

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  2. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Great job shooting. A +2 sounds good!

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Good job shooting. He seems fairly flat from last night, so I think you are okay to wait until +2 to test.

Cherryl & Mouzer likes this.
  4. Cherryl & Mouzer

Thank You to both of you for pat on back haha And for making it clear a +2 will be fine!
    I will be back!!!!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  5. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Looks like you moved up to 7:20am today. You can move it to 6:50am tomorrow and 6:20am the day after.
    And yes, you can shoot at whatever time you want. Just remember, you need to take off the food, 2 hours before the shot.

6. Cherryl & Mouzer

Thank You!

And Mouzer is amps +2 161 And I will get a +4.
    I do not know if you will be here but if I do not get back to post the +4, it means all is ok and I will be back a little later.
    If all is not ok, I will stop everything and get back here pronto!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  7. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

Mouzer is starting off on a GREAT run here, Cherryl!

8. Cherryl & Mouzer

I am a bit excited! I did that shot when normally I would have been here hollering STALLING ahahahaahaa
    And starting out with that blue, to me means maybe we can keep him low ... although I do understand the bounce and disappointment over it but ok today is a good day start!

Margaret (and Pearl) likes this.
  9. Cherryl & Mouzer

amps +4 is 134 ...
    I am going to get a +6 ...
    I stopped everything to come here because I wanted to make sure if you all see anything I do not see and a reason I should get a sooner test than +6.
    I will hang here a bit to see if someone says I should or if even someone confirms the +6 is ok to wait for.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  10. Bandit's Mom

A +6 should be enough. Is he getting a little food with every test?

11. Cherryl & Mouzer

He did eat 6 tablespoons of lc at +2 and you just reminded me to document that he did eat 1 tablespoon of lc 30 minutes before +4.
    I tried to get him to wait for test but he was wanting it and I recall you said it is ok anytime in the day just not the two hours before shots.
    I spooned some out and he mostly sucked juice but got the tablespoon eaten up with the juice. He did not want any more.
    I tried again after the test but for now he does not want it.

And 20% HC has just arrived for Mouzer! So, I have all required foods.

12. Bandit's Mom

Ok. What you may want to do is to space out the food. We usually feed one main meal with the shot (not enough to fill them up) and then a spoon with every test or every hour. Depends on the cats and the numbers in the cycle.

He is probably full right now. :)

13. Cherryl & Mouzer

Wellll his food is spaced out through the day - he will be eating more but smaller amounts until he feels a need for a main meal.
    He tends to eat the amount of a main meal twice a day but not always at the very time of shot time.
    6 tablespoons is 3oz, which is a can of fancy feast, but Mouzer did not want it at main meal shot time. He only ate 1 tablespoon at shot time.
    He does this sometimes, where he is not interested in main meal, especially if I give him a little food two to four hours before shot, and then he will eat big at the +2 or +4, as if that is his main meal.
    Yesterday, he ate 21 tablespoons through the day, which is a total of three and a half 3oz cans for the day.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Bandit's Mom likes this.
  14. Cherryl & Mouzer

I responded above and I see you saw it...
    I am not sure how to spread the food out more than it is, really.
    With his eating 1, 2 or 3 tablespoons at a sitting through the day, I am having to give left over food to the other kitties.
    Mouzer wont eat it if it has gone to the refrigerator and he wont eat it warmed up from the refrigerator. It has to be right from the can of room temperature.
    I do not know if it is safe to leave a can sitting out with a lid on it or if it does have to be put in the fridge quickly.
    A teaspoon is barely any food at all and I will do the teaspoon if we have a hypo situation but I try not wasting too much food.

15. Bandit's Mom

How many cans of food does he need to have per cycle according to his weight?

I'm going to tag @JaxBenji and @Butters & Lyla to help with your food questions.

JaxBenji likes this.
  16. Cherryl & Mouzer

I am reading more. I had found that 6 tablespoons is in a 3oz can but now I find something else...
    But too, I have to keep in mind that Mouzer is hungrier than when he was in remission, so I do not think I can stick to the normal food requirements for him.
    I dont want to deny him food.

I just found this on the normal cat...
    But this is calling 2 tablespoons as to be more than a half of a 3oz can, so now I do not know what to think about reading how that 6 tablespoons is in three ounces... And going by what is below, Mouzer is a 20 pound cat, so he will eat a 3 ounce can in one sitting as a normal meal, and he does do that for what he seems to consider are his normal meal times hahahaa

I sought to find what is in 3ounce cans for tablespoons because you had once asked about how many were in what he ate, so I have been counting a 3oz can as 6 tablespoons, going by what I found. But then here this one is saying approx 4 tablespoons is in a 3ounce can. I am accustomed to just saying he ate 3oz or he ate half a can, half of 3 ounces.... But I was trying to put it in spoons for you hahahaa

And this is what I just found that is saying 2 tablespoons is more than half of 3oz.
    2 tablespoons
    A cat's stomach is designed to only hold about 2 tablespoons of food on average. This means feeding an average size cat more than half a can of wet food (that is 3 oz) in once sitting is too much. The average size cat which is 7 to 10 pounds should be eating no more than 1.5oz of food in a single sitting.

So now, I have to go back through the spreadsheet and figure how much he ate through the days with considering that 2tbsp is more than 1.5oz and I do not know how much more, so all I know to do is call 2tbsp as 1.5oz and 4tbsp as 3oz and Mouzer being 20 pounds, he needs at least 4tbsp, 3oz, for a meal and he is hungrier due to diabetes, so even more food.

*****EDIT: I just did Mouzer's food based on that 4tbsp is a 3oz can, so throughout yesterday, he ate a little over 10tbsp, which is two and a half, 3oz cans ... And he is a 20 pound cat with diabetes, so needing to eat no less than what is required but most likely more, because he is diabetic hungry. Normal requirement for 20 pounds would be 6 ounces, 8 tablespoons daily. So, Mouzer's eating 10tbsp in a day is not as bad as I thought for his running hungrier.

Yesterday, Mouzer ate one and a half 3ounce cans total for the am cycle, which is 4.5 ounces for the am cycle - 6 tablespoons.
    A normal 20 pound cat would need 3ounces for one cycle, so he only ate 1.5 ounces more than if he did not have diabetes.
    So, to keep him hungry, I would need to figure how much to give at main meal and spread the rest over the cycle, with a total spread of 6 tablespoons for the cycle, And sometimes Mouzer is ravishing in hunger, so I only know to oblige him at that time.

You have my brain working hahaha
    Tomorrow, IF I can leave the canned food out, not refrigerated, I am going to try
    2tbsp at AMPS
    1tbsp at +2
    1tbsp at +4
    1tbsp at +7
    1tbsp at +10

Is canned food good for a time out on the counter with a lid, room temperature?
    Because I cannot afford all of the kitties to eat up the fancy feast leftovers from Mouzer's ever tiny snack meal :)
    And Mouzer will not eat it if I put it in the fridge, not at all, not even if warmed up.

17. Cherryl & Mouzer

amps +6 138
    I will get something later...
    Maybe a +9 but I would like to get a +10 because I saw he had gone from blue at +10 to yellow at +11.75 the other day, so I want to see if he as a jump up somewhere around in there again.

18. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

By all means get some extra tests in.
    I calculate butters's food based on calories, since different foods have different calories per ounce. So I'm not sure how much help I'll be. She gets roughly 130-140ish calories per 24 hour period and weighs around 10 lbs give or take. And she is pretty inactive. I measure out all of her food in grams, and I basically equate 1 tsp = 7 grams of food (1/4 oz).

Can you try enticing him to eat the warmed up leftovers by sprinkling something he loves on top of them, like tuna juice/flakes or dehydrated chicken treat flakes, for just two examples?

19. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

More food for thought (haha I couldn't help myself :joyful:) - https://catinfo.org/feline-obesity-an-epidemic-of-fat-cats/#How_Much_Do_I_Feed - I found her formula to be a good starting point - I've also heard 20x<ideal weight> as another rough guess on calories. FWIW one of my cats gets more than the formula and the other gets less :joyful: What has really helped me the most was a baby scale - I know salter is recommended by members here; I got the Beurer one (amazon link).

20. Cherryl & Mouzer

I will go by the can ounces and tablespoon method. I think all is fine with the way Mouzer eats. I took a long time up there editing, as I was figuring out what I had been doing and what I am doing, so I could get it all straight. I did not know I am to withhold food if he is really hungry And my mind cannot compute that we are to withhold food, but we are to let them eat when they are hungry and we are to leave food out over night -- that is confusing and it is not withholding food :)

I feed Mouzer all throughout the day, sometimes he wants fewer meals, larger portion, and other times more meals, smaller portions.
    He rocks along but then will have a hunger streak.
    One time, Bandit's Mom asked how much he ate, I told her in x amount of ounces and she asked if I knew what that is in spoons, and so I set out to find that out and record the food in spoons instead of ounces.

I was only feeding him at testing time, and I test pretty much in the am, so he was getting the food spread out pretty well for am cycle, and if I did not test, he let me know when he needed something to eat. For pm cycle, I know how much I feed him up until I go to sleep and leave a can of food out.

Because of feeding at testing time, I had it where after he ate, I made him wait two hours before he could eat again, that way I got a read without food and that way he would eat at test time, but Bandit's Mom said to let him eat any time except the two hours prior to shot time, so I started doing that, so he has been eating whenever he wants to eat, but I will go back to what I was doing, where he will not eat between tests unless he lets me know he is really hungry - And I will have a reading to let me know if I should then hold back on the food and start tea spooning food, rather than table spooning food :)

I am going to try to spread his 6 tablespoons for the cycle, over the entire cycle, but it wont always be that I can feed him every two and four hours, even when not testing. But, as from what I learned in past, I do not think I should be withholding food from Mouzer, unless it is that we are seeing a hypo scenario coming into play.

I tried to find the sticky about eating but I cannot find it. I did find this link where people are speaking about it and it appears that a lot of people are feeding their cat however their cat wants to eat and I have been one of the more stricter about how I feed Mouzer, and I know there are others who go all out to boot lol but I am in between so, I think it is ok :)

I will tweak what I do and if I see I am in extreme error, I will fix that, but again, I think I do pretty good at controlling the food and Mouzer does not need to lack food.
    I feed a whole bunch of cats and I control their food - they would put me under the poor house if I did not :) And they are all healthy with weight appropriate to cat build. They rank 9 in health, on the 9-Lives Cat Scale, as per our county ratings.

The Link I Mentioned: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-often-to-feed-diabetic-cat.168007/

21. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

FWIW, I feed the same both AM & PM cycles; I only modify if Jax is having an active cycle. He also eats 6T of his food - I give 3T at his PS and then 1T at +2/+4/+6. That seems to be working for him.

From what I understand, it's best to not feed after nadir as it can impact insulin duration (there are exceptions, especially for kitties with acidic tummies - ECID). There's a great post on "manipulating the curve with food" here - https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/8-10-tashie-pmps-high-questions.101989/#post-1087990

You need to find what works for you and Mouzer and it just takes time and experimentation. Good luck!

22. Cherryl & Mouzer

The way you feed Jax ... is actually mostly the way I have fed Mouzer, with a little more at some times but it weighs out at the other times, and he does need at least 6tbsp per cycle. I am sure he has eaten after nadir but I really dont know what nadir is hahaha the lowest point? Or +6? But I will try to work out your exact method and then he wouldnt get hungry after nadir. Thank you for showing me how you use 6tbsp.

Another tiny issue that I see could come is that I am moving Mouzer's shot time up to way early before he would want breakfast. Like today, he is not accustomed to eating a main meal as the shot time he had and he ate 1tbsp at pmps +8 because I was told to let him eat whenever he wants, so that messed with his breakfast too.
    He only ate 1 teaspoon at amps. He ate his main meal at +2, and his main meal was 4tbsp's. He is a little messed up between the time change I am doing with him and too, it was said to let him eat whenever he wants, so I changed to doing that and that is what I need to change and go back to what I was doing. But because of the time change, he may not want a full breakfast and that might be switched off with +2.

Oh Thank You for that link too!!
    And I am kind of giggling and not being a smart butt but I actually did not have food questions until I was being questioned about the food -- I was confident lololol

Bleh, the more I try to show what I feed Mouzer, the more mistakes I make because I am tired of messing with this hahahaha

23. Cherryl & Mouzer

pmps +2 138 will get +4

My guess for +4 is 110
    And I am playing a game with Mouzer :D

24. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Great shooting and what a beautiful cycle!

If you had been back awhile and felt really comfortable with dealing with FD again, I’d suggest increasing to 2.25u in the morning. But I know you are still getting back into the swing of things so, this time, it might be best to hold two more cycles and see what he does. That would especially be true if he sees green tonight. While I believe he is going to need more insulin, I think it’s also best for you to feel a little more used to being back before we throw you into the fire :woot: If we don’t see any green tomorrow or just see a tippy toe bean in it, I suggest an increase to 2.25u on Friday morning.

sound good?

25. Cherryl & Mouzer

pmps +4 142

Mouzer won :D

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  26. Cherryl & Mouzer

Yes! Thank You!
    If he does tomorrow like today, I will at least have two days of shooting at what is not comfortable for me and I will have a little more nerve to continue doing so, except if we get nearer to 100 or that 120 - I am getting practice with below 180, so that is good :)

Marje and Gracie likes this.