4/10 Aria

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Hope and Aria, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

We're back from the vet for a updated I-Stat. I forgot to grab the results, but I think I remember most. BUN has gone down a little bit - at 52 down from 56, but is still elevated. Creatinine was up to 2.0something. He said all her other results were consistent with a 15 year old cat. He's concerned about her diet because of the creeping up of her numbers. He said we're not going to change now, but he's going to call a pet nutritionist on Monday to discuss the case and see what their input would be and then we'll discuss more on Monday. He's leaning towards a low protein diet but he knows I'm hesitant to change a diet that she's eating well on. She lost some weight this week down 8lb 13 oz (post IV hydration) to 8lb 2oz, but he said unless it drops further, he's not ready to be concerned about it. He said if she goes below 8, then we'll revisit. He said her hydration was good.

He's good with me lowering her dose to 1.6 TID (which was today's plan.) He was concerned about the 45 readings I was getting at nadir, but I explained how she had no hypo symptoms and was acting and eating fine when I took those numbers and that I had reduced the dose Thursday (1.8) and was planning on reducing the dose again today (1.6) but that I was giving her 3-5 cycles (24 to 40) hours on any dose before I lowered since she wasn't showing signs of distress.

We got the owner vet today who is a great guy and once I explained that I knew what a symogyi rebound was and that the 45 was not throwing her into one (and had proof from the 5-10 tests I run each day, he was fine with my dosing strategy and my slow reduction in dose. This was after we had the discussion on how Prozinc and PZI insulin's worked in the average cat and I let him know that 12/12 wasn't working for Ari and the results that we were getting on 8/8/8 and that I was doing the work to make sure it was done safely and for the benefit of Aria.

He's sure something is going on with her kidneys, however, so that concerns me, but we're taking it one day at a time. Gator - I may be pulling up your recipe and attempting it this weekend to see if she'll even try it.

Edited to add - On the weird (but good) side - Ari's #'s are really good today. She should have hit her nadir at the dr's office, but it was elevated to the 120's while there (which is still fine.) Got her home and here I am at +11.25 waiting for her to get to 160 (my current shoot limit) She's been sitting at 148/150/151 for the last half hour. She also had a 2nd half of the cycle dip. Only 105 (+9) to 97 (+10), but this is when she's usually spiking through the roof. She just ate about a 1/3 of a can of food and went walking around. Going to make myself wait a 1/2 hour this time. The every 15 minute tests are running through strips like water. Now is when I hit the debate of sticking to this dose and seeing if she'll go back to 12/12. Looks like I've got an hour to make a decision.

2. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey, hope. My recipe requires the addition of some nutrients that you would have to get shipped to you ahead of time. You can get from http://www.knowwhatyoufeed.com - they have procedures for getting a free sample or if you like I can measure some out and mail to you. It can be fed alone as a nutritionally complete food but it is kind of low in fat [I use it more as a food improver]. In the past I had been working on a recipe that has more fat but the P was too low for H. However, it might work great for a cat needing low P. So make sure to ask the nutritionist the minimum P [phosphorous] in DM% they would recommend for Aria. You could theoretically make a food that was very low in P and use it as a food improver like I do with mine [fat is the thing I am most concerned with correcting for].

I also have a custom recipe creation spreadsheet that knowwhatyoufeed.com made for me that has a few other ingredients than that on their website that I'd be happy to email you [PM me with you email if you would like it]. Also the owner of knowwhatyoufeed.com is an old member of FDMB [with one of the first kitties to go OTJ on Levimir] and has always been so wonderful and helpful to me - I'm sure if you had any questions she would be happy to try to help.

3. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Thought I would mention too that I have little faith in the scales in vet offices. They are often abused, and rarely if ever calibrated. And to top it off they often use multiple scales - so it is unlikely your kitty will be weighed on the same scale.

I weigh H on a MyWeigh KD-8000 in a lightweight cardboard filing box I set on top. I heart that scale a lot!
    http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-kd8000.aspx

And I use the same scale to weigh the food for H's Home Cooked :smile: [as well as cooking for myself].

4. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

You're doing a great job with Aria! Isn't it funny how Aria is fine at a bg 45 and Pru would totally bug out confused_cat Just shows you that we all have our unique sugarbabies.

I also agree with Gator about the scales in vet offices. When I first took Pru in.. I took her weight at home and compared it to her last vet visit which was three months prior... it said she lost almost 2lbs!, but when the vet took it that day... she had only lost half pound. I usually jump on my scale at home and weigh myself then hold Pru then subtract my weight. or if your vet has one of those big scales in the front office.. I jump on that and do the weighing myself and tell them to put that number down.

5. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

I dont know much about kidney trouble, but don't some folks give subcutaneous fluids 2-3x/week to help out the kidneys flush toxins? Sub q fluids are really easy to do at home. Cody doesn't seem to mind it at all and I think its easier/less stressful than the insulin shot...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.