3/4 Miles PMPS 401

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chris and Miles, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Previous thread: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/3-3-miles-amps-360-3-263-pmps-257.244023/

Well I feel quite confident about this morning's shot if nothing else. Took some bits of TP for the purpose of only cleaning off the end of needles. Just used the pen needle to give the 1.0 shot. Will have to read over the syringe instructions on the package and here at some point soon, and I guess I have extra insulin in my pen because all the leftover will go to waste after 28 days.

I did get a pic last night at the pharmacy of how they sell Lantus. It was all in boxes and I'm not sure if any of it was pens. Will post it later.

2. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Your Lantus lasts much longer than 28 days! That's only for humans who doesn't store it in the fridge.
    Just use the pen up.

3. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Yeeees but since I read that the device doesn't work properly if it's stored in the fridge (or, at least, right up until injection time), I haven't been storing it in the fridge.

4. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Oooooh, you have a point.
    You didn't get the syringes yet?

Chris and Miles likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

If you buy syringes you can use the pen to the last drop and store it in the fridge. You really need to get syringes because we change doses based upon .25 increments and less even most of the time. You can get syringes with half unit markings in Ontario.

It looks like you need to increase but not by a full unit.

Chris and Miles and SashaV like this.
  6. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Yes, I got all that - but when I started out I didn't have syringes so I decided there wasn't any point in keeping it in the fridge - I would just "eat" the loss of the remaining insulin after 28 days. I only just got some syringes and I don't know how to use em yet.

7. tiffmaxee

Have you seen this? We can start to increase after you look at tge videos and are ready to use the syringe.
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...info-proper-handling-drawing-fine-dosing.151/

8. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Yes, thanks!

Your post also spurred me to check which products the person at the pharmacy had shown me - I only took a photo last night. They have all three of the options available for Lantus listed in that article. On that note:

Does anyone here have experience drawing insulin from the refill cartridges - is the "interface" as easy as with the pen? (Setting the question icon on this thread for this question)

9. tiffmaxee

I’ll tag someone that I think can answer you.
    @Wendy&Neko

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, drawing from cartridges is like with pens. Cartridges are pen refills, just less waste material than getting the pen itself. And they were a bit cheaper.

11. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Great, thank you Wendy&Neko! :)

12. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hi Chris & Miles! Hope you all had a wonderful day :bighug: You didn't shoot last night, right? In the units cell for last night, write "NS" (instead of 1.0; NS = No Shot). Good luck with all of your scavenging for supplies :bighug:

13. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Hi JaxBenji, thanks for the well wishes. Honestly I'm just worn the heck out tonight. Thanks for the spreadsheet tip.

JaxBenji likes this.
  14. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

you are welcome :bighug: hang in there. one day at a time. I promise it gets easier. And people here like to remind each other a cat is more than just their numbers - Miles is so lucky having you looking out for him :bighug: