31/12 Mo - AMPS 306 +7 344 - Vet visit update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by katy and mo (GA), Dec 30, 2020.

1. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

Yesterdays' post

We just got back from the vet. He was a very good boy for her. We discussed insulin resistance, briefly chatted about switching to another insulin, and I asked if they had had cats that required high insulin doses before. This was the vet that dealt with Mo's pancreatitis but isn't the one who has been dealing with his dosing. She had a thorough feel around his belly and she remembers Mo's signs of pain and discomfort from when he had pancreatitis. She said as she was feeling around, he was giving her a look that he was uncomfortable but not necessarily in pain. She felt his colon and she said that he felt very backed up. His colon isn't dilated like he would be constipated but it might be on its way there if he doesn't poo soon. She suggested lactulose but is aware that it's high in sugar so she also suggested giving him some oil and seeing if that helps. She also ran another urinalysis just to rule out a UTI or anything of that nature. She said it was the cleanest wee she had seen in a long time! No sediment, 28mmol (~500 in US units) of glucose in it, good concentration, no ketones, etc. So that's good at least!

She wants to run blood tests for him next week on the 5th to retest for pancreatitis and to rule out other things. I will ask if that will include any testing for Acro/IAA. We will need to drop him in for the day though so he will be very happy about that...:eek:

In regards to the question about having had other cats that required high insulin doses, she said they have had a few, but their aim wasn't to get them regulated, it was to get them stable. That's not really good enough for me so I'm going to keep fighting harder to get him better. I'm sure the other kitty parents didn't really do any research on feline diabetes and didn't know that regulation is possible for high dose kitties.

In terms of switching insulin, she didn't want to make that call because this vet hasn't been the one to deal with his insulin dosing. So I will wait until the 11th of Jan till I see that vet and discuss it with her.

At least we are heading down the right track. We are starting to rule things out at least. Hopefully, we can help Mo do a big fat poo and make his tummy feel better :woot:

Hope you're all having a wonderful day/night :bighug:

ETA: I just remembered that she mentioned his fructosamine results from his first blood test when he was diagnosed was 690.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Kitten steps of progress. :bighug:

katy and mo (GA) likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It sounds like a good vet visit overall. I hope you see some poop soon.

4. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

Thanks guys :)

+7 344
    Probably left over stress from the vet.