? 3.3. Simba PMBG 54 one month OTJ - health update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lina and Simba, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

Last thread:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/3-2-simba-otj-afterparty-video.242510/

Hi all! :cat:

It's exactly one month Since Simba's officially been OTJ. I'm happy to say his BG numbers have been mostly between 50-60 whenever I've measured. Throughout February I slowly started incorporating raw feeding into his diet and currently he eats 100% raw meals. The food is pre-made and frozen into portion balls and I've investigated the food and the company to see that he gets all of the necessary nutrients and vitamins. While weaning him off canned food I introduced homemade pumpkin puree and egg yolk powder as well, currently he gets a tiny bit of both with his dinner.

Almost two weeks ago I noticed him wheezing crouched over, like he did last Autumn before his asthma diagnosis. Quick recap: the steroid injection given to him in September triggered his diabetes. I received an aerokat inhaler and Flixotide (Flovent) from the vet yesterday, he's on a 125 microgram dose 1-2 times a day. So far so good, he is very patient and breathes nicely while I hold the aerokat. I give him a treat immediately afterwards so hopefully he will get used to it soon and his coughing fits will be under control.

Currently my main concern is his vomiting... within a week he's vomited twice, both times early in the morning between 1-3 hours before his breakfast. He doesn't get fed at night. There hasn't been any hairballs or food in his vomit, it's mainly light brown/brown-ish liquid. I am worried about this... Simba's appetite is good, his BG is good, his LT business is good. He has been a bit less active and playful in the last week, but I've put it down to his coughing fits. When should I take him to the vet? Is this something that can be resolved at home? I appreciate any suggestions/tips/experience shared on here, as I don't trust the vet so much. I've already googled "cat vomiting brown liquid" and it made my heart sink a little... :(

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Lina

Great to hear from you. Glad Simba is doing well on the whole.

If he doesn't eat all night, could the vomiting be on account of acid build-up? I've had that happen with Budge and Bandit.
    Dr. Google's predictions are almost always dire! :rolleyes:

I'm going to tag @Wendy&Neko and @Gill & George

Lina and Simba likes this.
  3. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Usually if it's acid reflux we would expect it to be white foamy vomit.
    But since it has happened both times at night after not eating for a while, if it happens again it might be worth trying feeding him at least once at night to see if that helps.
    George sometimes does the foamy vomit thing if he doesn't eat his night snacks from the autofeeder, very occasionally it can be coloured,

If it becomes persistent or recurring I think you should speak to the vet.

Lina and Simba and Bandit's Mom like this.
  4. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

He's never really ate at night! Before I knew any better I used to leave kibble out overnight, but he usually scoffed it all up immediately. When he was on insulin I fed him at night, but mostly to keep him from dropping too much... I will feed him half a portion just before I go to bed and see how it goes. Also maybe not leave the pumpkin and egg yolk for the last meal? I am really trying to figure out is this a coincidence, or could it be because of his asthma flaring up and the pumpkin + yolk moved to his last meal, when he usually had it in the middle of the day. :confused:

5. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

It's not white, nor is it foamy! I'll try to feed him half a portion late at night, before I go to bed and see if it helps. Simba went through almost a week of throwing up every morning back in December before I joined the FDMB... It was quite a similar situation, usually early in the morning and lightly coloured, bile-like liquid. Sometimes more brown. The issue sort of resolved itself, but there was kibble involved. :facepalm: I'm so pleased he's thriving on the raw diet I'd rather never open that LC kibble that's hidden at the back of the pantry!

Gill & George likes this.
  6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Simba's numbers are still good and the aerokat is helping. I'm not sure about the vomit, but I think I'd try feeding a snack during the night to see if it helps. If you have any freeze dried treats you could give him those and it will be something on his stomach. I hope you can figure out what is going on with him. Sending prayers.

7. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

Thank you Carla! I have chicken jerky or raw chicken necks that Simba loves, they might hold a bit longer in his tummy. Maybe the pumpkin and egg yolk in the evening speeds everything up so much my poor boy is starving in the morning!

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

If you have auto feeder, you can freeze a small bit of the raw and use feeder set for middle of night. That way the raw will be thawed by time he eats it and your not compromising his diet.

Gill & George and Lina and Simba like this.
  9. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

That's a good tip, thanks! I'll look at getting an auto feeder.

10. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I'm the mean time, you can put some frozen down when you go to bed and see if that works, unless you have others who might steal it.

11. Lina and Simba

Lina and Simba Member

Our other cat turned his nose up on the raw food, I tried to introduce it to him but Mr. Fussy picked it out with his paw and looked miserable doing it. So that might just work as well!

Gill & George likes this.