3/3 PHOENIX BG dropping to low for my comfort zone

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Scdal, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Scdal

Scdal Member

I would like some advice on Phoenix's BG. For the second time in a week, Phoenix has dropped down to 34 and 51. His BG all day yesterday stayed from 51 to 108 in the afternoon.

The problem is that I live alone out on acreage. It is a 2 hour trip just for me to go to the grocery store. I don't feel comfortable leaving Phoenix alone that long with these numbers. Would it be possible for me to reduce his insulin to keep him in the 80 - 200 range? I know this is not ideal, but I feel it is better to be safe than sorry.

Like I said, my shortest trip is about 2 hours. If I need to go to the feed store or pharmacy, it is a lot longer. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Susan, I don't know if you've already given him his insulin, but reductions are in multiples of 0.5U at doses 5U and above. So his current dose would be 8.5U.

I am going to tag @Marje and Gracie @Wendy&Neko and @tiffmaxee for dosing advice. It's still early for them. They should be around soon.

ETA: If you use the "?" prefix in the thread title, when you have a question, you would get more eyes on your condo.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi. I’m trying to understand. I see the lime green on 2/26. I don’t see another. When was the other drop?

4. Scdal

Scdal Member

Since I have you on board, I am not going to bother with a question mark today. I trust your advice implicitly.
    Yesterday , Phoenix's PMPS was 75. I was terrified to give his 9 units as he had been low all day. I knew in the past, you had advised me to give half a dose instead of skipping. I gave 4 5 units and Phoenix didn't get any higher than 293 all night.

This morning, I gave Phoenix 8.75 units. I will drop it back to 8.5 as you advise. I hate keeping him a little high but I will not leave him alone with his BG in the numbers he had yesterday. Thank you so much for responding and have a great day!!

5. Scdal

Scdal Member

He dropped down to 51 on 2/18 and again yesterday on the half hour following a 54 reading. I can't have Phoenix dropping this low and safely leave him alone.

On 2/26, I had 2 curbside pickups scheduled. One was a grocery pickup and the other was the feed store. I had to cancel both of them because Phoenix was low all morning and I would not leave him alone.

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Take the .50 reduction. Combined with the half dose it should help give you some breathing room.

Bandit's Mom likes this.