31/12/20 Hercules AMPS 200

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Hercule's mum, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...to-avoid-so-many-bounces.240637/#post-2708996

Morning everyone! Let's get this year done!

I think Hercules does not want a dose increase.... I have been planning on the last two days to reduce his dose, but then he throws a lower AMPS...
    I think he just cleared yet another bounce?
    Thought I should give another dat and see what this dose do in a "clean canvas" before changing it. Should I have gone up no matter what?

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Are you still following SLGS or have you switched to TR? Your SS still says SLGS. With SLGS you hold the dose 7 days unless he earns a reduction and dips below 90.

3. Hercule's mum

Thank you Bhooma, I guess I am in limbo...I would like to follow TR, but I do not feel like I have enough information yet to do so... Because hercules had not settled into any dose yet. In the previous thread we were discussing how to take bounces into account when doing TR, and I thought the outcome was to see where the nadir is without bouncing values?

4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Have you shot him today? 0.25U?

5. Hercule's mum

I did, yes. so far it looks another flat day. I am trying to think ahead. Not planning on changing doses on new years eve :). So thinking about the game plan for tomorrow AM.
    If it is another flat day despite starting on the blue I can assume we are not breaking a bounce anymore, and change to 0.5?
    If we drop at all later or have another lower than previous day AMPS, hold the dose?

I know I am off protocol here... but Hercs does not follow the protocol...:):banghead:

6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Hello, as part of your plan for tomorrow are you open to switching to TR? If you'd switched to TR you would not have had to reduce the other night when Hercules hit those nice greens! Finally a good number and with SLGS and the AT2 you had to decrease...and haven't had a good number since :(

So how about it? Start the new year out by turning a new leaf for Hercules - switch to TR so you can hold the dose for longer - once you start seeing better numbers.

And I'm confused about your meter - are you using the AT2 or the Gluco Navii meter (human meter)? It makes a big difference and I don't see anything on your SS (unless I'm overlooking it) that says you're using a human meter??? Personally I prefer the human meters since all the dosing methods here are written using the human meters and NOT animal trackers - those were developed after these methods were written and are not necessary - although vets love to sell them to people...if you're using a human meter - all the better!

I'm not sure what this means - Herc, unless he's a hooman, cannot read or tell time??? So as far as him following anything..other than the scent of some good smelling fuds will surely not object to feeling better - and once those numbers come down I'm sure he'll be thanking you with lots of purrs and happy cat feelings!

Happy New Year to you! I'll try to pop in tomorrow on your new condo to see if you switched to TR (if so, update your SS) and ask about someone helping you update your SS to remove the comment about AlphaTracker as your meter if you're using the human meter as indicated in your signature.

Butters & Lyla and Bandit's Mom like this.
  7. Hercule's mum

I started with AT2, but switched to gluco navii. It is in my signature, but I'll make sure it is obvious on SS.

What I mean is that he never behaves as expected :rolleyes: so it seems difficult to apply the rules... For example today his lowest BG was at AMPS, then pretty much increased the whole day. Is he bouncing again? why? He hasn't had a proper nadir since we started lantus, and I am at a bit of a loss as to what is going on.

I will change his dose tomorrow AM, and will try to follow TR. See you tomorrow!

Sue and Luci likes this.
  8. Sue and Luci

LOL! No cat ever behaves as expected! They just love to keep you guessing...so many caregivers here will say 'they like to keep you on your toes'...constantly changing the expectations! ECID = every cat is different. Because they are so very different, no one can predict what worked for one cat will work the same for another.
    I beg to differ: On 12/24 he had a beautiful nadir at 6+ and then again on 12/27, pm 6+...perfect!

I'm not sure what you're referring to as a 'proper nadir'...but just watch those curves..the lowest number of the cycle can be considered the nadir for that cycle...although it may not have been a textbook nadir by someone's estimation, it was as low as he was going to get in that particular cycle.

You're just getting started on Lantus - it's a hormone and a long-haul one at that - takes a good bit of time to start seeing those lower flatter cycles...even in some cases the numbers are higher, but flatter...well in some kitties that's as good as it'll get - but for Hercules, he's new to this whole thing and you've got a good chance of getting him into remission if you adjust his insulin and work with him to try to get those numbers down as soon as possible. Plan on feeding the lower numbers with low carb or medium carb foods (stock up just in case) and be ready as you continue to increase. Hang on for the ride :)

9. Hercule's mum

You are right.... I am being overdramatic ;) I know people say it is a marathon and not a sprint, but I feel like we have ran a marathon and are still in place... But you are right, the Lantus approach is new and did show some great promisse on the first few days.....Fingers crossed we can get back on track!

Sue and Luci likes this.
  10. Sue and Luci

Have you looked at Luci's SS? Now there's a marathon - LOL! :facepalm:

Hercule's mum and Bandit's Mom like this.
  11. Hercule's mum

Wow! just had a look! It gives me such mixed feelings.... in one hand is great that is a long race, isn't. I always remind myself of that. I always rather have the race than to not, if you know what I am saying. But boy it can be overwhelming to look up.... I better just look into today!

12. Sue and Luci

Yes, one day at a time... is another day with our precious furbabies....

Hercule's mum likes this.