3/30 Jasper AMPS 388 / +2 316 / +3 256 / +4 222 / +6 197 +7 181 / +8.5 205 / +11 281 / +12 341

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jasper Blue and Jay, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Jasper Blue and Jay

Jasper Blue and Jay Member

So I figured the carbs from yesterday might make his numbers go up this am cause they didn't by the time of his PMPS last night, so we skipped and this am he was up to the highest number we've gotten so far.

So we did his .5 this am and at +2 he's already down to 316 ...and he ate a good breakfast and has been grazing on sardines and ff pate since his breakfast and shot.

I feel like a -72 drop at +2 while grazing is a lot for just a .5 dose... but I haven't looked at enough spreadsheets to know.

Luckily the last 3! tests have been super quick and easy because I've been properly heating the rice sock.
    So I'm going to keep testing him today... and if he gets low like yesterday I won't give him honey/gravy right away this time, just regular food, retest and then go from there...(it helps me to write it out lol)

(I know 214 was technically "safe" to give him insulin last night but we were both too nervous and too exhausted to stay up and test him last night)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  2. Jasper Blue and Jay

The testing has gone super easy today, but it's been... a lot... so he's not thrilled with me.

At + 6 197 we put out a little bit of food for them, half a can between the two of them and they left some behind so he wasn't crazy hungry, 181 at +7ish

3. Jasper Blue and Jay

Is this a curve? lol feels like it is but I guess that's good because we haven't ever done one before.

4. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I think u could count this as a curve, u did a great job testing and I love love love seeing those blue numbers, getting him in lower numbers will make him feel better, post pmps

Jasper Blue and Jay likes this.
  5. Bellasmom

Do u give a LC treat after testing, that’s a gtreat positive reinforcement, they will associate the test with a treat, like pure bites chicken, Bella loves them

6. Jasper Blue and Jay

Thanks! We just did his +11 and it was 281 and he hasn't eaten for a few hours and even then his midday meal was small. I'm still not comfortable giving him insulin tonight, I think of it as... giving him .5 less insulin rather than skipping lol because I can't go any lower and won't be awake to watch test or feed him tonight.

I'm going to test him one more time tonight... poor guy... at his pmps time after he eats and just for future reference to know what the full day's numbers were like.

7. Bellasmom

If he’s still around 280# I wouldn’t skip pm shot

8. Jasper Blue and Jay

Yeah , he got a LOT of purebites tonight, we got him a bag on your recommendation, and a friend is sending us another bag which is good because... yeah... a LOT today! lol

Do those have any carbs? I can't tell from the bag and keep forgetting to look it up.

Bellasmom likes this.
  9. Jasper Blue and Jay

I'm going to see what his amps numbers are like for a couple of days with just doing the am dose and not pm...we haven't been able to sleep well/enough with all of this and just really needed a couple nights of sleep this weekend.

10. Bellasmom

No
    You need to be consistent with shooting, I know it’s a little nervous but your not gonna know what he’s gonna do if u don’t, I’d shoot and get a +2

Djamila likes this.
  11. Jasper Blue and Jay

I won't make it 3 more hours, it's going to be a strain already to make it another hour just to get that pmps number so I'll have that data going forward.

12. Bellasmom

I only say this cause it’s nots staying in his body consistently, hopefully tomorrow u can shoot both and remember we are hear

13. Bellasmom

Would love to see a pic of him, u should put one on ur a avatar we all love to see kitties

14. Bellasmom

Maybe change the hour that you give the insulin so it’s not so late for you

I give Bella his insulin at 4:45 am and 4!45 pm so I can test +2 before I leave for work

15. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

It is very important to be consistent with dosing whenever the PS number is high enough, and the nadirs have been in a safe range. So far the lowest you've had is a 53. While that's low, it's still safe. (not sure why it turned lime green on your spreadsheet - it should have turned dark green)

You can also give a 0.25 dose, and what we call a "drop" where you push the plunger in hard, insert it into the vial, and release the pressure on the plunger. It will suck in a drop of insulin. When you inject it won't feel like you did anything, but it will have an impact.

If you need to, try giving a 0.25u dose - that would be better than skipping at this point.

16. Jasper Blue and Jay

We're too new to this to be doing all that... right now while we're still learning and adjusting to a new normal and learning what the insulin does to him, it's just too risky for my own mental health if not for his actual health.

.25 twice a day would probably be ideal but as the syringes we have don't allow for that...we're going to keep giving him the same dose every day and keep tracking his numbers until we feel safe to give him more insulin, or talk to the vet or get different syringes, etc.

I'd rather be consistent with him with the same dose every morning, than keep having low times where he has to get extra carbs which then raise him and alter his numbers, etc.

I want to know what the same dose every day for a few days does for his numbers.