3/3 Miles AMPS 360 +3 263 PMPS 257

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chris and Miles, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

"Good" morning all. Miles came up onto my bed a little early, it felt (6:05 instead of 6:15?) but we had a good long cuddle session before he started whining about food.

From the previous thread (which was https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/3-2-miles-amps-360-2-353-pmps-416-3-284.243959/)

Right. My concern is - what am I supposed to do with the droplet that comes out while priming? Is it safe and clean to wipe it off with a piece of toilet paper? Doesn't seem quite right. But if I leave it on, that droplet is an unmeasured amount of extra insulin.

Ooh but reading that again I see that if I don't prime then I may be delivering a smaller dose. Siiigh.

I hope I have the energy to get out to the pharmacy today.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Reason for edit: Added link to previous thread
    JaxBenji likes this.
  2. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Can you include the link too, Chris?

Chris and Miles likes this.
  3. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Oh shoot, absolutely. My brain isn't fully functional until I've had some coffee, and I don't get coffee until around about when I feed the cats!

Done

4. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I know the feeling! Haha
    So tomorrow you link to this thread :D
    How are you doing with the research of dosing protocolos? :bighug:

5. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Okay. I'm kind of torn between the two because
    - the slow one seems safer
    - on the other hand, I worry about Miles because it has taken me so long to get to this point, and he lost so much weight

He is whining, probably about more food even though I just fed him an hour ago. It's hard.

6. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

this is what I do when I adjust dosing with a syringe (I overdraw by a half unit or so, knock air bubbles to the middle then adjust to my dose, wiping the excess insulin off with a clean cotton round).

Totally. We can all relate, not that it makes it any easier.

As long as you are feeding only wet food, the choice is yours and your comfort. You can always start with SLGS then move to TR (or vice versa, just no "mixing"). Do you have specific questions about TR? Or things that make you nervous? Perhaps we can help ease your mind a bit?

SashaV likes this.
  7. JaxBenji

Oh and I meant to add that when a kitty is unregulated, he can't process nutrients efficiently so needs more food than usual...I think I've read 1.5-2x times. Once kitty gets regulated, they can process nutrients efficiently again and will require less food. I would feed small meals as you can (just withhold two hours before shot time to avoid a food influenced number).

8. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Oh yeah, I know. He's already getting 1.75 cans/day (I think that's 385 calories if he was able to absorb it properly.)

I think TR is just more uncomfortable for me because it is more aggressive and it's harder for my anxiety. ("What if he does go too low? I don't want to have to deal with the hypoglycemic situation! Agh!"

Cotton balls, as I'd call them! Excellent idea. I will have to add that to my shopping list. Thank you! (I can be a bit short on practical thought at times...)

JaxBenji likes this.
  9. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Well... if he goes too low you'll handle that too.
    Look at my thread if you want a little taste of the panic.
    Testing is the only way to keep them safe.

10. JaxBenji

I actually like the rounds better (personal preference) - something like these https://www.walmart.com/ip/Swissper...Facial-Pads-80-Count-Re-closable-Bag/48115492 -I hold one behind Jax's ear when I poke for blood to protect my fingers too (just incase I poke through) - I used cotton balls for a bit but found them too fluffy :p

Totally hear you but as you get used to it, your anxiety will go down. I promise (I was the same way!). As for low numbers, read (and re-read) the sticky here and read people's condos when they have low numbers; when you have a lower shot number or a low number in a cycle, post to the board for help; if no one responds (it happens...don't take it personally :)), utilize the stickies at the top of the board (I have the low number one printed just in case I can't get on the board).

It's always good to keep in mind that a number <50 on a human meter is not considered hypoglycemic unless kitty has symptoms; with no symptoms, it's just a low number and we want to get kitty a bit higher.

Hope that helps some :bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Oh so sort of round, flat cotton pads... ok. I've been using a piece of toilet paper wrapped around my finger when I do ear pokes - it seems to work.

I am not feeling good right now so I don't think I'm going to make it to the pharmacy at lunch - maybe after work? - but I had a question about syringes. I get that there are different gauges and lengths and the pen needles I have been using are 8mm (5/16") and 31G(auge). I noticed that diabetesexpress has a 31G 6mm needle (a little under 1/4") and their 8mm needles are 30G. If the needles available at the pharmacy are similar, or if 6mm needles are available, do you think they would be any better? (I'm imagining - harder to poke all the way through for a fur shot?)

12. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Actually now that I thought to search the Shoppers Drugmart website, they show 8mm 31G and 5mm 31G.

13. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Chris, I use the 8mm 31G needles from BD with the half unit markings as that was what was prescribed by Ruby's vet. I've never used the shorter 5mm ones but I like the idea of the longer needle so I know it's really in there when I insert it into the fur tent.

14. JaxBenji

Hope you feel better :bighug:

I'm not totally sure on Canadian syringes but I believe the BD Ultrafine II with half unit markings are what most use...I *think* these are them (I've also seen Canadian members tell each other to shop around) - https://diabetesexpress.ca/products/bd-ultrafine-ii-syringe-3-10cc-6mm-31g

And the needle length may fall in personal preference too. I've had fur shots with my short needles. All that to say is that needle length probably won't stop an accidental fur shot :p

15. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Thank you both, that helps!!

JaxBenji likes this.
  16. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

I'm looking at Miles' PMPS number and it is ... much lower than it has been.

I'm pretty sure that this morning I did make sure to properly set up (prime?) the pen needle and there might have been a small bead of insulin on the needle from that. Lacking any cotton rounds I will have to look to see if I have anything I can use for the PM shot. I don't think his number is so low that I should avoid giving him his shot.

17. JaxBenji

just use your TP! sorry if I implied that wasn't a fine solution!

IMHO it's a safe # provided you have supplies and can monitor. Do you have medium carb/high carb/honey/test strips? Post to the board for help if you need it. I would get a +2 to see what Miles is doing.

Do you know how to edit your title? If you are feeling unsure, you can ask the question in your title to get more eyes :bighug:

18. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Well I thought maybe the TP wouldn't be entirely antiseptic, at least compared with something cotton which might be stored in a bag until you need. Still, ok, fair enough.

I do have tons of strips, and I have honey. Damn, maybe I should go out to the pharmacy just to get some high carb cat food. I've been trying to always get a +2 regardless, just to keep an eye on things.

And yes, I can edit my title - thank you :)

19. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Just another idea for you: I use cut up pieces of an old t-shirt and an old bedsheet instead of disposable cotton rounds/balls or TP. I just throw them in with my laundry.

I use the 31G 6mm syringes from diabetes express. I prefer the shorter needles because I poked right through the skin tent with the 8mm ones. But the 6mm are pretty short and definitely not everyone's cup of tea. If you go to Shoppers drug mart, they'll sell you syringes by the bag (as opposed to by the box), so you can buy different lengths before you invest in an entire box. That's what I did.

If you can find a way to spend $200 at DBX in one go, the shipping is free. However, I found that even with the cheap shipping option, they still have the best price going for a box of the 31G 6mm syringes.

JaxBenji and Chris and Miles like this.
  20. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Yeah I saw the price for needles on the Shoppers' website and the price difference was pretty severe.

Heading out to the pharmacy. I guess a pressing need trumps my anxiety.

21. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Well, I'm back now but - that took 40 minutes, so it's too late to give him a shot.

I got five tiny cans of FF chicken feast in gravy grilled, and I got a bag of 10 6mm/31G syringes. Expensive per syringe but at least I got them.

JaxBenji likes this.
  22. JaxBenji

You can shoot if you want - grab another test (presuming you haven't fed in between or if you have it has been < 20 minutes). You can move back to your shot time by 30 minutes per 24 hour period. So tomorrow, you could move your AMPS up by 30 minutes from when you shoot tonight (shoot your PMPS 12 hours from that) and then move your AMPS move Friday up by 10 minutes. I'll post an alternative too -

23. JaxBenji

Or you can move AMPS tomorrow up by 15 minutes, move PMPS up by 15 minutes from AMPS and then Friday morning AMPS will be the same 10 minutes move up as the other option. There's more info here - Getting back on a 12/12 schedule

24. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Too much to take in, thank you but sorry.

JaxBenji likes this.
  25. JaxBenji

no worries just wanted you to know there's an option to shooting late :bighug::bighug::bighug:

it's A LOT at the beginning but all of it gets easier :bighug: Sleep well :bighug:

26. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Thank you!! :bighug: