3/5 Shadow starting Cabergoline

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Christina Marie, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Christina Marie

Christina Marie Member

Today is the day y'all! I don't expect this to be a miracle drug or to take Shadow OTJ, but I can only hope and pray it helps his numbers come down and the other issues that have come from that as well.
    That being said, I posted on the Acro Facebook group about having my .5MG tablets compounded down into a liquid form, but someone pointed out the dose may be too high and the compound pharmacy may have written the wrong thing.

Here's where we are:
    Shadow is 16.8 lbs as of last check up
    Vet prescribed 1.5 tablets of .5MG every 72 hours.
    Compound pharmacy says compound is 75mcg/ML and to give 1ML every 72 hours.

Something is not adding up and I'm so confused. I was so excited when I picked this all up yesterday and now I'm terrified to even use it!

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Wow. I can't help with dosing. My Cabergoline just arrived at my vet's today and I'm going there to pick it up. It is in liquid form. What is the strength listed on your bottle? Can you ask your vet. The pharmacy itself would be an excellent resource, I am sure. Can you speak with the pharmacist? Which pharmacy compounded the Cabergoline?

3. Christina Marie

Christina Marie Member

Strength is listed in my original post. I'm not familiar with the conversions or what the mg, mcg, ml etc all mean and it's all turning into gibberish when they are all listed. I have a call and message left for his internist, but they're constantly busy and it could be Monday before I even hear back from them.
    There is a compounding pharmacy in OKC I took the tablets to be compounded into a liquid

4. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, so sorry. My kids were bugging me about something and I missed that you wrote down the strength on your post! Hugs

5. Suzanne & Darcy

I'd be interested to hear what @Wendy&Neko has to say about the every 72 hours. My vet and I discussed this. She said that some of the studies were using every 48 hours and some every 24 hours. We are going with every 24 hours. I am so new to this, I'm just hoping my cat will be okay!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  6. Christina Marie

Christina Marie Member

I'm so new too and just want to make sure I'm doing everything right! I believe this is brand new for my internist as well, so I believe she is basing everything off of the medical studies I sent to her prior to getting his prescription. I don't know how to make sense of anything in those studies and the abbreviations make it even harder for me to understand. My internist has been specializing in animal cancers since the 90s though, so I've been leaning on her advice pretty hard through this

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I posted the aero FB page. A dose of 1 and 1/2 0.5mg tabs would be 750mg every 72 hrs (3 days). . To obtain mcg multiple mgX1000. 1.0ml of 75mcg/ml every 3 days is 75mcg/3 days. I do not know where the 3 days comes from. A standard dose of cabergoline is 10mcg/kg daily. 16/8 lbs is 7.6 kg so daily dose would be about 75mcg/day or 1ml of 75mcg/ml per day.
    https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/conversions/common/mcg-to-mg.php

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

First off 75mcg isn't unheard of. Ollie was 84 mcg daily, that was to keep her symptoms from reappearing. Took many many many months to get to that dose. Every other day or daily is most common. Every 72 hrs, I don't know. A call to vet as to why might be in order.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  9. Christina Marie

Christina Marie Member

I just received the reply from the internist. She stated that when the script was originally called in, micrograms was accidentally read as milligrams, so she's very thankful I decided to compound so the error was caught before I started dosing. I inquired about the 72 hours and she said she chose that to err on the side of caution and we can change it to 24 or 48 hours depending on how Shadow reacts to the medicine.

10. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It took my Snuffles about 2 1/2 months to starting to show improvement (better BG control and less insulin) when he was on 10mcg/kg daily dose which is 3 times your dose. Therefore I would consider upping the dose/frequency if not adverse effects after a month or so.

11. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Ollie started at the 10mcg/kg. After 10 days her glucose came racing down. It's different for eveyone. Make sure you test.

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

We've had a couple cats start to see reactions at about 10 days after starting treatment, but that was the daily dose. Less than that will take longer to show. The only side effects is some GI upset, so not sure why the vet is being so cautious.

Good luck with the cabergoline!

13. Suzanne & Darcy

Christina, how is Shadow doing? I hope you are both well. Just checking in.