30/12 Mo - AMPS 349, +7 371, PMPS 488, +3 328 - He ate Tim's bread! *facepalm*

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by katy and mo (GA), Dec 29, 2020.

1. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

Yesterday's post

For some reason this morning, Tim thought it would be fine to leave his loaf of bread out on the kitchen counter while we went out for brunch with friends. So when we got home, the bread was on the floor with chunks taken out of it :facepalm: If i had known it was left on the bench, i would have put it away. We can't trust Mo with any food left on the bench because he will try to take a bite out of it. I blame Tim for this, not Mo. As a result, Mo has been drinking a lot of water and has highish BGLs. D'oh.

He's not really seeming...himself the last two days. By that I mean that he's been really sweet, he came to sleep with me under the covers last night and snuggled up against me, he also snuggled up against Tim in bed this morning purring loudly after he finished his breakfast! This was what he used to do! We also went outside to do some gardening and he was walking around meowing wanting our attention. I don't know if this is a good sign or not tbh. It's WONDERFUL having him be a good boy, but there is something in the back of my mind that things something else might be at play here. He has been purring a lot though, so that's usually a good sign, right?

I also got an email from one of the vets about my appointment tomorrow regarding requesting blood tests.

"Good morning Kathryn,

Thank you for getting in touch with us re Mo. Investigating possible insulin resistance this week will be a bit problematic, as we have vets on annual leave and sick leave, and the lab has limited hours. Janie will be back from the 11th January, and I see Mo has an appointment with her that morning. Will that suit you?
    How is Mo feeling? Have you noticed any changes in his body condition/weight, appetite or thirst? What is his current glargine dose?

I do hope we are able to sort issues out soon for Mo."

This is quite disappointing. I'm still going to take him in to get checked over but it's a bit frustrating that we are having to wait longer to find out what's going on with him. It's just that awkward time of year I guess.

Anywaaaaayyyy, I hope you're all having a wonderful day :p

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  2. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

PMPS 488.

Oh Mo, what are you doing to me. I imagine this is a result of the bread he ate and the cat fight he got in earlier. Oh lordy. We got feral Mo back this evening. Thankfully Tim was here at testing time so he held Mo while I tested him. He still managed to bite me though. Sigh.

The vet that emailed me earlie called me this evening to discuss Mo because they want to check him over before the vet goes on a 4 day break over new years. I let her know of his extra drinking and his behaviour and that has her a bit concerned. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

3. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

+3 328

Thank goodness he has come down! Back to his sweet boy self.

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Mo is coming back down. I hope the vet visit goes well. It sounds positive that he's acting like he used to. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

katy and mo (GA) likes this.
  5. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

My cat does the same thing. Pretty much everything left out would be eaten if not locked away. He is even known for opening cupboards to reach his buddy kibbles when he can.... Hopefullhis BG will settle down soon!

6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Yes, Luci too is a notorious food thief! Nothing is safe if it's left out on the counter - EVER! We've had butter dishes swept off the counter to crash on the floor - cookie containers, anything with bread, pastries, sweets, pizza, flour (yes, the kind you bake with) meat of course and one day I had a bag of cashews sitting on the counter - no one would think she'd got for a bag of cashews, right? WRONG! She chewed a hole in the bag and helped herself to our fancy cashews...so I've learned the very hard way that no food can ever be left on the counter - well, she doesn't go for tomatoes, bananas or other fruit/veggies...but everything else is fair game...

And yes, that BG will come back down after all that carb clears his system.

I hope you can get your vet to test for ACRO/IAA...you may have other issues to deal with as this high of a dose should have resulted in some better numbers...lots of experienced folks here to ask about those conditions. I do not have experience with that.

7. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

glad to see mo is coming down.
    good luck w the vet visit :bighug:

8. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Mo's a real foodie! :p Hope his numbers start coming down for you some more. Hope you've had a lovely day, Katy!

9. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

That's quite the drop @+3! Maybe heading for the lemon tree???
    Sending vines for a productive vet visit:bighug:. Hopefully they can get those acro/IAA tests done sooner than later.

10. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Same, Mo. Can't resist bread :p

Hope he slides down and you can get the bloodwork done for acro/IAA :bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

Thank you Carla :bighug:

I'm glad Mo isn't the only one! We need to put all our food under lock and key ;)

Sounds like Luci, Hercules and Mo are the three musketeers when it comes to carbs!!! Gosh, even cashews?? Now that's new. Interestingly, Mo is the same with fruit and vegetables. Not interested in the slightest!

Yeah we will just have to wait a couple of weeks into the new year before we can start testing him for insulin resistance. I'm going to ask the vet today if they've ever treated a cat that requires this much insulin. It would be interesting to know.

Thank you, lovely :bighug:

You too, Katherine :)

I was very surprised by that drop. I think the insulin probably helped bring it down. He probably had a visit to the lemon tree overnight but we were too busy sleeping :p His AMPS was 17/306!
    Thank you :)

Sue and Luci likes this.
  12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Did you manage to talk about Levemir with the vets office before they close? Bummer on the delay. :( I know a lot of things close down early in the new year in NZ.

Neko loved bread products, especially ones starting with "b", banana bread, blueberry muffins, baguettes, biga (Italian bread starter). That last one did a horror show on her numbers and GI system. :eek: We eventually figured out she had a wheat allergy.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  13. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

Not yet. Mo's appointment is in 15 minutes so o will bring it up then

Oh yes, mo loves his bread products. I wouldn't be surprised if he had some form of wheat allergy as he was always a puker until we switched up his diet to low carb

14. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Hope all turns out well:):bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Hercules love his mushrooms and courgettes, as long as covered in butter! ;)

I heard a lapping sound the other day, and went to check how much water was he drinking... found him lapping the frying pan in the one day in the year I s=decided to ddep fry something :eek:

Sue and Luci likes this.