? 3/9 Hershel AMPS 160 +2 221 +4 104 +7 103 + 10 137 Need Dosing Advice

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amy and Hershel, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Amy and Hershel

Amy and Hershel Member

Hi everyone,

Hershel was just put back on insulin after going OTJ for the second time in August 2020 after a bout of pancreatitis. His vet ran some a urinalysis and full blood test and found glucose in his urine, mildly elevated pancreas levels (if this is turning into pancreatitis we caught it early and she prescribed Bupe and Cerenia in case we need it), and has recommended having his four molars extracted once his BG has stabilized.

I am very confused by this morning's cycle as I've never seen his BG increase after a shot. I thought maybe I'd done a fur shot by mistake, but then he dipped mid-cycle. I would really appreciate any feedback and if you think I should hold the dose for this evening's shot.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It takes 5-7 days for the depot to build. If following SLGS, you reduce when you see an under 90. That means holding the dose. He's looking pretty good for just starting back on Lantus.

I was looking back at the older data, and 8/18 and 8/21, his +2 in the AM was higher than preshot. I wonder if his onset is more like +2.5 or +3, meaning he could still be going up after preshot at +2.

3. Amy and Hershel

Amy and Hershel Member

Thank you, Wendy. Regarding the data from 8/18 8/21, I wasn't yet confident shooting lower numbers yet, so on those days I just assumed his number went up because he hadn't gotten any insulin. But it never occurred to me his onset could be delayed so thank you for that insight. I just gave him 1IU and will keep an eye on him tonight.