3/31 Pearl PMPS 121, +2 146, +4.5 105

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Margaret (and Pearl), Mar 31, 2021.

1. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

Good morning! Pearl doesn't seem to be her usual GREEN self on this dose. And I don't know what to do - do I have room for increase with some of her AM cycle NADIRs? It honestly looks like she is 2 different cats AM and PM cycles (so of course that makes me wonder whether she needs 2 different doses - I know this is crazy given Lantus, but I think I have heard of sometimes cats who need 2 different doses AM and PM?)

At any rate, do you think I have room for an increase? If patience at the current dose is what is needed, I can do that. Her patterns are just looking pretty wonky and I don't want to lose the good ground we have gained. Pearl doesn't usually go up into the blues. She isn't bouncing, she is just too high (she has minor Pred blips every 4th day, but I expect that. This post is about the unexpected blues not associated with her Pred).

I also don't know if we are in a Pancreatitis attack. I suspect not since her AM cycle BGs are still in the green but it's her PM cycles that are in the blue (usually Pancreatitis for Pearl puts both AM and PM in blue). However, she does have some symptoms and I am doing supportive care as if she is in an acute attack.

(PS I can't get rid of regularly feeding the 3% carb food right now - which is a higher carb FOR PEARL who is ultra sensitive, because she still isn't wanting to eat well and this is the only way I can get food into her right now). But I do recognize that this could be part of the reason her numbers are a bit high.

Yesterday's post: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/3-30-pearl-pmps-96-2-75-90.245454/#post-2769764

Thank you so much!

@Wendy&Neko @Marje and Gracie

@Tina Marie and Jan

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

@Tomlin
    Her cat is on prednisone too

3. Margaret (and Pearl)

Thank you, yes we know Amy!

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about changing the dose, but I do know it's not a good idea to shoot a different dose twice a day because of the depot. If you do this the depot has to constantly adjust and you won't be able to tell what is going on with the dose. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I would not shoot different doses ether. She was down in the 60’s yesterday. Did she get prednisolone today?

Margaret (and Pearl) likes this.
  6. Cherryl & Mouzer

Cherryl & Mouzer Well-Known Member

I am sorry to see you are struggling in your mind with what is going on. I do hope there is a solution for you.

7. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Margaret! Lantus seems to work best when dosing is consistent, so two different shots isn't a great idea. I would see what the powers that be have to say about an increase. I think your instinct is right, but I'm not great in the patience department and Pearl is on meds and has issues that I'm not familiar with enough to factor in. I took Ruby up on 3/9 when many would have said not to and she got some really good numbers after that increase, but ECID.

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

In my time here, I haven't seen that the case for the cats on depot insulins.

I wouldn't worry about trying to lower her food to 0%. Some cats actually do better with a bit of carbs and I think most people feed in the 3-6% range. Feeding Low Carb vs Lower Carb Foods

If you can continue to monitor as you have, I'd be tempted to do an increase. It might just short term, but might also give her just that nudge she needs.

9. Margaret (and Pearl)

Ok I can start the increase tonight. I monitor enough and that isn't about to change anytime soon, so I am confident with it. Would you do 0.25 Wendy or just an eighth? I don’t know the rule for when some people try the eighth. I have calipers so I can do anything!

Thank you!

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The increase you do can be balanced by carbs. So if you give her a little bit higher LC, you could go with a 0.25 unit increase. I don't where you've tried a smaller increase before, it might be worth an experiment to see how Pearl would handle it. It's very much ECID.

11. Margaret (and Pearl)

Thank you so much for your input. I think I will experiment with the eighth and see what happens. I have never had to go back up from a reduction before so I love having this option, to see if somewhere between the two doses is the best fit for her.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  12. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi Margaret. What is the 3% carb food that you feed Pearl? And what is the lower carb food that you feed her normally? I hope you get Pearl settled and I sincerely hope she does not have a pancreatitis flare!

13. Margaret (and Pearl)

She eats Wellness Core Turkey and Duck (0%) or the Venison blend (3%). Note that these are both veeery LC, but she is ultra carb sensitive. Most cats will not be this sensitive and you won't need to discriminate between these small percents. Most cats will be ok on a LC under 7ish% and then a MC of around 14% for when needed. Pearl just uses the 3% as a bit higher than the LC and not as high as a MC - due to her severe sensitivity. Thank you I also hope no Pancreatitis flare!

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  14. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Hi Margaret I was wondering how you came to calculate Wellness Core Turkey and Duck as 0% carb? If I look at the food chart most of us use as a reference, it comes up as 5%?

15. Margaret (and Pearl)

Hi Christie, Susanne and Marje helped me with it. Apparently, there are a few mistakes on the chart, and the Wellness foods are some of them. THe Venison blend also comes up at 13% but it is only 3%.

16. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

I see, thanks for clarifying. I also had trouble with Whole Earth foods when they changed the formula, they ended up making it more carbs, not less :rolleyes:

17. Margaret (and Pearl)

I cannot tell you how much it terrified me when I found out that the "MC" food I had been giving to stop Pearl's steep drops was really only 3% carbs. But thank God for that providential mistake, because Pearl is so ultra carb sensitive - I would have never figured it out without this miscalculation at first! Yes I think Wellness changed the formula thats what happened.

18. Debra and Jill (the cat)

Debra and Jill (the cat) Member

Hello! I was searching the forum to see if there's any info on Whole Earth canned food, because I have so much of it! Does anyone have info on carbs?

19. Margaret (and Pearl)

Hi Debra, there is a chart by Dr. Pierson on this site that lists carbs for foods. If you go into the Welcome section and read those details again, it should link there I think!

20. Debra and Jill (the cat)

Debra and Jill (the cat) Member

Margaret - thank you!
    Pearl is beautiful :) we have several Siamese babies, too. Is she a blue point?

21. Margaret (and Pearl)

Please create a post if you can't find the spreadsheet so someone can help you out (I can never find it).

Pearl is lilac point! I had never seen one before her. I knew her before she was born (in my friend's garage), so watched her points come in and everything as a baby.