3/30 - Alphyne - PMPS @ 91

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by bobjoh, Mar 30, 2021.

1. bobjoh

bobjoh Member

(previous) 3/29 - Gryphen AMPS @ 207, Alphyne AMPS @ 120 / PMPS +4 @ 70 / +5 @ 74 | Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB

It appears Alphyne REALLY wants a reduction!!

She is PMPS @ 91, and I'm not all comfortable shooting that low. Her numbers haven't moved much all day once she dropped from the AMPS, and was really pushing the new reduction number of 70 at AMPS + 5...soooooo close. She must speak human since she's obviously gunning for < 70 now.

She also always does this when I have to be gone for an hour or two. I will be gone for about 1.5 hours after shot time.

Do I just give a token dose, like .25? I'm ok with that, I think, as I'll be home by the time it starts kicking in, and I could feed her MC before I have to leave. Thoughts?

Help, please!! Again. And thank you!!

2. bobjoh

bobjoh Member

I shot a .5 dose. I retested with the AT2, and compared both numbers. I gave a .5 shot at that level previously (on the AT2). I'll hurry with work stuff and get home to keep an eye on her!! :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You got some good data today, to show what would happen to her numbers after the shot and before onset. Onset is typically around +2 in Lantus. Next time you could probably shoot, and leave extra food around it you'd be back for onset.

bobjoh likes this.
  4. bobjoh

bobjoh Member

Thank you! Still nervous to shoot so low, but it looks like she isn't going to make this easy on me, so I'd better muster up some courage!! ;)

5. Marina & Chico

Marina & Chico Well-Known Member

Ohhh, Alphyne really seems to like this dose. So nice and flat :)

Good luck

bobjoh likes this.
  6. bobjoh

bobjoh Member

I'm still learning...what do you consider 'flat'? To me, it looks like she is all over the place! With this morning being an obvious exception, since I only gave a partial shot last night...I guess I was considering flat as being in the same color or within a closer range? Maybe that's why I'm usually freaking out..my girls might be flat and I think they aren't!! :facepalm:

Marina & Chico likes this.
  7. Marina & Chico

on the 29/3 PM cycle she spent at least 4 hours in the same range, that is flat and that is what we strive for :) on the 30/3 Am cycle she spent at least from +5 (most probably started earlier) until next preshot in green and then she started bouncing (including the reduced dose) and it resulted in the yellow preshot on the 31/3 AM cycle. She spent overall a lot of time in green range, on the 30/3 AM at least 7 continuous hours. In my opinion after that green preshot she would have bounced anyway but since she received less juice we cannot know for sure. Judging by the 16/3 AM cycle she would have bounced as well, you shot the green preshot then, so theoretically you had the information of how she would react.

The goal is to shoot low to stay low but of course we should do it only in case we feel comfortable doing it. When we shot our first green preshot the entire forum heard us being nervous hahaha but once you do it once and you learn (by testing) how they react it becomes more comfortable.

that is all just my interpretation of course and i am doing this only for 2 months, so please take it with a pinch of salt :D

bobjoh likes this.
  8. bobjoh

bobjoh Member

I think I have a problem since the number 'ranges' are so big...a 150 and a 100 are in the same range, but it's such a wide swing! I'll get there! :) Thank you for your input! I'll take all the salt pinches I can get! ;)

9. Marina & Chico

The colors on the SS are very helpful, we consider even now, i am very happy for a 99 but very sad for 104 because they are different colors hahaha (i understand that is ridiculous :D)
    With time you will be able to "feel" a higher blue or a lower one. Small variations are really just meter variance +- 10-15 points (@SashaV loves this term :D)

bobjoh and SashaV like this.
  10. bobjoh

bobjoh Member

Amen...but I could REALLY do without rhe meter variance! Ha! It's hard enough without testing multiple times and getting different numbers with each. Dang technology! :banghead::banghead: Still better than shooting blind, tho!

11. Marina & Chico

haha damn technology but on the other hand impossible without it :D

i tested one day twice one after the other and i read a 140 the first time and the second 151. I checked because i wasn't expecting the value that i measured the first time and i just wanted to make sure it is correct. This is meter variance.

If you get once 20 (which once i got :D) and in a few seconds the second measurement was 180, you have to make a judgment call. We knew that the 20 didn't make any sense in the phase of the cycle we were in and considering the values around it that's why we understood that it most probably was a faulty read.

That's why they say to never compare meters, it just drives you crazy and adds no value. What we care about is the trend. The min values the protocols are specifying (90 for SLGS, 50 for TR and 70 for your adapted SLGS) are in place in order to ensure that "the meter variance" won't get our kitty into hypo without us even realizing.

bobjoh likes this.
  12. bobjoh

bobjoh Member

Yes! I've been slowly cutting the cord on the pet meter, but keep it as a backup for when I get the odd numbers (like the low PMPS last night). Since I started with the AT2, I have more data on that and it gives me a little more confidence to shoot while I learn the human meter variances. Baby steps for me...now if only I could get my girls to take those baby steps with me instead of giant leaps and bounds! Ha!!