4/1 SCRABBLE PMBG 89 BACK FROM VET NO SHOT

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Michelle & Scrabble (GA), Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday's condo
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10690
    I am so sad, I came home from work and Scrabble's sore looks worse than ever, it is bleeding and pussy now. My DH made him a makeshift cone so he would leave it alone for the night. I will call the vet at 8am when they open. His appt was not til Friday but I have to take him this morning since it has gotten worse. Poor baby! I wanted to cry when I came home and saw him! Don't know what his numbers will look like tonight because he probably has an infection, will report back in about half an hour. The funny part is he still seems to be himself. I feel terrible to have to test and shoot him but I have no choice!

2. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Re: 4/1 SCRABBLE AMPS 108 sore has gotten worse!

Quite surprised by his number, thought it would be high from what he is dealing with. Poor baby is trying to take a bath with his cone on. He was hungry surprisingly and ate a lot of breakfast. DH told me he squeezed a lot of puss out of the sore. It really looks yucky, can't wait to take him in! I feel so bad!!!

3. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle,
    Oh my, I am so sorry to hear this about Scrabble with the sore getting worse. Try not to worry so much, easier said than done. The Vet will check it out this morning. It's probably hurting you much more (the sore) than it is Scrabble. She will be fine. I will be gone from 8 am and return early afternoon, so I will check your condo when I return.

Yesterday, I don't know where I misplaced my mind, but I got distracted and was late with Maggie's shot, so I had a worry night, too with her numbers. she seems okay though.

Take care and hugs to you and Scrabble.

Ann & Maggie

4. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

Good idea on the cone DH.
    I would definitely take Scrabble to the vets today. It does sound like it may be infected. They will probably put him on an AB.

5. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

oh poor baby. He will feel much better in a day or two, just may have to wear that "thing" on his neck.
    Good luck getting an early appointment, so you can ease your mind.

6. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Awww Michelle. I hope 8am comes quickly. I know how hard it can be to wait. The vet will help you and scrabble take good care of it. On the upside, amps look great!

Good luck today.

7. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Hoping I can get an appt right away, it stinks that my usual vet is off today so I will have to see someone different, hope it will clear up quick and not effect his numbers too much! I hate to ruin our great progress! I feel so bad for him!!!

8. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

I wonder if the warm compresses brought the infection to a head? Poor little guy, but it sounds like he's feeling just fine so maybe I should be saying "poor mamabean" instead. {{Hugs}} The vet will get him all fixed up in no time =) Hubby did good improvising a cone! Scooby snack for hubby!

9. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Scrabble's amps doesn't look bad at all considering his sore situation. I have to wonder too, if the warm compresses may have something to do with bringing the infection to a head. Your DH is a pretty good guy there, making up a cone for Scrabble....papabean must lubs him too! I was wondering if you had any anit-biotic gel that you can put on the sore (as long as he has his cone on) until you get to the vet. My Ali had a sore on her ear and I used that and it cleared up pretty quickly.

I hope you are able to get Scrabble in today, early, so that you can put your mind at ease and maybe get some zzzzzz's in.

Will be checking later...swamped here at work...can only check some condos quickly :sad:

10. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Well Michelle...it did rupture so that is a good thing. It will be able to drain now...and it will be good that you get him in to see the vet. that's what was happening..there was an infection going on underneath and he knew it, right?
    It will be ok...try to not worry...AMPS are looking good! Keep us posted if you can...nice job by DH!!! :D

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Warm compresses may be good. Just don't use peroxide to clean the wound -- it can damage the tissue.

If there's a delay with the vet, I'd post on Health. Someone had a kitty with an abscess a few months ago and the folks over there were very helpful.

12. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle, You only have a few more hours to wait before the vet opens. Scrabble will be Ok. Your DH did great and you are doing great. That infection will clear up in no time with the right treatment and Scrabble's progress won't be impeded. Try to relax (easier said than done, of course!)!!

Ella & Stu

13. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Guess it's vet week for you & me huh?? Glad it opened, and is infected--So best to have vet remove dead tissue & care for wound--My vet wanted wound to be open so air gets to it, & I had to take scab off every day & soak...It heals better on cats if sore is open(i have no idea why, but that's what moonie's dr said) Maybe yours has a different method..
    I'm sure your baby will be well & happy when yoou get back & that thingy is being cared for even with the cone head!! Poor Scrabble!! HUGS~!

14. Sara & Magnolia

Sara & Magnolia Member

I hope you are both feeling better soon. It looks like Scrabble is doing a-ok otherwise, which is great!

15. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle. Hoping for a quick healing infection, with medication, for poor little guy.
    We'll be waiting to hear from you.

16. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Re: 4/1 SCRABBLE AMPS 108 +4 53

+4 53 weird lowest +4 in a while, thought he would jump up with all that is going on. I am waiting for someone to answer at vet office so I can calm myself down!! I am so tired it is unbelievable, I haven't slept just a couple of winks!

17. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Re: 4/1 SCRABBLE AMPS 108 +4 53 vet's @ 9am

Got an urgent care appt for 9 am, gonna have some coffee then pack up my boy, with my luck he will go below 50 and earn a dosecrease today! ha! Just want to get him all fixed up! I will post when I get back

18. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

good luck at the vets! I hope the dr can get you guys all taken care of and that scrabble heals up quick!

19. Deb & Spot

Sending good vettiebean luck vines

20. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Sendig good luck vet vines Michelle!!
    You are truly devoted to Scrabble and he will be fine under your care.
    We are waiting for news.

21. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Everything will be okay (but DON'T let your vet take a BG....they'll FREAK! :mrgreen: ). Where is the sore?

22. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Well the news is not good. The wound is deep and infected, vet tried to clean it while I was there but Scrabble is in a lot of pain. There is an absess and it has a lot of puss. The puss was very smelly. The only way to remove the bad tissue is to put him under. He is there now, vet is going to clean his teeth while he is there. I am so upset, poor baby!!!! My regular vet was not there but I was very happy with the vet that we saw today. He was very kind and compassionate. He was so impressed at how well Scrabble is doing on the insulin and how well I am testing. This whole experience today is going to cost me $1000!!! Ugh! So who knows what his levels will be today, I am sure they will be high. Scrabble should be home by 1pm assuming everything goes well. Will keep you updated today! Please send healing vines to Scrabble!

23. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Re: 4/1 SCRABBLE AMPS 108 +4 53 vet update!!!

Oh my. It is so good that you didn't wait to take Scrabble in to see the vet. He's getting the care he needs for the wound and dental at the same time. Just one anesthesia event, that's good.

Of course the vet should be impressed with the level of care and specialized treatment Scrabble is getting from you. You are doing a wonderful job and his pancreas is healing.

Now with help from the vet, Scrabble's boo-boo will heal and he'll have clean teeth. Unfortunately, your pocketbook will be cleaned out too... sorry about that part.

24. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

Oh my! Glad you got him in today then, and we're sending healing vines your way!

25. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Michelle, So sorry to hear that the infection is a bad one. But it's good that you got to the vet on time and that he is a good vet. Lots of healing vines are heading your way. Your Scrabble will be so happy to get home and he will realize that he will feel much better soon. Do keep us all posted.
    Ella

Stu says: Get well, man! Ditch that infection!

26. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about the dx. But it is being taken care of and the teeth too! :thumbup

Hugs and healing vines.

27. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

that's weird, i posted a reply but it's missing.
    glad scrabble is getting a tooth cleaning in the meantime so that's a good thing. guessing he'll get a convenia shot as antibiotic. it is used for skin infections. just monitor him as some cats have a reaction to it. cleo did not, and i liked it very much for her.
    sending quick recovery vibes for scrabble.

28. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

Oh Michelle-

So glad your got him there. Your intuition kicked in and you knew something was off...you did all the right things. So lucky to be able to kill 2 birds w/ one stone with getting the dental done. He will be SO much happier getting all this yuk out. I can't believe they can get him back to you already after lunch.that's amazing and great!

The $1k - OUCH! ...our estimate for dental alone was just barely under that though. these vets must all be driving lexus. I know how relieved you will be to get this all taken care of.
    His counts look just great! Can you imagine if he doesn't have all this infection and then clean teeth on top? Ya'll will practically be free falling down the ladder...you almost were already. You on the other hand may have high BG's today yourself stressing about your baby! So take care of yourself.

We are sending healing thoughts your way...am so glad he is in good hands and will be well soon. i know you'll be so glad it's all handled.

B & H

29. Randi & Max (GA)

Sending healing vines for Scrabble today that his booboo gets
    all cleaned out and he comes home with shiny new teeth.
    We are thinking of you and holding hands while you wait.

30. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I know that the vets can be pretty pricey, but I am sure you feel that Scrabble is more than worth it; I know that's how I felt about Shadoe.

So it's fantastic that you got the earlier appt and now Scrabble's going to feel sooo much better! The dental stuff is something that I sure learned makes a BIG difference. You may find out that shining up those choppers and getting that infection cleaned out gives a whole new lease on life; something that is well worth every penny!

Good wishes for Scrabble's recovery and healing.

31. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Thanks everyone, I am holding my breath waiting to hear from the vet! Hope this doesn't screw his numbers up for long! Glad the teeth are getting done at the same time since this is something I wanted to do! Will keep you guys updated! Thanks!

32. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Michelle, I'm so sorry that Scrabble's infection is so bad. Good that it's being cleaned out now, and it can get on the road to recovery. He'll be feeling better, before you know it!
    Big cyber hug to you, for having to worry so!

33. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

Oh wow! Well, good that you trusted your gut and got him in there today. Sending healing vines to Scrabble!

34. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

Who knows, maybe the teeth cleaning will ultimately contribute to lower numbers. It's just great you were able to get Scrabble to the vet and hopefully nip whatever infection he has in the bud.

If Scrabble ends up on antibiotics, as he likely will be, you might want to ask your vet for some Fortiflora or go and buy some probiotics to counter what the antibiotic may do to his GI tract (e.g., kill off the good bacteria in his tummy, trigger some diarrhea).

Fingers crossed for a quick and full recovery!

35. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

(((Michelle & Scrabble))) soooooooo happy to hear you took him to the Vet & that he is healing now! Yay! He held his own with his BG #s to have all that going on! :thumbup
    I have no doubt Scrabble will be on his way to a wonderful recovery soon.. Cheering you all on!! Gooooooo Scrabble!

36. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((michelle)))
    sorry scrabble had to have this done today, but glad you brought him in. when you get him home, test him. if possible, get a couple of tests before pm shot time. anesthesia is known to have a blood glucose lowering effect in some kitties. post your pmps number before shooting for dose advice. you may want to reduce the dose tonight. look at moonie's ss for an example of what we call the nom-nom effect (lowering effect of anesthesia on bg's): http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ajs8RZsEo7LRcHJIODhJcEhuZGpiY0dQbjN1RWRhSHc&hl=en. check out 11/18 (dental day). roni shot a reduced dose for both am & pm shots and moonie still managed to drop into the 40s.

37. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Oh wow ... good thing you got scrabble to the dr right away! Glad to hear you can also do the dental .. scrabble is going to feel like a million bucks when this is all said and done! $1000.00 for the dental and cleaning of the wound is a lot of money but worth it especially if it helps scrabbles numbers and he doesn't have any toof pain going on anymore. Mochas dental alone was well over that price.

38. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

sending you healing vines and calming thoughts.

39. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Just talked to vet, he said scrabble is doing well! I am going to pick him up @315. He said his teeth look great & there are no tooth problems & he was impressed how good his teeth looked for his age! Said wound is all clean & stitched, he will probably be completely healed from that in 2 weeks. I will get a ps shot # & hopefully someone will be able to advise on dose. Will update when I bring him home, thx all for your great wishes & thoughts!!

40. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Except for the $1000 everything sounds great. Sooooo glad he got to go in today and got a dental too.
    Heal fast Scrabble!

41. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

Great news!! Happy to hear Scrabble is all fixed up :smile:

42. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Sending hugs, Michelle, and congrats on acting so quickly for Scrabble.

This will be just a memory soon. Scrabble is doing great, and he'll be back on track very soon.

43. Judith and Thomas

Judith and Thomas Member

Sending lots of 'fast healing' vines and snowflakes to your boy! So sorry you had to do this (and especially the cost!) but it sounds like you had no choice, and soon he will be healed and back to his old self again!

(((Michelle and Scrabble)))

44. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

Re: 4/1 SCRABBLE pmps 89 home now dose advice pls!!!

Michelle -

Sorry to hear of Scrabble's woes, but it sounds like he's on the mend!

Here's to hoping your boy continues to heal well, and his BG doesn't suffer too much because of this! He's a trooper - he'll do just fine!

45. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

WE are home!!! Pmps 89!! Almost think I should skip shot but need advice thanks!!!

46. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

bump

47. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Michelle, what is your usual shot time? Can you check back in an hour with another test?

Remember to feed only a small bite at intervals until the anesthesia really wears off. Even though BG is low, you want to avoid having him throw up.

48. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

since you just got hom and he's green now, and presumably hasn't been out of anesthesia for too long, I would definitely skip. Get some spot checks tonight in case he starts dropping. Some cats do and some don't, but it's way better to be safe than sorry.

Feed small amounts at a time so he hopefully won't puke.

Do you go to work tonight?

49. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

shot time is now unfortunately, fed him a little just now, can only stall til about 430

50. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Yes I work tonight, but dh will be home, to get a test, I don't leave til +3
    I would feel better not giving him his shot since he just got home and is still a little groggy, starting antibiotics tonight which is clavamox

51. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

He ate and is surprisingly walking around like normal (this cat is amazing) he is taking a bath now. We put a newborn t-shirt on him to prevent him from bothering the stitched area, hope it works, if not he will have to get a cone. I feel better not giving him the shot so I don't have to worry anymore about him! Will this effect his progress very much or do you think he will get back on track quick?

52. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Oh Michelle & Scrabble!!! What an ordeal, but there are many good sides to this--Infection is out & healing, no worrying for a week about a dental, which was done suddenly, but well done, and his numbers will now go down that the sore is out!! Sorry for all the anxiety you must have had today, but It will all turn out well!
    Yes, Moonie had the nom nom effect, when cat gets anesthesia, the effects lower the bg, as the anesthesia eats up the blood glucose!
    So No Shot tonite is what I would do after all this!!
    Sending Quick Healing vines to dear Scrabble, and some very strong tunaritas to you :lol: , I'll bet you could use one right now--
    Many Hugs from Us & Feel Good all of you!!

53. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Dental day 3/19 was a big turning point for Shadoe. She went in the morn and had no shot that morn, but I did give her a lower pm shot. She went all green, from pink!
    So no shot may be a great idea and see how things go in the morning.

54. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I agree, don't shoot, test and feed a little, and get another test or two before you leave.

55. Randi & Max (GA)

Glad your home Michelle and Scrabble is doing well.
    Don't worry about not giving a shot.
    You can call it a fur shot. Oops. furs shots make you go crazy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    You know I am teasing you. :D Just want to put a smile on your face
    after a really heard day leaving Scrabble at the vet.
    Give him lots of hugs and kisses, and send him a high 5 from his pal Max
    Soooooo shopping for newborn teeshirts?? How cute is that. I hope you got something
    like firetrucks on it.
    Since you decided to not shoot, change your subject to PMBG with the number and just right
    no shot.

56. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

michelle, in your shoes i would skip the shot. otherwise, you'll be a worrying too much when you're at work.
    it's one shot and not the end of the world...

57. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

OK NO SHOT given, poor baby is uncomfortable, I can tell, he is trying to sleep now. The vet said if he seemed really uncomfortable to call and they can give him some pain meds. I feel so bad for him but glad he is home and hope he heals quick. He has been through a lot today, me too especially since I got about an hour nap and have to work tonight! The only newborn tshirt I could find on short notice is pink with panda bears on it, everyone at the vet thought he looked so cute (so do I) but I think he may need a 0-3 months which I will look for tomorrow.( I know he is a boy and is probably mad at the color but it is cute!) I am trying to avoid the cone if possible. Hoping for a good night, DH will get a test tonight and watch him, wish I didn't have to work but gotta pay for the huge vet bill!

58. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Pretty nice to have that dental out of the way, and that he got a good report, too.

59. paige

paige Well-Known Member

(((Michelle & Scrabble))) what a day you two had, whew! NOW he can get to healing and feeling better, although you said he seemed to not feel too bad. Sending healing vines to Scrabble. I bet you feel so much better too. :YMHUG: cat_pet_icon

60. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

+2.5 93 he seems kind of uncomfortable, don't blame him! He just ate a little more food. Started him on antibiotics just now, sucks to have to open his mouth to get it in but dh opened his mouth and I put the medicine in. Can't wait till he is all better! We still need healing vines but thanks to all for checking in on us today!!!

61. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor Scrabble. I hope he is feeling better soon. cat_pet_icon

62. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Here are some more vines for your little buddy

[​IMG]

63. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle,

Can't advise on the shot thing, but can give sympathy and been there done that with the infection/abscess.... It is good that scrabble is doing well, better that she was able to come home, better still that she is glad to be there. Sore and infections are no fun, but it will heal quickly, just follow instructions, keep the area clean, etc. She will be so much better tomorrow. Your post today has brought back so many memories, from the dealing with it all to the price of dealing with it all. Good luck, and try not to worry!

Many ((((hugs))) and healing vines for you and Scrabble... cat_pet_icon cat_pet_icon

64. Deb & Spot

Hi Michelle! Just getting a chance to drop in (worked the two jobs today) to see how scrabble is doing. Wow, so glad you got him in to see vet today, with that infection and all. Also glad that vet was able to help and scrabble got his teefies done today too. That should help w/ numbers.

Hope Scrabble is able to settle in tonight and get some snoozes...sorry you had to work, I'm sure you wish you could have gotten some snoozes in too, lol!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.